Sharing blocked?

I'm trying to share files and folders between a Windows 7 Pro PC with Malwarebytes 3.5.1.2522 and a Windows 10 Pro PC.  I've finally got the W10 PC to be viewed on the W7 PC but I can not get the W10 PC to make the W7 PC appear in its Network list.  How can I make sure that Malwarebytes is not blocking this?

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Ok, I've downloaded and ran the support tool.  Hopefully the attaching function worked. 

Also it took about 45 minutes to download this small file which is one of the problems we've been having with this W7Pro PC.  Internet throughput is extremely slow vs. the same on all the other PCs on the office workgroup.  Is there any way to tell if Malwarebytes is the one slowing the Internet access down?

mbst-grab-results.zip

Greetings,

I don't know of any issues with Malwarebytes that might cause the behaviors you've described, however a new version has been released recently that you don't have installed yet so perhaps it will help to update to the latest.  To do so, open Malwarebytes and navigate to Settings>Application and click on the Install Application Updates button and allow it to download and install the new version or, if you would prefer, you may download and install the new version directly from here.

Once the new version is installed, go ahead and restart your system and test to see if things have improved.  If they have not, then please provide a fresh set of logs so that we may continue to attempt to diagnose the issues you're seeing:

1. Run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced Options on the main page (not Get Started)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Thanks

Sounds good, and if it doesn't help you can try disabling the Web Protection component to see if that makes any difference as that would be the most likely cause if Malwarebytes is involved in the issue.  To do so you can right-click on the Malwarebytes tray icon and click on Web Protection: On then click Yes to the User Account Control prompt.  It will then unload the Web Protection databases and driver from memory (it might take up to a minute or so to complete; you can observe the CPU usage in MBAMService.exe to determine when it is finished as it will settle down once it's done).

If that doesn't help, you can test to see if exiting Malwarebytes completely helps.  To do so, right-click on the tray again but this time select Quit Malwarebytes and confirm at the UAC prompt.  It will remove all of its processes, drivers and services from memory, then you can test to see if things have improved.  If they have, then we'll continue to troubleshoot to try and isolate which component(s) is/are at fault.

Ok, I've performed the update and it says there are no more updates available after that one was installed.  Here's, also, the latest log files.

As far as the Internet slow down goes I have some suspicion that the Drop Box sync is playing a part in that so I limited it to 500Kb/sec where it was unlimited prior to that.  I also set it so it would not come on at startup.  

As far as sharing goes that still is not working.  I'm probably going to have to make an inquiry to Microsoft support.  It used to be that all you had to do was join the workgroup or domain and share what you wanted between individual users or workstations and you were fine.  Something is different in W10 and I haven't figured out what yet.

mbst-grab-results.zip

I did shut down Malwarebytes and, briefly, the share on the W7 Pro PC did appear on the Network category on the W10 Pro PC.  After I restarted both of the computers to see if the share access persisted the W10 PC could not, again, find the share on the W7 computer and I haven't been able to get it back yet so I can't say for any certainty that Malwarebytes is the actual problem.

OK, yeah, it definitely sounds like something else is going on because when Malwarebytes isn't running it doesn't leave any background components active on the system so it wouldn't continue to block anything or interfere in any way at that point.  It likely is some change in Windows 10 which wouldn't surprise me since a lot of areas of permissions/user accounts have changed in 10 and a lot of major features and back end components have been changed as well.

Anyway, if you do have any issues with Malwarebytes please let us know and we'll do what we can to assist.  I hope that whatever is going on that you're able to resolve it soon.

On 9/29/2018 at 11:40 AM, Kirk769 said:

I'm trying to share files and folders between a Windows 7 Pro PC with Malwarebytes 3.5.1.2522 and a Windows 10 Pro PC.  I've finally got the W10 PC to be viewed on the W7 PC but I can not get the W10 PC to make the W7 PC appear in its Network list.  How can I make sure that Malwarebytes is not blocking this?

And you have Remote Desktop Sharing enabled in Services, right? I believe Win10 comes with this option as disabled, if I'm not mistaken