Mbamtray.exe doesn't start in Windows

jniffen

I have a Windows 7 SP1 on a Thinkpad X220.
MalwareBytes version 3.5.1.2522 (Premium edition)
Component package version 1.0.441
Update package version 1.0.6625

From a cold startup or reboot the MB does not appear in the system tray and Mbamtray.exe is not showing in the process tab in Task Manager

If I  do the following:
   In the process tab and select the MBAMService.exe, then End Process, the Service will restart as expected and then the mbamtray.exe will run.

If i try to start the MB from the desktop icon it will not start until I run the procedure above.

I have removed my Symantec SEP from the system, will be installing Bitdefender after MB is working correctly, (hopefully).

I have used the support tool , 1-1.2.471 to uninstall and reinstall and still have the tray starting failure.

Attached in the support log for review.

I have seen other instances of this problem  but the ones I found were with W8/8/1 and W10, and disabling fast start in Windows fixed the issue.
As far as I know, W7 or this Thinkpad does not have the fast start feature.

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

The only potential issue I was able to spot in your logs was that User Account Control is disabled.  This could be the reason that Malwarebytes isn't functioning correctly since Malwarebytes, like most other modern software, has been designed to be compatible and compliant with User Account Control so disabling it may prevent Malwarebytes from receiving the appropriate permissions it requires to run normally:

UAC Settings
==================================
EnableLUA:            Off
Consent Prompt Behavior Admin:    Off

You may access User Account Control by following the instructions found on this page and the default setting for Windows 7 is shown in the image below:

Default7.png.0f8ec6d83ffac89fc89ba4deb7c7d7cf.png

Select the default option as illustrated above then click OK and then restart your system to test and see if Malwarebytes is now able to startup normally.  If not, then I would recommend trying a clean install using the Malwarebytes Support Tool once more but this time with UAC enabled/set to default to see if that resolves the issue.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Please post a fresh set of logs so that I can take a look at the new installation.  There could be some kind of corruption causing it.

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced Options on the main page (not Get Started)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Also, you mentioned that Symantec was removed, but I just wanted to make sure that you aren't seeing any of its processes still running in the background so please let me know if you do spot any.

22 hours ago, jniffen said:

I have a Windows 7 SP1 on a Thinkpad X220...

From a cold startup or reboot the MB does not appear in the system tray and Mbamtray.exe is not showing in the process tab in Task Manager...

I have removed my Symantec SEP from the system, will be installing Bitdefender after MB is working correctly, (hopefully).

I have seen other instances of this problem  but the ones I found were with W8/8/1 and W10, and disabling fast start in Windows fixed the issue.

Hi jniffen:

Was Symantec Endpoint Protection wiped off your computer with the SEP CleanWipe Utility?  Remnants of SEP might continue to cause issues with Malwarebytes Premium and/or Bitdefender AV and the CleanWipe utility should remove any orphaned registry entries and files left over after the uninstall.

Just an FYI that I see a similar problem on my 32-bit Vista SP2 computer (i.e., not Windows Fast Start feature) when I try to run Symantec's Norton Security v22.x and Malwarebytes Premium (v3.2.2 and higher) together in real-time protection mode - see my thread MB v3.2.2 - SystemTray Icon Missing After mbamtray.exe APPCRASH.  

I know of at least one 64-bit Win 8.1 user with Norton Internet Security who had the same issue, even when Fast Startup was disabled - see MadDemon64's thread Malwarebytes System Tray Icon Missing After Latest Update.   After extensive troubleshooting with Malwarebytes employee dcollins both MadDemon64 and I were able to demonstrate that the MB system tray icon (mbamtray.exe) would consistently load at boot-up if we disabled MB's Self-Protection module (Settings | Protection | Startup Options | Enable Self-Protection Module | OFF) - see post # 97 of that thread.

This conflict with MB's Self-Protection module was never resolved and I continue having other issues running Norton and Malwarebytes together in real-time protection mode (e.g., my Norton Automatic LiveUpdates will frequently fail if the Web Protection module of MB is enabled - see my thread <here>), even if I create mutual scan exclusions in both programs.  I don't want to run MB Premium with Web Protection and Self-Protection both disabled and I worry that there might be other conflicts between these two security programs that I haven't noticed yet so I've deactivated my MB Premium license and just use MB Free as an on-demand scanner now.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.15.0.88 * MB Free v3.5.1.2522-1.0.365

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

I did use the SEP CleanWipe utility then rebooted the laptop before running the MalwareBytes support tool , 1-1.2.471, which  the software was uninstalled, rebooted and installed.

There was no A/V on the system during the MB support tool.
The original log posted was created after those procedures were done.

Presently I have installed the bitdefender, trail version.

The laptop is with my son at his dorm, so I can't create a fresh set of logs, until this weekend.
Let me know if I need to run another reinstall and create a set of logs and I'll gather them when I get the laptop.

• Root Admin

Thank you for the update @jniffen

Once your Son returns, if the issue is still present then yes, we'll need to get some logs to see what's going on.

Please provide the following logs and we'll verify what is actually going on with your system or Malwarebytes program.

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link - do not click Get Started

mbst-welcome.jpg.2300dd6068ae92db1bdc8f0

• Click the Gather Logs button

mbst-gather-logs.jpg.1f7715f40c0a46d4b4d

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply.

Thank you

Ron

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2018 at 10:09 AM, jniffen said:

I have a Windows 7 SP1 on a Thinkpad X220....

I have seen other instances of this problem  but the ones I found were with W8/8/1 and W10, and disabling fast start in Windows fixed the issue.As far as I know, W7 or this Thinkpad does not have the fast start feature....

Hi AdvancedSetup / exile360:

I'm not trained to interpret FRST logs, but just wanted to mention that the Addition.txt file that jniffen posted today includes a reference to Lenovo's RapidBoot software.  I have no idea if this is relevant to jniffen's problem with MB not launching correctly at boot-up but Lenovo has a support article Potential Issues Caused by RapidBoot Shield Software that applies to Thinkpad / Win 7 SP1 users and might be of interest if an update to the latest MB v3.6.1.2711-1.0.463 (released 19-Sep-2018) doesn't help.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.15.1.8 * MB Free v3.5.1.2522-1.0.365

Thanks for the info lmacri, and I agree it's worth looking into, especially since Lenovo has pulled that software according to that link meaning they must have found sufficient problems with it to stop offering it.  It could well be that this is what's preventing Malwarebytes from starting properly so I would definitely recommend either disabling or temporarily removing RapidBoot to see if that resolves the issue.

17 hours ago, lmacri said:

...Lenovo has a support article Potential Issues Caused by RapidBoot Shield Software that applies to Thinkpad / Win 7 SP1 users and might be of interest if an update to the latest MB v3.6.1.2711-1.0.463 (released 19-Sep-2018) doesn't help.

Hi jniffen:

Further to my previous post, I should have mentioned that if Settings | About | Versions shows that you still haven't been automatically updated to to the latest MB v3.6.1.2711 and/or Component Package 1.0.463 then go to Settings | Application | Application Updates and click the Install Application Updates button. Clicking the Check for Updates link on the main dashboard or system tray icon (or scheduling automatic updates in MB Premium) only checks for new malware definitions but doesn't check for product updates - see post # 4 of luddy's thread Program Itself NEVER Updates for further details about the background update checks and "lottery" system Malwarebytes uses for delivering product updates. I've never received an application update via one of these background update checks since upgrading to MB Premium v3.x and the only way to make sure you have the latest products updates is to click the Install Application Updates button.

12 hours ago, plb4333 said:

?? - I thought that changing the startup mbamservice to 'Delayed' prevented this from happening with mbamtray not showing after boot up

Hi plb4333:

That's one possible workaround but I'm not sure it was intended a long-term solution.  The OP jniffen's Bitdefender AV provides an extra layer of protection but I wouldn't want to permanently configure the Malwarebytes service with a Startup Type of Automatic (Delayed), especially if I was expecting MB to protect my system from bootkit and rootkit infections.  As I noted in post # 6 of this thread, MadDemon64 and I both use Norton as our main AV and we both confirmed that MB will load correctly at boot-up if we disable MB's Self-Protection module (i.e., without delaying the start of Malwarebytes at boot-up), but that's not something I would recommend anyone do as a permanent solution either.  No workaround should be acceptable to users if it reduces the effectiveness of MB to protect their system from malware.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.15.1.8 * MB Free v3.5.1.2522-1.0.365

• Root Admin

I've moved your topic to the Malware Removal area so that I can work with you closer on this issue.

Please run the following for me.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

This will probably not fix it yet, but will clean up a few items for us.

Thanks, Ron

Bitdefender should work, though you might need to open Malwarebytes and go to Settings>Application and change the setting under Windows Action Center to Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center, then reboot if Bitdefender still complains, then see if it now works without any issues.

If that doesn't work let us know and we'll recommend another AV for you.

• 5 weeks later...