Please Support Saving Custom Scan Profile!

I would like to be able to save my Custom Scan Profile when conducting a Custom Scan. I'm aware of the areas that are targeted the most by malware. It takes me about 10 minutes to create the profile of the paths I want to scan. I don't want to have to recreate the profile all over again each time I want to scan my machine. I couldn't find support for this; am I just overlooking it? 

If this functionality is not supported then I hope you find it worth the effort adding it. I would use it at least 3 times a week.

regards,

cutting_edgetech

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

While I'm not sure how well it remembers custom scan configuration options by default, a possible solution could be to use the scan scheduling functionality to set it the way you want and have it run on the days and times of your choosing, though that is a Premium feature so if you are using the free version it wouldn't be available.

With that said, depending on the areas you are scanning, they may actually already be included in the default Threat scan so if you let us know what they are (assuming none of the folder names include any private information of course) or at least an idea of where they might be located we can most likely tell you whether they are included in the default Threat scan or not.

Also, just for info, while the Threat scan does not check all locations on a system, it does check all active processes and threads in memory as well as startup locations so any active threats should be detected regardless of whether or not the folder containing those items is included in the Threat scan or not.

Yeah, I had already checked for that support in scheduled scans, and did not see it unless I overlooked it.  I have Malwarebytes Premium.

I could give you a list of the paths I scan, but it will be somewhat lengthy. It still eliminates scanning about 1/2 of C drive though.  I don't think they will scan all these paths, and I don't think I will have any way of knowing whether ones they are scanning without trying to watch every path being scanned during the scan, and checking it off my list. That's not a solution for me.

If they want the list anyway then let me know, and I will post it after I get over these migraines ive been having for several days now. Just know that it will not be a solution for me since I will not know if they have all been added to Malwarebytes Proprietary List., or will I?

If you create a Custom scan in the scan scheduler and click on the Customize Scan button just to the right of the scan type selection drop-down menu it should show a window similar to this one:

Arrow.png.40f9827ac1bc832929d9507cf8347402.png

If you click the > arrow highlighted in the above image it should expand the drive and list all folders on the drive.  From there you may go through and select whatever folders you choose for the scan to be checked.  It may take some time depending on how many folders you want scanned and how deeply they're nested, however once you've created it you can then configure the scan to run whenever you wish, including using the Edit function in the Scan Schedule tab to alter the start time/date so that you can essentially use it as a manual scan to have it run whenever you wish.  Just set it for a time approximately 15~20 minutes in the future of the current time and it should launch without any issues.

As for determining whether your chosen paths are included in the default Threat scan, it would be possible if you were to take a file that is detected by Malwarebytes and without executing it, create a copy of the file in the root of each folder you wish to have scanned, at the deepest level of each directory tree you want scanned (to test recursion for each path if, for example there are sub-folders within a particular directory that you want scanned).  I would suggest using something relatively harmless such as a PUP installer.  I can make some recommendations if you aren't sure what to use.

Thank you for pointing that out for me! I have obviously overlooked that option which would be quite easy for me at the moment after having a migraine for 10 straight days. Maybe I should just stay off the internet a few days instead of wasting forum resources. I actually am suppose to stay offline for the next 3 days starting today by doctors order (for migraines), but I just broke that rule. I had already made my original post before seeing the doc though.

I guess I will not be back on for 3 days. I really need the break though since being offline has not been an option until today because of online classes which typically has me online for 12-16 hours a day.

Thank You!

On 9/17/2018 at 7:17 PM, exile360 said:

If you create a Custom scan in the scan scheduler and click on the Customize Scan button just to the right of the scan type selection drop-down menu it should show a window similar to this one:

Arrow.png.40f9827ac1bc832929d9507cf8347402.png

If you click the > arrow highlighted in the above image it should expand the drive and list all folders on the drive.  From there you may go through and select whatever folders you choose for the scan to be checked.  It may take some time depending on how many folders you want scanned and how deeply they're nested, however once you've created it you can then configure the scan to run whenever you wish, including using the Edit function in the Scan Schedule tab to alter the start time/date so that you can essentially use it as a manual scan to have it run whenever you wish.  Just set it for a time approximately 15~20 minutes in the future of the current time and it should launch without any issues.

As for determining whether your chosen paths are included in the default Threat scan, it would be possible if you were to take a file that is detected by Malwarebytes and without executing it, create a copy of the file in the root of each folder you wish to have scanned, at the deepest level of each directory tree you want scanned (to test recursion for each path if, for example there are sub-folders within a particular directory that you want scanned).  I would suggest using something relatively harmless such as a PUP installer.  I can make some recommendations if you aren't sure what to use.

Ok, my migraine are starting to go away now or at least at the present time i'm not in much pain so it appears i'm getting better.

I'm looking at the box containing the available drives to choose from to expand into a directory tree. You have them marked above. The other day when you pointed them out my memory was  just blank from the pounding headache, but now I remember trying to populate that box. There were no drive letters in it, and no directories listed in it. I clicked on the arrows in the box, and they were grayed out. I fiddled around with it for about 15 seconds, and assumed it was for something else.

bad news is I uninstalled MBAM already because my machine was showing a pretty big performance hit unlike when I used it a couple of months ago. I made exceptions for MBAM, and Eset. I basically excluded all of MBAM in Program Files from being scanned, or monitored by Eset. I also did the same in MBAM so that it would not scan or monitor Eset as well. It could just be that it's time to reformat. I usually format my machine once at the beginning of the semester, but I didn't get to this semester due to many different issues that arose.  I'm not formating now because the new Windows update is coming out next month.

I went back to using MBAE, and i'm using MBAM web browser extension at the moment. The only problem is MBAM extension is blocking content of domains that I have whitelisted. I want get into that in this thread, but I did make a thread about it here at Malwarebytes. I can try installing MBAM again soon though to see if the box will populate like yours did above in the screen shot.

Thank You for your help!

cutting_edgetech

OK, thanks for the info.  If you do reinstall, be sure to download a copy of the latest version as there was an update recently so the latest is now 3.6.1 and let us know if you continue to have any problems.

Someone from the team handling the browser extension should reply to your topic over there as soon as they are available.  It's the weekend so it might not be until Monday or later though, so please be patient.  In the meantime you could try whitelisting a site a different way to see if it helps, either by turning off the two settings in the toolbar icon's menu (this just disables those components for the current website which is the same as whitelisting; it doesn't disable them for all sites as that can only be done through the settings page).  If that fails then you might try removing/reinstalling the extension as its configuration files/exclusion list may have been corrupted somehow.

Edited by exile360