Free Antivirus programs

c2p

You've got Avast! and MS Security Essentials listed - are you running two AV programmes, or is that you just happen to have tried both or recommend both? I ask because I thought running two AVs (even when only one is "real-time" as oppposed to an on-demand scanner) is a no no and can cause false negatives and stuff. How did you find MS Security Essentials? (if you don't mind me asking).

I believe in Layered Protection as no anti virus application is 100% perfect.

I have avast! that is the first line of defence and MS Security Essentials is a second and its "real-time" detection does not interfere with avast! nor MBAM.

I also run WinPatrol that is a Security Monitor that is a third line of defence and they all work happily together:

http://www.winpatrol.com

By the way, MS Security Essentials is the follow on to Windows Defender and will be available with Windows 7.

Thank-you YoKenny :( I've heard others say the same the Avast! forum is good. I'm planning on changing several of my applications with my next computer, not just security programmes, but they are my main concern.

Hey I've just read your signature and I'm curious about something. You've got Avast! and MS Security Essentials listed - are you running two AV programmes, or is that you just happen to have tried both or recommend both? I ask because I thought running two AVs (even when only one is "real-time" as oppposed to an on-demand scanner) is a no no and can cause false negatives and stuff. How did you find MS Security Essentials? (if you don't mind me asking).

EDIT - I appear to have posted this comment twice, sorry! Not sure how to delete one.

I would NOT run two AV's, unless you turned the real time protection off and only used one as an on demand scanner.

I've had the Windows Security Centre report that AVG protection is switched off when I boot up too, not very often though. Personally I think that is because AVG takes an awful long time to load sometimes. Usually when it says that the AVG interface is showing all things working just fine, and I find rebooting fixes it every time. I haven't had to use the patch.

I asked on the AVG form about the SC stating AVG was off and quite a few other people have and still do too, All AVG say is its a fault on the part of MS and not them and Give you a patch to fix it but still every few weeks or so I still get the warning but I have learned to live with it!

It's nowhere near finished, but the article at the following link might help:

http://security.gt500.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Prevention

That's great info GT500, thank-you so much. I notice Avast! is absent as a good free AV, do you have any particular opinion that product? I was thinking of getting Avast! rather than Avira because Avast! offers a webshield and Avira free does not.

That's great info GT500, thank-you so much. I notice Avast! is absent as a good free AV, do you have any particular opinion that product? I was thinking of getting Avast! rather than Avira because Avast! offers a webshield and Avira free does not.

I like avast! and I am looking forward to avast! V5 due out in October:

http://blog.avast.com/2009/07/20/avast-5-is-coming-soon

avast! has a new CEO that has a distiguished history in Vince Steckler from Symantec:

http://blog.avast.com/2009/07/20/welcome-a...-i-joined-avast

but Avira is also good but it has an annoying Full Page advert when updating its definitions plus the free version users have lower priority of getting updates

I been using AntVir since 03/04 after dropping Norton 02 ver., all free software has some type advertisment inbedded in their programs. That buyme page is inclulded as a norm for me, auto click OK and the auto updates are downloaded/installed fast & easy. The AntiVir Guard stops everthing I download for testing. I can not comment on any other AV since I have not use them. We all have our favorites. ;)

Just too add my 2 cents.

I have AVG 8.5 on my laptop, with MBAM and spybot ( which has never had a virus, knock on wood.)

I have Alvira on my Precision WS370, with MBAM and spybot, got a trojan recently, but Alvira and Malwarebytes took care of it

My Dimension 2400 is another story had Norton as my AV protection but got an infection just the other day, have posted on the Hijackthis forum. Did not learn from prior Rootkit. infection, I got last April. This time I removed "Norton" and installed AVG 8.5. Either AVG 8.5 or Alvira I think is better then Norton, Which is a resource hog.

The Dimension 2400 has a Pent 4, 2.66 processor ,768 MBs of ram and it ran the AVG quick scan in 7 mins. and the Full scan in 13 mins. On my brothers laptop, the AVG scan takes over 2 HOURS. So I think it depends on what works for you and your system setup.

This is a great forum

Thanks

Malron