lost audio output device

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

While rare, it is certainly possible that there is some kind of I/O conflict with one of Malwarebytes drivers and your audio device causing this.  What happens if you uninstall Malwarebytes, does the audio issue go away?  I just want to verify for certain that it is being caused by Malwarebytes first before proceeding because I don't want to alter your system configuration without knowing for certain that it is necessary.

thanks for your reply . How do I uninstall malwarebytes temporarily to test this? I had some difficulty reinstalling malwarebytes when I had some problems a few years ago. Is there a quick disable to malwarebytes so I can repair my driver and then reactivate? thanks.

You're very welcome :)

Also, if you have Malwarebytes Premium it should save your license key so that you won't have to activate it again once you reinstall it.  You can also create an account here if you haven't already (just click where it says Sign up down at the bottom of the sign in area and enter the requested information) and it will allow you to see and manage your subscriptions/licenses that you've purchased from Malwarebytes.

3 hours ago, AP2012 said:

My guess is that this is nothing to do with Malwarebytes but is the same problem which millions of users are having with a failed Windows 10 update, now withdrawn by Microsoft.

You may be correct.  I recall hearing about audio drivers getting messed up with the last update to Windows 10 as well so it's certainly possible.

17 hours ago, AP2012 said:

My guess is that this is nothing to do with Malwarebytes but is the same problem which millions of users are having with a failed Windows 10 update, now withdrawn by Microsoft.

Further to AP2012's comment, see Woody Leonard's 15-Oct-2018 ComputerWorld article at https://www.computerworld.com/article/3313322/microsoft-windows/a-second-bad-driver-this-one-for-audio-gets-pushed-out-by-windows-update-protect-yourself.  According to that article a bad Intel Smart Sound Technology driver (version 09.21.00.3755) was delivered during the October 2018 Patch Tuesday of 09-Oct-2018 that turned off the Intel Smart Audio sound on some Win 10 machines, and Microsoft released bug patch KB4468550 to to the Windows Update channel on Saturday (13-Oct-2018) which uninstalls the bad driver.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.15.0.88 * MB Free v3.5.1.2522-1.0.365