xolobi96

Signing up is painful

I understand the need to protect against automated account creation.

There is a human answerable question. That's fine.

I really hate the recaptcha thing which asks me to distinguish between buses, crosswalks, cyclists and whatnot and each set of panels takes almost a minute to solve. I get 2-3 sets of panels because guess what I'm not perfect at squinting at those grainy images. ?

And then I forgot to click "I accept the terms" before click continue, so I had to do the Recaptcha and question all over again!!! ?

Can you at least add some scripting to the signup page so that the register button is disabled until the "Accept terms" checkbox is clicked?

Greetings,

Thanks for the feedback.  I will inform the forum team of your concerns.  Hopefully they will be able to make the change you recommended to simplify the process.

Hi and welcome to the forums, @xolobi96! Thanks for your feedback. The flow limitation is on the IPS platform side; we can share your feedback with them. On the reCAPTCHA, that's a step we must require as it helps keep the spam down as we get a grip of it. :) 

On 9/20/2018 at 9:42 PM, xolobi96 said:

I understand the need to protect against automated account creation.

There is a human answerable question. That's fine.

I really hate the recaptcha thing which asks me to distinguish between buses, crosswalks, cyclists and whatnot and each set of panels takes almost a minute to solve. I get 2-3 sets of panels because guess what I'm not perfect at squinting at those grainy images. ?

And then I forgot to click "I accept the terms" before click continue, so I had to do the Recaptcha and question all over again!!! ?

Can you at least add some scripting to the signup page so that the register button is disabled until the "Accept terms" checkbox is clicked?

I could not agree more.

Although I have never complained to them -it appears that Newegg and my HMO Humana have very recently stopped it.

I hope it's forever.

Whatever they do and whatever changes they do or don't make, I just hope that it's still as effective at keeping the spammers/bots out because at one time it was absurd how much spam there was daily here on the forums.  These changes have reduced it so much that if we see one or two spam accounts in a day it's unusual and most days pass without even one spammer getting in and posting.  Compared to the almost constant spam floods we used to get, this is much better (though I do agree regarding the button; it shouldn't be active if the checkbox isn't checked; that should be a simple and logical change to make and shouldn't impact keeping the bots/scripts that the spammers use out).

The anti-spam/captcha is the key issue, not really that of IPS. As such, it's actually Google's fault for such a poorly implemented method of stopping bots. It's annoying for anyone and everyone. They were supposed to come out with one where you never had to click anything, called Invisible Recaptcha.

I now see they're working on a version 3, which sounds promising. No one wants to be harassed by unnecessary clicks and puzzles.