kliebor

Looking into a VPN service

Is it ok to ask the opinions of some of the more experienced security guys here on the usefulness of a VPN service?

I have been seeing a lot of ads for them on many of my favorite tech you tubers channels, I am more looking for actual experience with and real world benefits not from an advertisement.

Also if anyone does use one or has done the research and subscribed to one are there any recommended ones? Preferably easy to use and configure.

If this is not OK or against forum rules please feel free to lock or remove this.

Thanks

Dave

computer sig.jpg

Edited by kliebor
typo

You will get as many different opinions on this as "What is the best anti-virus?"

Many vpn's offer a free trial, I would suggest trying out several different ones to see what works best for you and which one doesn't slow down your browsing speeds.

I would also suggest using a paid vpn rather than a free one.

I use Windscribe, works well enough for me.

You'll find some fairly unbiased (i.e. not paid nor affiliated trying to sell you on one product or another for their own profit) info in the articles below:

How-To Geek: How to Choose the Best VPN Service for Your Needs
     - Related: What Is a VPN, and Why Would I Need One?

Lifehacker: Why You Should Be Using a VPN (and How to Choose One)

You can also find user discussions which will include varied opinions from experienced users as well as novices both giving and seeking advice in the Privacy Technology section of Wilders Security Forums and you may also want to create or join a thread there on the subject as you'll be likely to find more individuals among them who have used/do use a VPN and have more knowledge on the subject, including which ones they like, which ones they don't and why.

Thanks for the input I will check Wilders Security, I have never really browsed around that site.

It looks like a lot of data on many interesting subjects.

computer sig.jpg

Yeah, they're definitely one of the go-to resources on the web for security products and tools.  They have tons of great info and discussions there all the time and even host several areas that operate as the official support forums for various vendors' products.