TravellingRae

Uninstall failed -- memory leak process remains

I am appreciating the irony that Malwarebytes is itself malware.

I removed the app from my Mac using the uninstaller and keep finding straggler files related to the app. One in particular is dangerous -- I am seeing a "Malwarebytes Agent" process in my Activity Monitor that is causing a memory leak and slowing down my Mac significantly. I cannot simply quit or even force quit that process -- I have to kill it with Terminal. It reappears shortly thereafter and the cycle repeats itself.

Has anyone found themselves in a similar situation and able to find the files related to that process? I've run a deep search of my Mac, including hidden files, and cannot find it so it must be under another name, this subterfuge being further evidence that it is malware, as is the fact that I cannot get rid of it in my Menu bar.

Screenshot at Oct 23 16-52-09.png

The uninstaller certainly should have removed it, so I'm wondering if you used the correct one for the version of Malwarebytes for Mac that you were running? Or maybe you just need to restart your computer?

In any case, the Malwarebytes Agent app along with several other Malwarebytes files for the current version is in the Engine.bundle that can be found here:

/Library/Applications Support/MBAM

You should trash the entire MBAM folder and restart your computer. Then empty the trash.

Shortly after I posted this, I found a whole bunch of Malwarebytes files in folders listed by someone who had a similar issue and it seems I finally got it all. I will never recommend MWB again. Once I run an uninstaller, I should never have to think about an app again.

Thank you for your response!

Hi @TravellingRae,

Below is the proper article to uninstall Malwarebytes

Please use the script provided in step 2, to remove all versions and components of Malwarebytes.

14 hours ago, TravellingRae said:

Shortly after I posted this, I found a whole bunch of Malwarebytes files in folders listed by someone who had a similar issue and it seems I finally got it all. I will never recommend MWB again. Once I run an uninstaller, I should never have to think about an app again.

As Al pointed out, it sounds like you ran the wrong uninstaller. In recent versions of Malwarebytes, you should simply open the app and choose Uninstall from the Help menu. If you use the old 3.0.x uninstaller with the current 3.4.x software, of course it's not going to work properly, and we do not recommend doing that anywhere on our site.

I am a 13-year Mac user who knows how to install and uninstall software and have only ever had issues like these with software that I should never have had on my computer. Blaming the user and making the uninstall process complicated enough that someone could do it wrong are signs of poor developers who have no business developing for Apple.

My issue is resolved due to way more work on my part than I should have done and based on how many people have had a similar issue, I remain confident that I uninstalled correctly and that MWB is not something anyone should be using anymore.

I would very much like to understand the exact process you went through to uninstall the software. If there is anything unclear about the process, we should fix it.

The uninstall process is documented in the User Guide, in a KB article on our website, in multiple posts on these forums, etc. Was one of these documents unclear? If you did not refer to any of them, where did you find the information that you used to perform the uninstallation?

https://www.malwarebytes.com/support/guides/malwarebytes-for-mac/

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1928

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/225121-how-to-uninstall-malwarebytes/