PC will not boot after installing latest MB Premium

I downloaded & installed the latest version of MB Premium to my Windows 10 Home PC on Wednesday August 22. I  then ran a full scan with the updated database , no threats found. Since then, the machine will not boot. It hangs on the Windows login screen after entering my password. I tried Safe Mode, same thing. I tried System Reset, Repair, Restore (no restore points found), all unsuccessfully.

Any assistance resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

TMS54

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Thanks for the reply Devin. There is no other user account on the machine. Just mine. I tried another normal reboot, it hung on the login screen for quite a while, now a black screen with this text message:

"Reboot and select the proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

Sounds like a corrupted OS to me.

TMS54

• Staff

If dcollins has any other ideas then please follow his advice, however given your description of the errors and behavior, it sounds like it's possibly corrupted boot files/partition table or even a failing drive/bad sectors/data corruption which is along the lines of what you theorized as well.  It could even be a simple matter of a bad connection, but then it likely wouldn't consistently get to the login screen like that so I'm betting more on the corruption side.  Registry corruption is the most likely culprit or corrupt/missing boot files/system files in my opinion.

Your best bet if you have files on the drive you can't lose that you don't have backed up elsewhere would probably be to do a repair install of Windows, that way it keeps the data and just repairs/reinstalls the OS/system files and registry.  Most of your installed software should still work afterwards, but some may not since they might not be able to recreate necessary data in the registry, so those that don't work will need to be installed again after the OS is back up and running.

Instructions on performing a repair install can be found here as well as here.

Specifically with regards to Malwarebytes' role in all this, it is very unlikely that performing a scan, especially where no threats were detected, would cause corruption of the system so I suspect the timing was just a coincidence and that something else occurred during the last shutdown that caused this situation (anything trying to write to the registry during shutdown and failing to complete on time could cause it; this usually occurs during power loss events, but it is possible during a normal shutdown under some circumstances as well).  If you have an SSD it may be even more likely as certain settings designed to protect data which might result in slower performance might be disabled for the sake of speed.  Once you have Windows up and running again you can check by right-clicking on Computer in the START menu and selecting Properties then clicking the link for Device Manager, locating your drive in the list of installed devices (it should be under Disk drives if you expand that section), double-clicking on it (or right-clicking on it and selecting Properties), then looking at the Policies tab.  Ensure that the first checkbox Enable write-caching on the device is checked (it sounds counter-intuitive given what it mentions about power loss, but for SSDs this does actually need to be checked/enabled) and that the second setting Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device is NOT checked (this is the one likely to cause issues like this with SSDs; it has been known to sometimes improve performance, but it has also been known to cause corruption in situations like this during shutdown when it isn't able to complete an operation resulting in corruption of data).  Also, if you haven't already and you do have an SSD, I would highly recommend installing the drivers for it from the manufacturer, especially if it is an M.2/NVMe SSD as the native Windows driver is notorious for causing issues with the more modern SSDs, including data loss and slow performance and I'd also suggesting checking to make sure that the management software (if available) from the manufacturer is up to date along with the drive's firmware (they should all be available from the manufacturer's support site but if you need help finding them, let me know what model and manufacturer your drive is and I'll do my best to locate them for you).

Edited by exile360