Remove Mcafee

xxmopar17xx

• Root Admin

No, you cannot even have it installed as most Anti-Virus programs have drivers that load every time you start the computer that are often hidden.

You need to FULLY remove any secondary Anti-Virus so that it cannot interfere with other security applications. If you really know what your doing and what you expect to happen then you might get away with it, but for the average user its not advisable to run or install more than one at a time.

I found it on Softpedia:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Mic...ssentials.shtml

It replaced Windows Defender and I ran a Quick scan and set it to do the same Daily at 10:00am like I had Windows Defender do.

Its one of my Layered Protection tools.

It takes lots of memory due to its main component msmpeng.exe and needs the latest MBAM to operate better on XP due to its startup delay I found out during the 1.41 beta.

the best thing to do is have only 1 anti virus if you don't want to be bothered because software is very tricky. Some software doesnt work well with others. I had avast and avira and they worked fine together and then i tried out spyware doctor and boom my computer was running on 100% cpu usage very very very slow. So it all depends on the software some work fine with others and some don't

Considering how passive Microsoft's antimalware products (ie Windows Defender, OneCare, MSE etc) are, it's less likely to cause conflicts. Kenny's had it running with Avast! for a while now without issue and if something is detected it's easy to just click the Ignore button for MSE's alert and let Avast! deal with it if they should detect the same threat at the same time. As long as it boots and runs OK then there's no problem, but testing whether detection still functions with both products running is also important. I'd try eicar and spycar to see what they do.

hello2007, avast! is an anti virus application and Microsoft Security Essentials is an anti malware application like MBAM.

I would not have 2 anti virus applications on my system as they seem to cause more problems than having 2 anti malware applications.

I have never tried Spyware Doctor as I have read that many people have problems with using it with other anti malware applications.

THE ANTI-VIRUS OR ANTI-MALWARE TEST FILE

http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

The Spycar Project

http://www.spycar.org/Welcome%20to%20Spycar.html

Actually, MSE is an antivirus. When MS refers to malware (or in this case anti-malware), they're referring to the term in the broader sense (ie viruses, spyware, trojans, rootkits, bots etc), not just the specialized stuff that Malwarebytes' deals with. MSE isn't meant to be part of a layer (although it obviously works on your system), it's meant to be a free internet security solution for those users who don't want to pay for an anti-virus or can't afford it.

edit: MSE is also the replacement to Windows OneCare, which is the same program with a few additional features (such as system backups via network and online storage similar to some features in Norton 360).

I tried to download eicar.exe and MSE stopped it cold

Category: Virus

Description: This program is dangerous and replicates by infecting other files.

Recommendation: Remove this software immediately.

Microsoft Security Essentials detected programs that may compromise your privacy or damage your computer. You can still access the files that these programs use without removing them (not recommended). To access these files, select the 'Allow' action and click 'Apply actions'. If this option is not available, log on as administrator or ask the local administrator for help.

Items:

file:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\_avast4_\unp109502025.tmp

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/T...atid=2147519003

I don't want to get into an argument about semantics but only offering my observations.

From here

What is Microsoft Security Essentials

You're too busy to spend a lot of time worrying about protecting your PC. With Microsoft Security Essentials Beta, you get high-quality protection against viruses and spyware, including Trojans, worms and other malicious software. And best of all, there are no costs or annoying subscriptions to keep track of.

From here

Why do I need antivirus and antispyware software?

Today more than ever, it's important to make sure your computer is running software that protects against malicious software (or malware). Malicious software, which includes viruses, spyware, or other potentially unwanted, software can try to install itself on your computer any time you connect to the Internet. It can also infect your computer when you install a program using a CD, DVD, or other removable media. Malicious software can also be programmed to run at unexpected times, not just when it is installed.

Microsoft Security Essentials offers three ways to help keep malicious software from infecting your computer:

• Real-time protection: ‍‍ When it detects malicious software, including viruses, spyware, or other potentially unwanted software attempting to install itself or run on your computer, Microsoft Security Essentials alerts you and blocks the software automatically.
  • Scanning options: You can use Microsoft Security Essentials to scan for potential threats, such as viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software that might be installed on your computer. You can also use it to schedule scans on a regular basis, and to remove malicious software that is detected during a scan.
  • SpyNet community: The online Microsoft SpyNet community helps you see how other people respond to software that has not yet been classified for risks. You can use this information to help you choose whether to allow this software on your computer. In turn, if you participate, your choices are added to the community ratings to help other people decide what to do.

Of course the 1 sure way to find out: install it on Vista or Windows 7 and see what it shows up as under Security Center :unsure: . Again, that does not mean it won't play nice with another AV on board, as some do, I'm just saying, it is an antivirus and contains a full antivirus engine.

You might also check out this Microsoft press release. It has more info on what Morro (aka MSE) is and why it was created.

My neighbor asked me over a short while to help with her system to set up Hotmail for her and her boyfriend because they wanted to play a Pogo.com game and I had to set up the Hotmail accounts for each of them and showed them how to access the game using their individual Hotmail accouns and they had it working fine but I did notice that they were using Windows Live OneCare and had paid for it. She was quite happy with it.

About a week later she called me up asking me to come over as the system was acting wierd and when I looked at it it was infected with Antivirus 360 if I remember correctly and when I asked how it got onto the system she said she did not know but it was there after her boyfriend had used the system. He loves to surf for pr0n and I reminded her that was the quickest way to get a system infected. She said that she asked him not to but when she is not watching him he goes wandering.

I installed the free MBAM and removed the infection for her and showed her how to keep it updated and made sure the boyfriend knew the hazards of keeping on with his ways. This all started because she had to take her system to where she purchased it to have her system fixed for this same problem.

I have not seen her lately so I don't know what is happening with Windows Live Care on her system.

Yeah, that was one of the main downfalls of OneCare, and likely one of the key factors behind MS's willingness to make MSE free to all, their poor heuristics and detection rates were killing them :unsure: . Essentially OneCare is Windows Defender + outbound firewall + AV + online/network backup capabilities. MSE is the same thing - the firewall and backup. The AV and Defender are essentially the same, in fact, it's pretty much identical to MS's corporate AV solution, ForeFront, but for home use instead of corporate. I believe MSE and ForeFront even use the same definitions.