TheThornWithin

"Download blocked due to reputation" warnings

I keep receiving warnings from Malwarebytes Chrome extension. They occur during different operations.

1. After having installed Windows updates, I always have to restart my PC. When I restart Chrome and go back online I will often see one or two warnings in separate Chrome tabs.

2. I will often see warnings appear in new tabs after having downloaded an image from Twitter, for example.

I have Malwarebytes Premium installed alongside Windows Defender on my Windows 10 PC and have never been notified of any malware on my computer. Any thoughts as to why I am seeing these blocked download warnings?

I have made some screen caps of the warnings I am seeing and posted them below.

MBAM_Chrome_Crop_001.png

MBAM_Chrome_Crop_002.png

MBAM_Chrome_Crop_003.png

MBAM_Chrome_Crop_004.png

I'm getting the same behavior in my Google Chrome, usually when I try to download a file. A bunch of tabs will open (and by "bunch", I mean over 30), all of them blocked by Malwarebytes for Chrome.

I reached out here more than a week ago for help and there was no response. I sent the forum starter rakeshsejwal a direct message and still, there was no response. It wasn't until your own aura posted her own request for help that anyone gave this string any notice.

2 hours ago, dcollins said:

This is a known issue we are working on resolving, no ETA yet

Thanks Devin. If you need logs or anything let me know and I'll be happy to assist :) 

@TheThornWithin I apologize for missing your post and not responding sooner. I frequent the forums but unfortunately completely overlooked your question and didn't see this thread until it was bumped by @Aura. It was not my intention to ignore you.

Some context here, is that we have been tracking this for a little while but it wasn't until recently we were able to see exactly what was going on. The bug was very difficult to reproduce in the past and on Thursday is when someone provided reproduction steps so we could effectively troubleshoot this bug. We are working on a few different solutions and trying to find the best one, which is why we haven't released any updates yet.

@TheThornWithin @Aura @Yas

sorry for the delay on this fix, as @dcollins mentioned that this was a really hard bug for us to reproduce.

I have just updated the Chrome and Firefox store with the v1.0.32, this should fix the issue. 

No problem. Thank you. I appreciate your efforts.
Kind regards,
Yas.

I had to remove the items it was flagging from my download history to get them to stop on the first file download after Chrome was launched. Surprised the extension is even scanning chrome:// URI's

Good to see it's resolved.