Prevent Malwarebytes from running in the background.

Every time the software gets updated, It sets itself up to run in the background. 

Every time I disable the options in the app that seem related to running in the background, I set the Startup type to "disabled", and I disable it via Services.msc.

Is there a way that I can prevent it from changing these settings back again the next time I update it? 

Malwarebytes use to be this convenient malware scanner that I could run when I wanted to and only when I wanted it to run.  I'd like to be able to return to that

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

I

7 minutes ago, gonzo said:

If you only want protection when you ask for it, go to MY ACCOUNT and DEACTIVATE LICENSE.  You will then be using the free version and you will have no real-time protection of any kind.

I feel like I've done something like this every time the application has updated.  Is there a way to prevent it from reactivating itself again next time?

If you have PREMIUM and deactivate it, it will not revert back to PREMIUM until you tell it to.  It has NEVER had behavior to turn itself on without you telling it to.

If you do NOT have PREMIUM, you don't need to worry.  Look in the upper right corner and see if you have a button called MY ACCOUNT.  It doesn't really look like a button, so just look for the words.  If you see that, you have PREMIUM.

Just my opinion, but I think it is much more convenient to know that it is protecting me, AND that I can schedule scans to run when I am not using the computer.  Much better to be protected than to wish I was.

Just to address the original question, no, there is no way to really prevent a service's startup type from reverting to its default install state when an upgrade occurs.  This is because during the installation process it reinstalls the service, including registering in the system registry which includes setting all of the service's options such as startup type which is why it always reverts to an Automatic start state.

That said, there is an easy workaround you can implement if you create a batch file to change the startup type.  You can just run the batch file whenever you boot the computer following a program update/upgrade and it will set it back to disabled for you.  The following batch should do the trick, just remember to right-click on it and choose "Run as administrator" otherwise it won't have the permissions necessary to change the service startup type and shut it down.

sc config MBAMService start= demand

Copy the above text into notepad (not any other text editor) and choose File>Save As... and in the Save dialog box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files and name the file something like DisableService.bat (the .bat extension is essential, otherwise it won't work) and save the file in a convenient location where you can easily find it such as your desktop.

Now, whenever you  need to set the service back to manual you can do so by right-clicking on the .bat file you just created and selecting Run as administrator and it will do so without having to go into Services.msc and doing it manually.