Reports Not Listed

Left my computer on for about three hours to go out and do some stuff. When I came back, my display was asleep (had to wake back up) and I noticed that from the time I left till the time I'd come back, nothing was reported. I noticed there WAS a report listed in the drop down that wasn't listed in the reports section as well. Note that the main window for MB itself was closed, as well and the scans were routine, not manual. 

What's going on here?

Edited by Tokyo-Eye

• Staff

I'm not sure that I understand the problem. If your computer went to sleep, it would be normal for nothing to have happened. I'm not sure that I understand what you mean about a report being listed in the drop down... can you clarify what drop down you're referring to? There's not actually any kind of menu in Malwarebytes for Mac that shows a list of reports.

Downloaded it straight from Malwarebytes.com. The dropdown is on my desktop and the reports are in the program itself? I actually posted this in the wrong forum, as it should be in the general support section.

Initially, I had the scans set to every hour (on the half hour). I closed the main window and I went out at around 2:15 and it listed the last scan when I got back at around 5:33, which is was show in the dropdown in the above pic, but not in the below pics report section.

I did another quick experiment where I changed the clock to start a scan at the top of the hour, every hour. It did it at 7, with the window closed and gave me a report, but again, when the 9 o'clock rolled around, it just gave me a report in that drop down, but not in the reports section. I'm assuming it's just an issue with the display going to sleep at this point. 

Hope the pics help.

2130673980_ScreenShot2018-08-18at9_49_23PM.png.74168ed9c89ee5d6cfa06dc873006304.png

452441627_ScreenShot2018-08-18at9_53_40PM.png.f8d7d41bc622cff768f4a99d8370d279.png

Thing is, I also noticed this happen when my computer was on and I was using it, but the Malwarebytes window was closed (while the program itself was on). So I'll get the update that it scanned in that dropdown menu, but not in the actual reports. 

I noticed that if I schedule a new scan, it will report it on the first hour, but every hour after that, it won't. I also opened my laptop this morning and noticed that it didn't even attempt the next scheduled scan. Is this maybe a potential problem with the trial version?

Edited by Tokyo-Eye

Another quick update, now it's not even listing them (or actively scanning for that matter) while the window itself is open. It just claims it scanned in the dropdown. 

This is very bizarre given that it listed all of them from Friday night into Saturday afternoon. 

Edited by Tokyo-Eye

On 8/19/2018 at 4:51 PM, treed said:

I'm still not sure what you're referring to in the menu. Are you mistaking the date of the last protection update for a scan? That's not what it is.

This was more or less the issue, so yes, thank you for clearing that up. I found the best way to keep a consistent scan going is to keep the Malwarebytes window open and it will scan accordingly. If it's closed, it doesn't seem to do so, even when I'm just casually browsing. But you were right, I was confusing scans with protection updates. 

Thanks for the reply. 

Edited by Tokyo-Eye

Yes, of course you must keep the app open with the window showing for any manually initiated scans to complete. You can still hide the window if you find it distracting. Scheduled scans and RTProtection scans do not require the app to be open.

17 minutes ago, alvarnell said:

Yes, of course you must keep the app open with the window showing for any manually initiated scans to complete. You can still hide the window if you find it distracting. Scheduled scans and RTProtection scans do not require the app to be open.

Yeah, it was just being kind of inconsistent when I first downloaded it. Like, I'd set for a certain time, close/hide the window (not the program), and it wouldn't scan. Then today, I noticed it began to scan with the window closed. Maybe it was just a bit finicky? 

You normally should not close the last window on a Mac as many apps are coded to quit the app when the last window is closed. I don't think that's the case here, but hiding is always best.