Generic Audio Driver

ItzHype64

Greetings,

We could probably use a bit more info about your system to determine the appropriate driver/software for it, which would likely solve the issue, at least that's my guess based on my experience.  If you know the manufacturer and model number of your system, we could probably use that to locate the appropriate drivers for your hardware and provide links to the downloads for them.

If not, then please do the following:

Provide System Specifications:

• Please download Speccy from here and save the ZIP file to your desktop or another location where you can easily find it.
  • Right-click the file select Extract All... then click Extract in the window that pops up and it should be extracted to a folder in the same location as the ZIP file you downloaded.
  • Open the extracted folder and then double-click on the version of Speccy appropriate for your system (select Speccy.exe if using a 32 bit Windows version or Speccy64.exe if you are running a 64 bit version of Windows) and click Yes, OK or Allow if prompted by User Account Control.
  • Once the program starts it will analyze your system, please be patient as it may take a few moments to complete.
  • Once it finishes and none of the areas say Analyzing click on the File button at the top and select Save Snapshot...
  • Save the file to your desktop and click Ok to confirm
  • Go to your desktop and right click on the file you just created and hover over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Please attach the zip file you just created to your next post

Next, please follow the instructions found in this article to try and determine the hardware IDs of your HD audio device as well as your display adapter (graphics card/graphics chip) if you don't know the model names/numbers/manufacturers.

Thanks

Great, thanks, that's about what I figured (Realtek HD Audio is the most common these days, especially now that virtually no systems use separate/discrete sound cards any more).

You should be able to install the driver package listed 3rd in the list on this page called 64bits Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1, Windows10 Driver only (Executable file) version R2.82.  Install the driver, then reboot when prompted (you may need to reboot twice, depending on whether or not a current version is already installed; the installer will guide you and should launch the installation automatically after system restart if it needs to remove an older version first).

Next, after you've restarted and the Realtek driver is installed and functioning, download and install the ASUS NVIDIA driver package found on this page, just select your OS (Windows 10 64-bit) from the drop-down menu and it should be the first item listed, Version 416.34 dated 2018/11/01.  Once that's done, again, restart your system if prompted, then see if things are now working properly and whether or not you are now able to control the screen brightness.

Please post back to let us know how it went.

Thanks

By the way, you might also have an integrated graphics controller built into your CPU which means it may also require a driver to correct the brightness issue.  I see the model number E20 mentioned in your Speccy log; is it a Lenovo E20 computer?  If so, do you happen to know which CPU/processor it came with?  I pulled up specifications for the system here, however it is available in multiple configurations so I need to know which CPU/integrated graphics controller it has (if any) to point you to the right download for that component.

Ah, good deal, so I assume this is a desktop PC then, is that correct?  And your monitor is connected directly to your graphics card, which itself is attached to a PCI-Express slot inside the PC, so you aren't actually using your onboard/integrated graphics chip for your display (assuming you have an integrated graphics chip in your CPU).  If it's a notebook then it still may be relevant because the way graphics cards inside modern notebooks work is a bit different as they tend to be routed through the CPU regardless of whether or not you have a discrete graphics card.

Yeah, the Realtek HD Audio Manager is not displayed in the most recent versions of their driver packages.  I don't know why they removed this functionality, but I suspect it has something to do with the most recent major update to Windows 10 which itself had issues with audio drivers at one point.  That may be the cause of this issue, but go ahead and install the NVIDIA drivers if you haven't already and then reboot, and if it's still not working correctly let me know and we'll proceed from there.

OK, please follow the instructions in this post to use DDU to uninstall your current graphics drivers (you'll need to keep the computer offline until you get the new drivers installed so be sure to print or save a copy of the guide/instructions before starting).  There's a link to a step-by-step guide in that post along with a download link for the DDU tool.  Use that to clear off your existing graphics driver then try installing the new driver I had you download to see if it is able to install afterwards (you'll likely need to be booted into normal mode to install the new driver, so be sure that your internet is disabled/disconnected for your system to prevent Windows Update from trying to install a driver on its own, which it will try to do if you're online after removing the old drivers).

I am pretty confident, however if you aren't comfortable than you do not have to proceed.  You may contact your system manufacturer's support staff and request their assistance and they should be able to get your system working properly again.  If you need help finding where and how to contact them, then just let me know what the manufacturer of your PC is and I should be able to track down their support page and contact info for you.

OK, good luck, and no worries, we'll stick it out and help in any way that we can, and as I mentioned, if all else fails you can contact your system manufacturer and they should be able to help you get it working properly regardless.

Also, specifically regarding the Realtek HD Audio Manager, having a Realtek HD Audio onboard chip myself, I too noticed that with the most recent driver releases that it was gone and spent weeks troubleshooting it and even went as far as reformatting my system and reinstalling Windows only to find that the issue still persisted and that it's a result of a change made by Realtek themselves and there are countless posts from users around the world documenting this issue with their most recent driver versions.  However since it affects several of their most recent releases, and given the timing of it which coincided with the Windows 10 update audio driver issues I mentioned, I suspect that they did so deliberately for the sake of compatibility with whatever Microsoft changed in their most recent major update.

You can get it back, but to do so you'd need to remove the new driver and reinstall an older one.  I'm not sure precisely which one it was removed in, however when I reinstalled the one that shipped with my PC I got it back, but decided to update to the latest as I really didn't use the HD Audio Manager anyway and would rather have the various improvements and bugfixes in their latest release personally.

OK, next for the generic audio driver please open Device Manager.  You should be able to search for it in your Control Panel or START menu and find it.  Then look for a category such as Sound, video and game controllers and expand it and you should see the generic audio device listed there.  Right-click on it and select Update Driver Software... and then choose the Search automatically option, and if that doesn't locate a new driver for it, then choose the option to browse manually for a driver and locate the folder where your Realtek drivers are installed and select that folder (it should be under Program Files) and have it search that location and hopefully it will pick up the appropriate driver there.

If that still fails, then try running Windows Update as it could be the Microsoft HD Audio driver component that's missing which Windows normally installs alongside the Realtek driver.

Yes, if you want the Realtek HD Audio Manager back you'd need to uninstall the new driver from Programs and Features, but make sure that you have an installer for the older driver version on-hand to install.  If you don't, let me know and I should be able to find a list of older versions for you to try, though you'll need to try them one-by-one, uninstalling each that doesn't add the tray/Audio Manager back and reboot then install the next each time to test, so it could take a while.