Malwarebytes scaling Issues

With the latest version of malwarebytes the UI fails to scale with windows.  The text overlaps and can become unreadable.  I've thought this might be a symptom of a malware infection but perhaps not.  When I first download malwarebytes the UI is fine it's only after I update from within the program.

Is this a known issue or perhaps a symptom of a virus?  You can see a snip below of exactly what I mean.

malwarebytes scale.PNG

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

• Staff

They push out program updates in a metered fashion so not all users receive it immediately upon release.  It's basically somewhat random at the moment unless you use the Install Application Updates button located under Settings>Application which forces it to download any available program updates.  I generally click it at least once a month, usually around the same time as Windows Updates ship each month on the second Tuesday (known as Patch Tuesday) which is also when new versions of Adobe Flash Player are usually released.  It makes it easier to manage and remember by performing all these maintenance/update tasks by dealing with them all at once.

• 11 months later...

The scaling issue persists in version 3.8.3.2965 (current as of 8/5/2019, at least in the Upgrade screen, which is where you'd think they'd want to make sure it's a pain-free process.  I'm running W10 at 4K on a 17" laptop screen with magnification set to 250% so I can use it with the screen 3 feet away, and when I click "Upgrade", this is what I get (attached). Needless to say, I'm not about to continue the process unless I can read everything.

Malwarebytes scaling issue.png

• Root Admin

Hello @Razorboy68

Is this directly on your laptop or are you using multiple screens?

1. What is your current resolution set to?
  2. What is your current magnification when normally using the computer?
  3. What is the Manufacturer and Model of the laptop?
  4. What video card are you using in the laptop?

Can you run the following tool so that we can get some logs and see what's going on with the program on your system.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2396

Thank you

Ron

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

HI Ron,

Thanks for the fast response!

Yes - it's my laptop screen. And I keep magnification/scaling set to 250% nearly all the time unless I drop the res to 1080p (and turn off scaling), which I do for various apps that don't scale well or when using Remote Desktop or VMWare Horizon to connect to Windows 7 machines at work (as 7 scales horribly).

The laptop is an EVGA SC17 1070G, with an NVidia GTX 1070 and 17" 4K (3820 x 2160) non-HDR (unfortunately) G-Sync display. 4K is overkill at 17", but it was the only option in the closeout deal where I picked up this laptop.

I've attached the log. I presume there's no personal info in it?  If there is - even if there's a chance - please download it then remove it from this post.

I suspect this issue just got missed when scaling improvements were made elsewhere in the app.  I just updated to Windows 10 version 1903 build 18362.267 so checked again, but it still isn't scaling correctly.

Thanks,

Erik

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Removed log

• Root Admin

Thanks Erik,

The log should not contain any personal information unless perhaps you've created profile names using your real name. I've downloaded you log and will pass it along to development.

So are you setting this scale using the Windows settings or other driver software?

image.png

image.png

Ron

Hi Ron,

I thought I would piggyback of the original post. I have a yoga c930, with a 4k screen as well. Going to the display setting which you show above, my laptop automatically recommends 300%. I tried changing this to 100%, which solves the problem of malwarebytes being massively large (similar image to OP), but unfortunately, that renders other websites unusable, and also makes the mouse movement decrease proportionally, making it impossible to move the mouse quickly. 

• Root Admin

Thanks @kd31

I have provided the information to our internal development team and will have to wait and see what they come up with. If they are able to fix it then it will still have to wait until a program update comes out. If it's not in queue for the current roadmap then it will have to wait till the next one after this one. For the time being the 100% resolution should allow  you to run that portion of the program if you really need to and it's sort of a one time task and then you could reset it back. Hopefully the team can get this fixed up though without too much trouble and make it available soon.

Thank you again

Ron