Rhp

Consumer Reports bad Malwarebytes review

Consumer Reports just gave Malwarebytes a very poor review. I’d like the company’s response. Or other users too

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

2 hours ago, Rhp said:

Consumer Reports just gave Malwarebytes a very poor review. I’d like the company’s response. Or other users too

a link, please?

Latest issue. Try googling it. May require membership 

Lol. I’ve read it. I’d like a company response. The onus is on the company that took my money for a bad product. Nor do I care for your tone. I’m not here to serve you or curry your favor.

I’d like a company response.

Hard to give a response when we can't find the report.

From a quick look at the site (no I'm not going to join) they have Malwarebytes wrongly classified under 'Anti-Virus' so of course it doesn't tick the usual AV boxes.

If you try to compare a motorbike against a bunch of trucks then it's not going to tick the same boxes because it's meant to do a different job.

What they said was, "Opening your wallet does not guarantee you a better product. The $60 Malwarebytes Premium and $50 Dr. Web Security Space suites both scored lower than Windows Defender without offering any meaningful extras. The $50 G Data Internet Security - 2018 at least had email protection and spam and parental filters."

They show two versions on their site. One for $28 and one for $60. The $28 gets about 7 user reviews - very favorable. The $60 only has one review, not favorable, but, something doesn't seem right. The person states, Cost is 210.00 [Ed. !?!?] "Just a complete RIP off that you can't get your money back. Do not let them on your computer."  [I think this user may have accidentally written a review for the wrong product.]

$28 (I think this product may be an old version)
Highs
•Used with Windows Defender, very good at blocking most Web threats
•Better than Defender at detecting malware execution

Lows
•Not as easy to use as most
•Weak at detecting malware in a scan
•Requires restarting to complete disinfection
•Not good at blocking phishing Websites
•Lacks parental filter and spam filter

$60
Malwarebytes Premium 2018

Highs
Nothing noteworthy

Lows
•Does not have informative help
•Does not have a firewall
•Does not have a spam filter
•Does not have a parental filter
•Does not have a password manager
•Does not have back-up
•Does not have e-mail protection

Personally - I think the product is great.

No Informative help - For most users, it's a "set it and forget it" product that silently does what it should - keeps you safe.

No firewall through no email protection  - Ok. Leave it up to the purchaser to decide if those features are something they want/need. (Though I would think if malware came in through an email, MB would stop it.)

So, despite Consumer Reports review, what you do get is a product that is one of the best at keeping you safe. Doesn't matter if you call it a virus, malware, hacked, breached, exploited, potentially unwanted program, potentially unwanted modification - we all have an idea of what we want and expect our computers to do. Malwarebytes does an incredible job of keeping the computer doing exactly what you expect it to do, and nothing it shouldn't do, with no surprises. And, yes, I've had problems with Malwarebytes. I've actually had some very serious problems in a corporate environment with Malwarebytes due to errors on their part. It hasn't all been a lovely joy ride. And I do see all the enquiries on the forums here with people having problems. Sometimes a computer is messed up, or, just has an unusual configuration and you may need MB's tech support to help you out. I can't think of any product that when you release it to the masses, 100s of thousands of users (or more), that will always work just right. It is not possible, provided the program does anything of notable complexity. Computers are just too complicated due to a huge number of variables and possible configurations. Windows and OS X aren't close operating systems (kind of like iOS). You can modify Windows/OS X in so many ways (hence the term PC - personal computer - you can personalize it to your liking), and programs can modify the computer in more ways than could ever be conceived - even by those who write the operating system. So, in the end, you try to find the programs that overall, have a good track record, and, the one that works best for you. For all the computers I've had and supported, I know a lot of IT techs, myself included, rely on Malwarebytes and are grateful the product. In the end, it makes our lives easier.

Ok - now go ahead and bash me for my views.

Bash you? No sir. I appreciate your thoughtful response. I just wish the company were as concerned. Thank you 

Most of the "Lows" listed are features you would expect in an Antivirus Internet Security suite, and/or are just plain bloat.

Does not have an informative help?

There's a ? icon on the right of every section in the Settings and if you click on it, you're being taken to the online help with all the information you need.

Weak at detecting malware in a scan?

Since when is Consumer Reports an authority in independant Antivirus and Antimalware testing? What's their methodology? Where are the tests results? How many samples did they use? Were the tests done in real-world situations?

Requires restarting to complete disinfection

Every single Antivirus and Antimalware on the market will require a full restart to complete a disinfection. If you're attempting to remove rootkits for instance, the ones that loads on startup and are protected when Windows is running, you can only do so either before the shutdown of the system, or really early in the boot, before they get started. So I'll assume that every single Antivirus and Antimalware tested by Consumer Reports get this in their "Cons" by default.

Not good at blocking phishing Websites

See my reply for the "Weak at detecting malware in a scan".

Lacks parental filter and spam filter

Malwarebytes isn't an Antivirus, and therefore have no use for such options. Personally, parental filters don't even belong in Antivirus and Antimalware products anymore, but in specialized software, hell, even routers.

Does not have a firewall

Once again, Malwarebytes isn't an Antivirus. Also, Emsisoft recently dropped their firewall component from their product as well, because since Windows 7, the Windows Firewall does a really good job by itself.

https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/28637/emsisoft-windows-firewall-protection/

Does not have a password manager

Useless bloat. You'll actually see online that a lot of users are against companies that bundles features like this (password manager, back up, etc.) in their Antivirus products to raise the price, when you could (and should) use dedicated solutions for these aspects. I would trust LastPass, KeePass, 1Password, etc. anyday over the password manager of an Antivirus, since it's NOT their speciality, nor what they strive to deliver.

Does not have back-up

My reply above applies for this as well.

Does not have e-mail protection

Once again, Malwarebytes isn't an Antivirus. Your email protection should come from your email provider directly (Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo, etc), it's their job after all. For business purposes, you should have a business grade email security product (ie: ProofPoint, Barracuda, etc). Also, you can be sure that if you receive an email with an infection attachment, Malwarebytes will still be there to prevent it from infecting your system, and this via 4 different layers. So yes, you do have "email protection".

tl;dr: It looks like Consumer Reports doesn't know a lot when it comes to security products and learn the different between Next-Gen products and Traditional Products.

And, as the person who writes the user guides, I can assure you there is informative help for every single product Malwarebytes makes.

the three to date substantive replies do a lot to allay my concerns. I’m not independently able to judge the merits. Which is why I belong to consumer Reports. Per the responses, it’s wrong on this one. They’ve been wrong before. I bought my 1972 fiat  on their recommendation:  worst car I ever owned.

I would honestly not take recommendations from such a "general" website, that reviews everything from A to Z. The chances of them having a real expert for every little thing are really slim. I don't want to bash the author of that report, but as soon as I saw this:

Requires restarting to complete disinfection

I knew that the author didn't fully understand how malware removal and malware in general works, which basically voided his whole review in my book.

Edited by Aura

21 minutes ago, Aura said:

Since when is Consumer Reports an authority in independent Antivirus and Antimalware testing? What's their methodology? Where are the tests results?

Hello Aura,

You are absolutely right.

I respectfully ask you to post a link from " an authority in independent Antivirus and Antimalware testing" where MBAM was tested , so we can see the tests results.:P

SinLows
•Does not have informative help
•Does not have a firewall
•Does not have a spam filter
•Does not have a parental filter
•Does not have a password manager
•Does not have back-up
•Does not have e-mail protection

Malwarebytes does not have all this crap for a reason, most of it is bloat. And since when is Consumer Reports an authority in malware protection , I might trust them if I;m buying a car or stove, report is a joke. If you want credible advice on malware protection there are much better sites.

7 hours ago, Rhp said:

Which is why I belong to consumer Reports. Per the responses, it’s wrong on this one. They’ve been wrong before. I bought my 1972 fiat  on their recommendation:  worst car I ever owned.

You freely admit that they are giving wrong advice, which you yourself have fallen foul of - but you are still a member and are still trusting their judgement?

Personally I don't see the logic there, if someone gives you bad advice you don't listen to them again, or at least listen with scepticism.

I have a subscription to CR.  I just wrote them:

"I've been a member since 2001, and have consulted CR quite a bit before purchases.  However, the sole review on Malwarebytes is complete nonsense by a single complete fool.  It obviously has been published in CR without any due diligence -- not at all what I expect of CR!"

I generally like Consumer Reports, but this was a particularly poorly written article...For example, it made no effort to distinguish between the various programs it tested...example....kaspersky antivirus vs. internet security, etc., made it seem like paying only gave you a few minor perks (never again will I go with a free antivirus...I am willing to pay for things like Kaspersky's System Watcher....)  and it was amusing it rated malwarebytes firewall as "fair"?  If Malwarebytes has a firewall, I must be the last to know:

Scorecard

Threat blocking 
Very Good
Malware scan 
Fair
Firewall 
Fair
USB drive threats 
Fair
Anti-phishing 
Fair
Response to threats 
Poor
Ease of use 
Fair
Use of resources 
Very Good

Highs

•Used with Windows Defender, very good at blocking most Web threats
•Better than Defender at detecting malware execution

Lows

•Not as easy to use as most
•Weak at detecting malware in a scan
•Requires restarting to complete disinfection
•Not good at blocking phishing Websites
•Lacks parental filter and spam filter

CRs Take

Malwarebytes' Premium version isn't meant as a standalone Internet protection product. We tested it with the default Windows Defender enabled, and it did not fare as well as Windows' own protections overall.

About

A fee-based anti-malware suite for Windows. A renewal fee is required each year.

Features

Informative help 
No
Clear warnings 
No

Specs

Manufacturer's website 
www.malwarebytes.com
Startup repair 
No
Spam filter 
No
Parental filter 
No

What is "Startup repair"?  Do they mean the early pre-boot/early phase boot scan that some AV/AM tools use as a means of removing difficult persistent threats like rootkits?  If so, then actually Malwarebytes does have it, but it doesn't need to be initiated manually as a separate function/tool by the user (something that actually might not be possible on a badly infected system).  It has tech built in to launch a rootkit scan on reboot if deemed necessary due to infection blocking the rootkit scanning driver and its built in DOR (Delete on Reboot) technology likewise works early in the boot process to remove threats before they can execute (something they oddly complained about as a disadvantage in remediation, yet eliminates the need for something else they claim Malwarebytes lacks).

I think they need to see real world attack/remediation scenarios and observe how Malwarebytes handles them vs other products against the same threats.  There's a reason you see infected users all over the world being told to run Malwarebytes as one of the first steps to cleaning up their systems.  It does things differently from other vendors for a reason, because it works.

30 minutes ago, exile360 said:

I think they need to see real world attack/remediation scenarios and observe how Malwarebytes handles them vs other products against the same threats

OK, where can we see that????

30 minutes ago, exile360 said:

There's a reason you see infected users all over the world being told to run Malwarebytes

Usually is HitmanPro the first tool used for disinfection...

31 minutes ago, exile360 said:

It does things differently from other vendors for a reason, because it works.

Who certified that "it works"?  Any link /anytime /anywhere?????

20 minutes ago, lock said:

OK, where can we see that????

Usually is HitmanPro the first tool used for disinfection...

Who certified that "it works"?  Any link /anytime /anywhere?????

yup. It worked for me. Any link = this post.. anytime = just now. anywhere - hmm.. I don't travel much.

I've even seen Apple has now started telling users to use MB if they have reason to believe their Mac has malware/pup/pum.

You can see it here on our own forums across the MB3 support area as well as the malware removal area and across all other forums where people are using Malwarebytes to clean systems.

Then I must be wrong and all those posts on MS Technet, Majorgeeks, BleepingComputer, WildersSecurity, Reddit etc. etc. must be in my imagination.  There's nothing wrong with HMP, and yes, I certainly see it recommended often as well, but I see Malwarebytes recommended just as often (more, actually, but trying to quantify personal experience vs legit statistical data is pointless and since I only have the former, I can't back up my claim with facts which is why I posed it as a question in the first place so that the reader may draw from their own experience).

How would anyone "certify" it?  Maybe by showing where it has detected things that got past some of the top tier AV products that always perform excellent on these so-called certification tests.  Something like this page which pulls data from real-world systems in real-time meaning it's not some testbed of dated samples pulled by a single tester trying to standardize some small set of threats and claim that it's a comprehensive view of the efficacy of a group of products.  That map shows real-world systems where those AVs are installed and shows where the user ran a scan with Malwarebytes and where one or more threats (actual malware; PUPs and PUMs are not included in the results/are not counted) was detected, meaning the threat got passed the AV and a Malwarebytes scan caught it (a Malwarebytes scan which only uses a couple of the components that Malwarebytes Premium users get to prevent threats, so it isn't even counting threats that the paid version might have stopped via those additional modules like Exploit Protection, Web Protection and Ransomware Protection).

14 minutes ago, cage22 said:

I've even seen Apple has now started telling users to use MB if they have reason to believe their Mac has malware/pup/pum

Link?

8 minutes ago, exile360 said:

How would anyone "certify" it?

VB100, AV Comparatives, AV Test.

9 minutes ago, exile360 said:

... is generated by MBAM itself. We need a "third party " certification not self proclaiming.

All over the internet there are hundreds of security solutions which will proclaim themselves as being the best thing since sliced bread.