Why can I not turn on RANSOMWARE PROTECTION

All the other buttons under the Protection window work but not this one. It stays on OFF and will not turn to ON.

I have a Premium lifetime license.

Also in the process of trying to fix this I somehow was required to get a new license which I tried to activate. It does say I still have a lifetime premium license so I don't know what happened or why I had to get a 2nd license for the same device (laptop, windows 7 64 bit).

All I want to know is why can't I turn on RANSOMWARE PROTECTION and I hope to god I don't have to download and use the support tool for that!

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

Unfortunately there's no way for us to tell what is going on with your system and why Malwarebytes isn't working properly without some kind of additional diagnostic info, which is why the logs from the Malwarebytes Support Tool are requested (in fact the tool was created for these very types of situations where the software isn't working properly) otherwise we would only be guessing as to what the possible cause might be and would be very unlikely to guess accurately as there are a lot of potential reasons that it would be malfunctioning.

If you really want to avoid using the Support Tool then all I can suggest is that if you are running any other security software alongside Malwarebytes such as an antivirus then creating exclusions in the AV for Malwarebytes might help as perhaps it is being blocked from loading that component.  A clean install of Malwarebytes might also fix it, however to do that you'd likewise need to download and run the Support Tool (though you wouldn't need to post any logs if that's your concern):

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced Options on the main page (not Get Started)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

As for your license key, you were provided a new one because of a format change that took place since the release of Malwarebytes 3 so the product automatically converts your old format lifetime key into the new format for future compatibility (it is important that you save the new key somewhere as they might not always include an option to enter the old format keys which require an additional field for the ID info).  Nothing else about your license has changed, and at least for now as long as they provide the option to enter an old format ID and Key you will still be able to activate the software with your old license, however as I mentioned, it would be a good idea to note the new one it provided for the sake of ensured future compatibility as version 4.0 may possibly only accept the new format license keys which have no separate ID and Key.

• Root Admin

Hello @pdsnickels and :welcome:

As @exile360 said. Getting a clean removal and reinstall would probably be in order. If you still have issues after that then let us know and we'll take a look at some logs to see what's going on.

Here is the same thing Samuel provided but with some screenshots.

Please download the Malwarebytes Support Tool and use it to do a Clean Removal and reinstall of Malwarebytes

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by the User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a check-mark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link - do not click Get Started

mbst-welcome.jpg.2300dd6068ae92db1bdc8f0

• Click the CLEAN button

mbst-clean.jpg.f6ef4b074d793ab7a1028ff08|

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to remove Malwarebytes from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • Follow the onscreen prompts to reboot and reinstall Malwarebytes

Then let me know if you're still having issues getting Malwarebytes to start or run properly.

Thanks

Ron