Paragon Drive Backup 9 PRO Free for 3 days

srtools1980y

That's impossible. You'd have to use multiple (and I mean a lot) CDs or DVDs to get that much space. A single CD at most can hold 700mb while a DVD can do 4.7gb. Dual layer DVDs can hold 8.5gb. An internal or external HDD for 500gb would be much more feasible for something like that

That's impossible. You'd have to use multiple (and I mean a lot) CDs or DVDs to get that much space. A single CD at most can hold 700mb while a DVD can do 4.7gb. Dual layer DVDs can hold 8.5gb. An internal or external HDD for 500gb would be much more feasible for something like that

thats what i was thinking, people keep recommending me to do a disk image of my data but how can i do a disk image of 500gb lol

Oh wait... Disk imaging programs work a little different. The image will backup all of your data but it will be compressed so it won't be 500GB. It will be considerably less.

can i do that with this? how would it work i just burn a image with a iso program and just open it up whenever i need to put the programs/data back on my computer?

• Staff

Most (if not all) disk imaging software allows you to store the images on hard drives (internal or external) to use for restoration with a bootable CD that the software allows you to create. That's how Macrium Reflect works (also free) by letting you create a special bootable Linux based CD to restore your disk image from :( .

• Staff

The method I referred to used a seperate bootable CD created using the backup software that would let you choose the location of your backup image and install it.

I'd imagine if you used the other software to backup to CD's or DVD's that Disc 1 would be bootable and after it installed it's part, would request Disc 2, which in turn would request Disc 3 and so on.

edit If accessing files you backed up using such a software, then you'd have to run the backup software itself to restore the files. The method I referred to above would be if you backed up your installation of Windows itself, as well as all the installed programs and files etc.

The method I referred to used a seperate bootable CD created using the backup software that would let you choose the location of your backup image and install it.

I'd imagine if you used the other software to backup to CD's or DVD's that Disc 1 would be bootable and after it installed it's part, would request Disc 2, which in turn would request Disc 3 and so on.

edit If accessing files you backed up using such a software, then you'd have to run the backup software itself to restore the files. The method I referred to above would be if you backed up your installation of Windows itself, as well as all the installed programs and files etc.

can you put a password on the cd so not just anyone can access it? maybe truecrypt will that work

• Staff

Honestly, I'm not sure if you could or not, although I'm sure some backup software does offer that feature. I don't see much point in it myself though, because if anyone has access to the physical discs then they have access to your home which would certainly be enough for them to have direct access to your PC. If doing remote backups I could see a benefit in password protecting them though ;) .