xfreakazoidx

MB causing stuttering in videos? (not a virus)

I'll tell you why I say MB is causing this issue in a second....

So I built a new PC rig over a year ago for my gaming. I maintain it, run virus/malware checks monthly, defrag, scandisk, clean system files...etc  I have Win 7 (64). I also tend to watch Youtube alot on Chrome. But for a long time now I will have stutters on any browser I use on occasion. And it seems to build up over hours. To the point of as I scroll down a website it freezes up every 5 seconds or so. And my videos I watch also freeze for a few seconds. 

Like I said being a geek I have tried everything. Including virus scans (which are clean). Well today I looked at my Task Manager and noticed MBAM uses up about 200MB of memory often times. Not a massive amount mind you. So I quit MBAM while watching a stuttering video and BOOM.... no more stutter in videos or when I browse. I turned on MBAM again after a few hours. Sure enough hours later the stutter issue starts again. Quit MBAM again and the stutter stops yet again. 

So what about MBAM (3.5.1) is causing this issue? Is it sending alot of logs? Maybe some glitch in the software? I do have a few sites and files on my "exclusion" list if that matters. 

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hello @xfreakazoidx

You have an old possibly compromised version of Java on your computer. Please uninstall all versions of Java on your computer. Control Panel, Programs, Add/Remove. Then, I'd highly recommend trying to use your computer without Java if at all possible. If you really have to have Java please make sure you keep it up to date at all times. https://java.com

These service indicate the computer is not custom built. I assume you mean you customized the build from HP to get what you wanted. Nothing wrong with that, just wanted to ensure what hardware we're working with here is all.

Task: {05008840-F079-4D42-AF84-1504CEF28B7C} - System32\Tasks\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Assistant\HP Support Solutions Framework Updater => C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Solutions\Modules\HPSSFUpdater.exe [2017-09-20] (HP Inc.)
Task: {13177B14-4A44-4076-AEE6-5FBA975A2394} - System32\Tasks\HPCustPartic.exe_{42034917-EAFE-4E1A-B66B-11BA2A44BB60} => C:\Program Files\HP\HP ENVY 7640 series\Bin\HPCustPartic.exe

Unless you need, or want the information and remote monitoring from HP I would recommend disabling that stuff from starting. If not used it's just wasting resources of the computer.

Your Google browser is way out of date
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [2016-08-24] (Google Inc.)

You have large amount of items disabled or modified using MSCONFIG. I would recommend you stop using MSCONFIG to control that. Return everything back to NORMAL and then either uninstall items no longer wanted, or use a tool like Autoruns from Microsoft to disable, or simply delete the startup entry from the StartUp Group or from the Run keys in the Registry. Then you can actually use MSCONFIG for what it's meant for, a Diagnostic tool.

Please read the following article concerning the use of MSCONFIG
Msconfig Is Not A Startup Manager

You also have at least a portion of the Killer Network program disabled and potentially old network drivers. I would recommend you double-check and if available update the network drivers for that card. Older drivers are known to have some issues.

I notice you're also using the Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe which is okay. It's a good program but it has it's own pros and cons. If something is bad it will try to keep that bad entry too and restore it. It is almost 10 years old now and not quite as useful as it once used to be. Just keep that in mind when making changes or fixes.

You have the Plex Media Server also setup and running. Again, nothing wrong with that as long as you're actually using it. If not then it's consuming resources too

S3 GPUZ; \??\C:\Windows\TEMP\GPUZ.sys [X]
S3 HWiNFO32; \??\C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\HWiNFO64A.SYS [X] <==== ATTENTION

These 2 entries above may or may not be on the system anymore but they're still configured to run. If not installed or not used they should be removed as NO program should ever be installed to run from the Temp folder.

S0 tfqljfm; System32\drivers\cmohrj.sys [X]

This entry above may or may not be a valid driver. It's either locked from checking or is not on the system. Please see if you can find that file or not and if so see if you can upload it to https://virustotal.com to have them scan it.

Then, our own program is now on version 3.6.1 so I would highly recommend you update it. Normally I'd say just update it from within the program or over the top, but since you're having an issue already you might want to do a clean removal and reinstall.

Please let me know what you'd like to do and I'll be happy to assist you and give you guidance that you can decide for yourself if you want to use or not.

Thanks

Ron

1 hour ago, plb4333 said:

Hello. You might want to try the MBAM chrome browser extension. It works very well and avoids alot of issues between MBAM 3.51-3.61 and Chrome, especially with Chrome's extensions.. Worth a try.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/malwarebytes browser extension

Oh wow thanks I never knew that had a extension!

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @xfreakazoidx

You have an old possibly compromised version of Java on your computer. Please uninstall all versions of Java on your computer. Control Panel, Programs, Add/Remove. Then, I'd highly recommend trying to use your computer without Java if at all possible. If you really have to have Java please make sure you keep it up to date at all times. https://java.com

These service indicate the computer is not custom built. I assume you mean you customized the build from HP to get what you wanted. Nothing wrong with that, just wanted to ensure what hardware we're working with here is all.

Task: {05008840-F079-4D42-AF84-1504CEF28B7C} - System32\Tasks\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Assistant\HP Support Solutions Framework Updater => C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Solutions\Modules\HPSSFUpdater.exe [2017-09-20] (HP Inc.)
Task: {13177B14-4A44-4076-AEE6-5FBA975A2394} - System32\Tasks\HPCustPartic.exe_{42034917-EAFE-4E1A-B66B-11BA2A44BB60} => C:\Program Files\HP\HP ENVY 7640 series\Bin\HPCustPartic.exe

Unless you need, or want the information and remote monitoring from HP I would recommend disabling that stuff from starting. If not used it's just wasting resources of the computer.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [2016-08-24] (Google Inc.)

You have large amount of items disabled or modified using MSCONFIG. I would recommend you stop using MSCONFIG to control that. Return everything back to NORMAL and then either uninstall items no longer wanted, or use a tool like Autoruns from Microsoft to disable, or simply delete the startup entry from the StartUp Group or from the Run keys in the Registry. Then you can actually use MSCONFIG for what it's meant for, a Diagnostic tool.

You also have at least a portion of the Killer Network program disabled and potentially old network drivers. I would recommend you double-check and if available update the network drivers for that card. Older drivers are known to have some issues.

I notice you're also using the Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe which is okay. It's a good program but it has it's own pros and cons. If something is bad it will try to keep that bad entry too and restore it. It is almost 10 years old now and not quite as useful as it once used to be. Just keep that in mind when making changes or fixes.

You have the Plex Media Server also setup and running. Again, nothing wrong with that as long as you're actually using it. If not then it's consuming resources too

S3 HWiNFO32; \??\C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\HWiNFO64A.SYS [X] <==== ATTENTION

These 2 entries above may or may not be on the system anymore but they're still configured to run. If not installed or not used they should be removed as NO program should ever be installed to run from the Temp folder.

This entry above may or may not be a valid driver. It's either locked from checking or is not on the system. Please see if you can find that file or not and if so see if you can upload it to https://virustotal.com to have them scan it.

Then, our own program is now on version 3.6.1 so I would highly recommend you update it. Normally I'd say just update it from within the program or over the top, but since you're having an issue already you might want to do a clean removal and reinstall.

Please let me know what you'd like to do and I'll be happy to assist you and give you guidance that you can decide for yourself if you want to use or not.

Thanks

Ron

Ah ok I see. I'll work on this in the morning and let you know how it went. Thanks. 

I always forget about Java. Wow. Just uninstalled the old and installed the new version. 

Well my old PC was a HP. New one was built from scratch. But we have used two HP printers on it. Which we won't be using much longer. Switching to a Brother printer. I do hate how much stuff the HP takes up. 

Wow. I thought I updated it before. Hmm. I'll update it again. 

That is something I never really knew. Thanks for the info. I'll switch to using that other program you mentioned. 

41 minutes ago, xfreakazoidx said:

Yeah the MOBO I had before this one had a network issue and I bought a newer version of the board a month later instead. Not sure how to remove the old driver that didn't work right. 

42 minutes ago, xfreakazoidx said:

I forget to use it most of the time. I should just install the new version, but so stuck on liking the old version better. I'll try the new one out though instead. 

43 minutes ago, xfreakazoidx said:

Yeah just installed that not long ago. I like it but it does consume alot. 

44 minutes ago, xfreakazoidx said:

This entry above may or may not be a valid driver. It's either locked from checking or is not on the system. Please see if you can find that file or not and if so see if you can upload it to https://virustotal.com to have them scan it

Do you know what those are for or how to remove them? If it helps my C drive is my OS drive. I have two other drives for data/programs. The one old drive used to be my old OS drive but windows failed on it. So its a data drive now. Not sure if that screws up anything. 

Ah ok. I keep updating but forget that just updates the protection, not the software itself. My fault. 

Thanks for all your help! You've been amazing! 

I can help you to remove or modify things. Just want to make sure that's what you have in mind. I can move this topic to the malware removal forum and give you further assistance with a script to remove items.

Let me have you run a new FRST scan and make sure you place a check mark on the Additions.txt check box and post back both new logs as an attachment and we'll work on cleaning up the computer some.

Thanks

Ron

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks