Yet another problem running Malwarebytes, etc.!

DaFlipp

Hello,

I've come to join the hordes of people having trouble running anything to actually /fix/ their computer. Here's the current problem:

I woke up this morning to find that Windows Police Pro had infected my computer. It made (and is continuing to make) using my computer very annoying, as I constantly have to close virus alerts; furthermore, it made me incapable of opening .exe files! Using Safe Mode, however, I finally managed to get online and follow instructions here as best I could: http://www.myantispyware.com/2009/08/31/re...l-instructions/

Step 1, which involved downloading OTM from OldTimer, seemed to go off without a hitch. Step 2, which involved creating a new registry file of some kind, seemed to work too. The problem came with Step 3, where I tried to get Malwarebytes onto my computer to fix things further. I can download it fine, but whenever I try to run Malwarebytes, it doesn't run. No error message, no nothing, just a few seconds of pointer-hourglass and then nothing. Following instructions mentioned elsewhere I've tried renaming the install file before installing /and/ tried renaming the .exe for the program itself to no avail. I've since tried downloading other programs like HiJackThis and Spybot S&D and run into similar problems - I can open the installer but not the program itself!

Also, please note that while there are now far fewer alerts popping up than when I first encountered the problem, I've still got some popping up periodically even in Safe Mode. They appear to be linked to wscsvc32.exe judging by the fact that they close when I end that task in Task Manager (though it just restarts seconds later).

Again, I am COMPLETELY UNABLE to run HiJackThis or Malwarebytes, please help me so I can get this computer running outside of Safe Mode again! I've looked at some of the other topics but the instructions say not to just blindly follow advice for someone else's computer, so I figured I should post my own here just in case.

Thank you!

I'm sorry, I forgot one more symptom - whenever I try using Google to look up solutions for this, clicking on the result links just take me to more spam links. I have to actually "trick" my browser by right-clicking the link and choosing "Open in New Tab" instead. Also, I primarily use Mozilla Firefox, if that matters.

• Staff

Hi and welcome to Malwarebytes.

Please visit this webpage for instructions for running ComboFix:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

• When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you.
  • Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt along with a new HijackThis log so we may continue cleaning the system.

-screen317

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!