AdwCleaner included in Malwarebytes?

Nwhat

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the AdwCleaner Help forum.

Someone will reply shortly, but in the meantime here are a few resources which may help resolve your issue:

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

While both ADWCleaner and Malwarebytes both target PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) as well as some of the same PUMs (Potentially Unwanted Modifications) (i.e. changes to system settings which are possibly made by malware), each program does still detect some things that the other does not.  While the last I heard they do still plan to eventually integrate all of the detections/signatures used by ADWCleaner into Malwarebytes, that has not happened yet so ADWCleaner does still detect some items that Malwarebytes does not, though not nearly as many as it once did as Malwarebytes has adopted a more aggressive policy with regards to classifying and detecting items as PUP in recent years, so if you download unknown software/installers etc. frequently which may contain PUPs then it is still a good idea to scan with ADWCleaner occasionally to make sure you didn't accidentally install any PUPs that Malwarebytes may have missed.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions or issues and we'll do our best to answer them and assist you.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Thank you Nwhat for asking the question. I was wondering the same, so it was great to find the answer here on the forum. 

I was on file.net, which always recommends Malwarebytes, and I noticed today a recommendation for AdwCleaner also (I probably missed it before). Since it was made by Malwarebytes, I figured I better check it out; I downloaded it; ran a scan. I noticed the button "Open Malwarebytes Premium", which I did, although I was not sure why. 

"Do I need AdwCleaner and MB-Premium?", I wondered. I perused malwarebytes.com, including a search of the site using a couple of different search terms (no luck), and then registered for this forum to see if I could find the answer here.

For some reason I did not search the Google, which would have led me to a BleepingComputerS.com forum post where a knowledgeable moderator quoted from Marcin Kleczynski's 16 Oct 2016 blog post:

Short term, we will work to give the product a facelift and enhance its detection ability. Over a longer period, we hope to learn from and integrate the technology into our flagship product, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. AdwCleaner will remain free as a standalone product.

So, that's a long lead-in to a suggestion for the Malwarebytes team:

==>Tell current and potential customers right on the AdwCleaner web page about the relationship between MB and Adw, perhaps in the "What it does for you" section.

Is it absolutely necessary? No.

Will it boost profits? Not in the short term.

Will it be one of those "nice things to do", but which most companies don't"? Yes!

And does that enhance the customer's experience of Malwarebytes? Yes!

And will that boost revenue in the long run? I'll give you 9:4 odds that it will. ;O)