zorba

Possible FP Trojan.DNSChanger

Hi thereI got 2 instances of this  possible fp detected which I quarantined:- 

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Trojan.DNSChanger, HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{F0672BC0-CC99-4A3F-B690-3D27BB94A67F}|NameServer, No Action By User, [2874], [584838],1.0.7443
Trojan.DNSChanger, HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{68AF7EFA-E565-4D6B-BE5C-D0B05C9DC84F}|NameServer, No Action By User, [2874], [584838],1.0.7443

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I noticed that this issue (which only occured in the last few days) related solely to TCP/IPv4 DNSWatch alternative setting.   DNSWatch preferred setting on its own 84.200.70.40 was fine when no alternative setting was used. However when I used the DNSWatch alternative setting  84.200.69.80 MBAM threat scan removed the secondary entry after detecting both as Trojan.DNSChanger.

I repeated the test a number of times using the threat scan after each change.

To establish if this related solely to DNSWatch I tried using  4/5 different DNS servers with no problems, or issues, when using preferred and alternative settings together. Currently I am using Cloudflare  dns settings 1.1.1.1 - 1.0.0.1 and over the last few days there have been no more warnings from Threat scan.

This is something that you can easily test in 5/10 minutes by using DNSwatch preferred and alternative settings on ethernet/wireless etc, then running a 6/7 minute threat scan.

It is possible a recent update may have caused this issue. The fact that the issue only occurs with one dns provider may indicate a fp. You would know after checking if this is so.

Best wishes,

Howard