Protection money

MBangel

Recently my malwarebytes premium was hacked. Whom ever did it permanently shut down my web protection and ran somewhere protection. I could not turn it back on. I call malwarebytes support and they told me I had to pay them $199.99 To fix my computer. (It felt like an employee of Malwarebytes just decided to become an entrepreneur). It sounded fishy. I have my friend who is a software developer and computer hacker fix my computer in less than 20 minutes. He agree with me, that I got hijack by an outsource employee of malware. Luckily i did not pay $199.99, but I was glad to get my friend a Heineken. I try to report this incident but I was told that "malwarebytes is a website run business and I would not be able to talk to corporate". That was told to me by the outsource employee who consistently demanded $199.99.   I would have love to talk to corporate about this incident.

You can read all over our forums and our blogs about tech support scams.  There are plenty of shady criminals doing this.  It was not an ex-employee.  While your friend was incorrect about that, I'm glad he took care of your issue quickly.  As a general rule, we do not publicize our technical support phone numbers, and they are only publicized to business customers.

Do a Google search on "tech support scams" and see what you find.  You will likely be shocked.