zokka

Is there any way to lock my Malwarebytes protection?

I mean disable or hide the "Quit Malwarebytes" is possible? I have administrator rights. I click on it sometimes accidentally. ?

eioWds6.png

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

Unfortunately I don't know of any way to hide the option, however as long as you are running any version of Windows newer than Windows XP then you should receive a User Account Control prompt whenever you accidentally click on anything that would disable protection, including the quit option in the tray.  Also, if you wanted you could password protect access to such options by opening Malwarebytes and going to Settings>Application and enabling the Limit access to Malwarebytes features to all users on this system under the User Access section and then clicking the Edit User Access button that appears and creating a password in the window that opens and checking the box next to Protection (along with any other settings you wish to have restricted) then clicking OK.  From now on any time anyone tries to turn off or change any settings related to protection, including from the tray menu, they will see a password prompt so that it will not be changed unless the correct password is entered.  Just be sure to keep your password in a safe place so you don't lose/forget it.

Please let us know if that solves the problem or not and if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Thanks

I already knew this password thing. If I set a password to Protection, nothing changes. I mean 'Quit Malvarebytes" is still working and if I quit, the Malwarebytes Service stops running too.

Password protected Protection asking me for password, if I want to turn off a type of protection. It's weird - try it..

Thanks, I just tested and you are correct.  I even tried enabling the password for everything in the Settings section and it still allowed me to terminate it.  I guess in theory it could be because you could set up a password for UAC, but still, it seems to defeat the purpose of preventing users from disabling protection only to allow them to terminate the application completely which takes down all protection with it.  I will report this to the team in case it is a bug.  If it isn't, then it's at the very least a bad user experience so I will recommend they change it.

I will try to verify this tomorrow from a limited user account. From an Admin account, you can't stop a user from ending it period. I'm heading out, otherwise I'd do it now.

Thanks

It does not matter, if you check it with a limited user account or not.

Imagine that, you are using your laptop and your friend/brother/sister asking you to "please give it to me for a while, I want to check something". You don't start creating a limited user account. The person who's having your laptop, is checking+downloading something. This file is infected, so Malvarebytes alerts him/her + don't let to download this file. So he/she is simply closing the Malwarebytes application, and downloads that file. ?

The Eset security products can password protect their protection. Without limited user account! Malwarebytes can't - why? It's important! A Malwarebytes licenc is cheaper than Eset Nod32 Antivirus but...

I think Malwarebytes can defeat Eset. (price+function)

That's a very reasonable use case.  Also, thanks to self-protection which is enabled by default, even in an admin account, if access were password protected, no one would be able to terminate Malwarebytes without the password (short of uninstalling it completely) because the self-protection driver would prevent tools like Task Manager from being able to terminate the Malwarebytes service and processes from memory.

Moreover, I found another bug. If I set a password to protection, neither type of protection can be deactivated OUTSIDE from Malwarebytes main window.  (taskbar)

But

I can simply deactivate them in main window - without password prompt!

And I can't reactivate them from taskbar, but main window allows it.

Please check it! https://youtu.be/UL31JuI-Ybw

Yes, I noted this as well and reported it to the team when I submitted your other findings.  Hopefully they will correct this discrepancy because it makes sense to me for the password to protect specific features/functions rather than just being focused on particular interfaces/pages of the UI etc. (i.e. when "Protection" is password protected then it should be protected everywhere that protection can be turned on/off regardless of where it appears, whether it's the tray, under Settings, or on the Dashboard).