Context menu greyed out for network shares

Go to solution Solved by dcollins,

BEHAVIOR:

The right-click context menu in Windows Explorer has the "Scan with Malwarebytes" option greyed out for files and directories on a network share, but available for files and directories on the local machine.

Also, Scan > Custom Scan > Configure Scan has the message "(Network drives unavailable)"  next to the mapped network drive letters.  These are visible and accessible in Windows Explorer.  The checkboxes for local drive letters work fine.

QUESTION:

How do we get the context menu and custom scan, to work?  They have previously.

CONFIGURATION:

- Client:

Malwarebytes Free v. 3.5.1 on Windows 7 Pro.

Settings > Application > Windows Context Menus = On

> Local Computer Policy > User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Explorer > Hide these specified drives in My Computer = DISABLED

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoDrives=0

- File server:

Ubuntu 16.04

Samba 4.3.11

User/owner has rwx permissions.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

• 1 month later...

So are you saying that when we did on-demand scans on network folders with older versions and all they did was enumerate the files and made us think all were clean.

Just to be clear I'm talking about manual scans initiated from the context menu and ones used in custom scan - not the persistent protection modules.
Please do name another AV/Antimalware product which does not support on-demand scanning of network shares in 2018.

On demand scanning of a CIFS/SMB network share is the most basic of basics and you're telling me MBAM can't do that. Given the wide availability of gigabit and 10-gigabit networks scanning the network is imperative - be it network attached storage, iSCSI or whatever. You should set your priorities straight.

I'm becoming less and less impressed by your software.

• Staff

Yep, unfortunately that is what was happening, and why we implemented the changes outlined above.

As for being "the most basic of basics", Malwarebytes places a huge focus on our remediation capabilities. What this means is that when we detect a threat, we don't just remove the single point of infection (which would classify as "the most basic of basics"), we instead of remove all traces of infection that the threat dropped on your machine. This gets really crazy when you start introducing network shares and such, because once a file is on a network share, it's more difficult to track where it's dropping files and remnants. IE: Let's say you have two computers, Computer A and Computer B. Computer B is sharing a folder that has an infection on it, and computer A scans that folder. Computer A would not be able to completely clean up the rest of computer B, leaving whatever damage that infection did to the computer, left on the computer. The best solution here is to have protection on both Computer A and Computer B, then network scanning isn't needed.

Now that still leaves NAS drives which don't necessarily have a full computer, and the good news is that our real-time protection components will keep you safe here. While our scanning engine won't scan those drives, if you attempt to launch a file from a network share, our real-time protection components will still work as intended and be able to stop the infection from running on your machine and warn you about what's going on, still keeping your machine safe, and giving you the option to quarantine that infection.

In your example you're implying that any one computer on the network could be infected and because it would be impossible to disinfect/clean them while those files are locked - we shouldn't care if they have any infected files at all.

How about a NAS with no AV option. Family members backup all types of stuff in their document folders. What do you do when you need to directly run executables off the NAS. What if it's not a windows exe but an APK or a jar file for mobile devices?

How about a Virtual Machine - do I need to install MWB inside a guest VM just to scan the filesystem instead of mounting it as a share? Or maybe I should put the machines offline just to mount their vmdk-s in Windows so I can scan them?

I agree that in case of an actual infection an AV product should be run on the infected machine. However what I need more is detection and not prevention. I am well enough versed in computers to clean all the files/registry/rootkits/GPO hijacks and take care of the aftermath myself if such a need arises. However the way things are now - I cannot be sure that everything I have access to is 100% clean and that is not a good thing.

• Staff

I provided an example about running off a NAS, those files will be detected by our real time protection and can then be removed/quarantined. As for JAR/APK for mobile devices, our desktop (Windows/OSX) products won't detect mobile threats anyways, you want to keep specific protection on those devices.