Computer freezing with lines on screen

Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 560 running Windows 7. It has been freezing at random times with striped lines appearing across the screen. The computer can freeze in safe mode. I have ruled out the possibility of a virus, since I have factory reset the computer and the problem has occurred after the reset. I am also sure that the monitor does not have problems since it functions normally doing other things. I have searched online and was wondering whether the computer had a graphics card issue. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

If you get get into the Dell Inspiron 560 BIOS with no video detriment, Yes.  I would say you do have a video issue which is exercised under a higher resolution mode under Windows.  If you are using the embedded Video, get a PCIe x16 video card. 

NOTE:  It is also an older Dual Core CPU based system so maybe...  It is time for a new PC ?

Edited by David H. Lipman

The striped lines does sound like a graphics card/chip issue.

Maybe just getting too hot? Try Speccy or similar to check your temps. Clean the vent slots, make sure any cooling fans are running, etc.

In the end though it may need a new graphics card/chip.