Infected by PUP.Optional.Legacy and cannot get rid of it

Dear Malwarebytes Forum,

I have found a few topics of discussion in this forum which share my same problem. However, it seems the fix needs to be dealt on an individual basis, so I opened this new Topic.

In synthesis, I got infected by the PUP.Optional.Legacy adWare. The only program able to detect it seems to be AdwCleaner. However, even after deleting it, it eventually comes back. I downloaded FRST but it is never able to detect the adware. 

I attach log files for AdwCleaner and FRST. I currently just finished using AdwCleaner to delete the adware. Now both Adwcleaner and FRST cannot detect anything. However, the adware will come up again in a few hours (as it happened many times before) or after a computer restart.

May I please ask for your assistance in dealing with this problem?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

AdwCleaner[S21].txt

AdwCleaner[S22].txt

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

• Root Admin

Hello @yesterday2 and :welcome:

Please go to Control Panel, Programs, Add/Remove and uninstall the following program
McAfee Security Scan

Then follow the directions from the following post to clean up Google Chrome.

Once that's done, then run the following fix.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Ron

Dear Ron,

thank you very much for your prompt response.

Unfortunately, I do not seem to be able to access the same chrome sync property page as in the post you mentioned. Maybe because of a Chrome update? For example, trying to access "chrome://settings/syncSetup" redirects me to chrome://settings/people.

Thank you for your help.

• Root Admin

Yes, it's possible they have updated the interface some as Chrome has been updated a couple times since that post. Please try to see if you can go through it with the same intent. To reset Chrome back to defaults and delete your current Sync data.

I'll see if I can find an updated article from Google.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks