how do to remove windows defender from windows 10

Gt-truth

trying to find out a way to completely uninstall windows defender from my windows 10 OS . but there is no option to uninstall it . and I want to remove it because windows defender AV isn’t working and an error while I try to update it’s malware databases ! and I want to replace it with KASPERSKY.

Edited by Gt-truth

On 9/27/2018 at 3:04 PM, Aura said:

It isn't possible to "uninstall" Windows Defender in Windows 8 and above, as it is part of the OS. You can only disable it. Simply install Kaspersky, and once it registers itself in the Action Center, Windows Defender will disable itself automatically.

I read this on this new update of windows version 1809

Antivirus products required to run as a protected process

The Windows Security Center (WSC) service now requires antivirus products to run as a protected process to register. Products that have not yet implemented this will not appear in the Windows Security UI, and Windows Defender Antivirus will remain enabled side-by-side with these products.

what this mean ?

so If I install another AV . then windows defender will be enabled itself again in any way ?

Edited by Gt-truth

Installing Kaspersky should disable Windows Defender.  Kaspersky has self-protection and registers with Security Center/Action Center so Defender should turn itself off when Kaspersky is installed.  If not, then you can tell Malwarebytes to always register with Action Center and that should turn it off.

If Defender is corrupt somehow then you may need to do something to repair Windows to get it back to normal so that you can then install Kaspersky and have Defender turn itself off.

Windows Defender has been a part of Windows since Windows Vista (Vista & 7 it was only AntiSpyware)

You can manually download Windows Defender definitions here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions

it might also fix some bugs (done the fix a few times in the past on other machines where an update got interrupted in the install or something else), after the manual download and run the updated definitions (might take a few minutes to install) then run Microsoft Update to see if there is a newer definitions.

For the lag check the free space and check disk fragmentation (I have seen less than 1% on a Windows machine and still have lag with keyboard input (10+ seconds delay after ever key press)). In the Control Panel look at the Security & Maintenance and try a manual run of the maintenance tasks (might take an hour or so).  Also turn off some of the Windows GUI animations (since Vista the Windows GUI is a performance hog).  Also check for some of the basic driver updates (there might also be a BIOS or UEFI update that might have security updates or fixes for performance issues or BSODs fixes).   Also look at Activity Monitor and see if there is a process that has high CPU usage or high disk usage for a long time.

On 10/6/2018 at 8:12 AM, exile360 said:

Installing Kaspersky should disable Windows Defender.  Kaspersky has self-protection and registers with Security Center/Action Center so Defender should turn itself off when Kaspersky is installed.  If not, then you can tell Malwarebytes to always register with Action Center and that should turn it off.

If Defender is corrupt somehow then you may need to do something to repair Windows to get it back to normal so that you can then install Kaspersky and have Defender turn itself off.

@exile360 

I’ve done to completely wiped off the entire partitions which is the OS on it and I have also done to format other partitions which they have a MB in the size and all those was on two day from now ! and I am going now to "KASPERSKY website" to download installer and to install it on the new device :)

and I will let you know how it goes !!!!

On 10/14/2018 at 9:05 AM, Chas4 said:

Windows Defender has been a part of Windows since Windows Vista (Vista & 7 it was only AntiSpyware)

You can manually download Windows Defender definitions here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions

it might also fix some bugs (done the fix a few times in the past on other machines where an update got interrupted in the install or something else), after the manual download and run the updated definitions (might take a few minutes to install) then run Microsoft Update to see if there is a newer definitions.

For the lag check the free space and check disk fragmentation (I have seen less than 1% on a Windows machine and still have lag with keyboard input (10+ seconds delay after ever key press)). In the Control Panel look at the Security & Maintenance and try a manual run of the maintenance tasks (might take an hour or so).  Also turn off some of the Windows GUI animations (since Vista the Windows GUI is a performance hog).  Also check for some of the basic driver updates (there might also be a BIOS or UEFI update that might have security updates or fixes for performance issues or BSODs fixes).   Also look at Activity Monitor and see if there is a process that has high CPU usage or high disk usage for a long time.

@Chas4 that is a very helpful reply ! so I’m back after I done to install the fresh copy of the windows 10 version 1803 ! and to install only all important software’s , however , the new fresh of windows 10 isn’t really help my new laptop to get back the original performance of the device (even my Firefox web-browser keeps hang and had a lag every 30 second or so .) so I JUST follow up your instruction here by doing the blow :

1. check for free disk space (the disk already has a lot free space and still a lot of the free spaces as I can tell)
  2. check disk fragmentation (this is done)
  3. check and ran the Maintenance troubleshot  (aka. system maintenance) which is built-in  windows (this one is done)
  4. turn off some animations effects by following some tutorial I find it by Googling from this here (Optimize Windows 10 Performance by tweaking Visual Effects) and this link (Want Windows 10 to run faster? Take a few minutes to try out these tips, and your machine will be zippier and less prone to performance and system issues.) and now my device is running much better ! :) but I’ll need to check for other cause as well .
  5. checking for driver update via windows update (is says I have the latest windows update installed ) so maybe I need to rely on my Manufacture Utilities to get the latest drivers update  or may be the right driver ? (if so , do I need to reinstall my Manufacture Utilities on the newly windows formatted ? )  
  6. checking for most ares so a lot of windows app process are already running and high CPU and disk usage and something are overkill them which I have to noticed (almost 90 0r 100 disk usage and almost the same for the CPU 90 or 100 CPU usage) and the Memory has a high usage at (90 or 91%) so I can’t to play any online game by using Mozilla Firefox so how can I fix the high memory usage while Firefox is open .

I have a lot to check on it so this post might be edited at any time :)

Edited by Gt-truth