Does my computer have a malware?

Hi, 

since yesterday I’ve noticed a strange behavior in my browsers, I use Chrome (default), Safari and Firefox on a MacBook Pro.

Firefox had another homepage, safari too.

In chrome tonight I noticed that (possibly) google ads appear on top of my search results page. 

This all happened when I installed a torrent I’ve downloaded. Yes karma, but still..

is it a malware and something I should worry about? 

I can wipe the hard disk (ssd) and install my os again. Will this fix it? And is it safe to make a backup of the ssd?

thanks for any tips

Edited by pietrorocks

Thank you, it helped me with the problem by unfortunately only partially. I still have a strange type of ads showing above my search results, this goes for all searches with google, for all browsers. 

Here some pictures to show how it looks to me today and how it should look like.

I feel that my browser’s acts a little strange.. I changed setting but the problem is still there. 

Any idea?

thank you in advance 

B6652C32-0903-4927-9032-DBE210C5F035.jpeg

EA72A15C-E70C-451C-A8F7-130842EAB690.jpeg

C6EC1110-A48B-435A-BBCE-8F3243FA783D.png

Those appear to be similar to normal advertising from Google to me. They have been doing this for some time now. There may be some way to limit them, but I’ve never bothered to look into it, simply ignoring them.