Help, can't remove PUP infection??

My MalwareBytes detected a PUP.Optional.SearchManager infection and despite being placed in quarantine and then removing it, it won't go away, what do I do?

It seems to be affecting my Chrome install, so I've uninstalled that now and am using Firefox, but it can't be completely gone as it's back as soon as I reinstall Chrome. Who do I do?

Sorry for a double post so quickly but I followed advice from this link (highlighted by a PM)

And it still isn't solving my issue.

Every time I boot up Chrome I get a notification saying that an extension called Search Manager has been added, and it keeps bringing up 3 results in malwarebytes

This is after AdwCleaner removed 19 threats

Have you looked at your installed programs using the control panel and see if there's a program you don't recognize or was very recently installed? Also Hitman PRO has this 'Search Manager' in its database for removal. Another good program for Search Manager is ADWCleaner. Free for both programs. Search Manager does need to be uninstalled tho, and the registry entries will be removed using either of the above programs.

Hi, I've already used ADWCleaner, and there is nothing new or unusual in my program list., and yet it still keeps popping back up every time I scan with either ADWCleaner (the same one result each time) or MalwareBytes (the same 3 results each time all named PUP.Optional.SearchManager)

I'll try Hitman PRO next.

How bad is this exactly? I've also used Windows Defender and Antivir and they're picking up nothing, so I guess it's not a virus.

It's definitely something to do with Chrome, as I just ran MalwareBytes and ADWCleaner and removed and repaired the threats, then rebooted, and ran them again to get no results.

But as soon as I open Chrome they come back.

Am I best just not using Chrome? Surely there's a way to fix this though?

Ok, I've now attached logs from MalwareBytes, ADWCleaner and FRST (I realise now I've out the cart before the horse and should have done these first).

To summarise:

- Windows Defender, Avira Antivir and Hitman Pro show nothing

- My list of programs shows nothing new or out of the ordinary

- Every time I run MalwareBytes or ADWCleaner after booting up Chrome it shows 3 results for PUP.Optional.Search Manager for MalwareBytes and 1 result of the same for ADWCleaner

- I have followed the steps outline here:

but it still comes back every time after I've booted up Chrome and run either MalwareBytes or ADWCleaner.

- I believe this is definitely a Chrome issue as if I don't open Chrome after an identified infection removal then it is never detected again, this only happens again after I open Chrome again.

- I am at this point about to migrate from Chrome to Firefox to avoid this, but I'd rather I could get this fixed though. I'm sure how big of a problem this is or isn't; it seems easy enough to avoid admittedly as whenever Chrome displays a pop-up about this extension I can simply remove it from Chrome's extension menu, but it just appears again after I run either MalwareBytes or ADWCleaner. However, I don't know how serious this PUP is, maybe there's more going on under the hood I'm not aware of that I should be concerned about.

So please I ask your advice on this, I don't know what to do now, I've followed most of the conventional advice at this point and the PUP won't go away!

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

AdwCleaner[S11].txt

mwblog.txt

Hello, Welcome to Malwarebytes.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

Please download the attached Fixlist.txt file to  the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.
The location is listed in the 3rd line of the FRST.txt log you have submitted.

Run FRST and click Fix only once and wait.

The tool will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.
===

Reset Chrome...
Open Google Chrome, click on menu icon google-chrome-setting-icon.png or the 3 vertical dots located right side top of the google chrome.

Click "Settings" then "Show advanced settings" at the bottom of the screen.

Click "Reset and clean up" > "Restore settings to their original defaults"

Restart Chrome.
<<<>>>

Let me know if the problem persists

fixlist.txt

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am also having the exact same problem in removing the PUP.Optional.SearchManager.

I grabbed the FRST tool but that goes into an update loop that I have to end task to close down. Looks like that produces something I need in order  to get help in removing this permanently. Can someone provide a copy of FRST that actually works? Or provide some other assistance, I have tried Hitman Pro, ADW and also have MalwareBytes Premium. All detect and remove but it ALWAYS comes back.

Please help.. its doing my head in!

Chris

Note to mrchris76

You are not authorized to post in open topics.

Select the Start a new topic link above.

Explain your problem.

Download the version of this tool for your operating system.
Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (64 bit)
Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (32 bit)
and save it to a folder on your computer's Desktop.
Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

How to attach a file to your reply:
In the Reply section in the bottom of the topic Click the "more reply Options" button.
attachlogs.png

Attach the file.
Select the "Choose a File" navigate to the location of the File.
Click the file you wish to Attach.
Click Attach this file.
Click the Add reply button.
===

Please post the logs.

Wait for instructions from an Helper.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks