Scanner did not detect Poweriso

Dude905

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the AdwCleaner Help forum.

Someone will reply shortly, but in the meantime here are a few resources which may help resolve your issue:

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

• 3 weeks later...

If you know of a PUP not being detected by Malwarebytes you may submit it for review by the Research team in a new topic here and they will take a look and add detection for it if it meets their criteria for PUP.  Just be sure to read the pinned topics here and here to ensure that you provide adequate info to the Research team to perform the analysis.  Their turnaround time for adding new threats to the database is usually pretty quick so it shouldn't take them long to add detection for an item after it has been submitted and they will respond to your new topic once they have collected the sample to begin their analysis.

OK, so based on 1 item that Sophos detected that Malwarebytes did not you're drawing conclusions about the efficacy of Malwarebytes?  Please refer to the live data shown on this page where the free version of Malwarebytes was able to detect malicious items (PUPs were not included in the data) that were missed by other AVs.  The data is pulled in real-time from the time you access the page so you can see how Malwarebytes detects threats on systems where these AVs are installed right now (it doesn't include data detected by the protection components in Malwarebytes Premium either, only items found by the scanner).  I don't know if Sophos will show up in the list or not as the data is constantly changing since it is pulled in real-time, but if it does show up even once does that mean that Sophos is an ineffective AV?  I don't think so but based on your comment above regarding Malwarebytes vs Sophos it may.

edit: I just checked it myself and after about 10~15 seconds I saw the first item show up that was caught by Malwarebytes and missed by Sophos and it is now up to 3 detections so far.

Edited by exile360

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah... I guess you're right ... Maybe it just best not using any kind of protection software since none of them can be fully trusted. I have been running none for about a week now and my PC runs faster. Also, I find as long as you got a good back image it's all one really needs and maybe use those free online scanners / adblockers   ...

That's certainly an option.  I've known several people who used such a method, and it's definitely workable as long as you don't mind maintaining regular backup images (which isn't a bad idea anyway, since it can also be useful in recovering from a hardware failure like a bad drive etc., not to mention ransomware were you ever hit by it) and as long as you don't mind having to do a full image restore any time something goes wrong.

If you combine that with some basic ad blocking in your browser then it can certainly help.  There's even a Malwarebytes browser extension currently in beta which is available for both Chrome and Firefox that blocks malicious sites, many ads and tracking servers to protect privacy.  It also includes some behavior based blocking tech to block tech support scam sites and other threats.  You can find out more and get downloads for it in the links below:

Chrome
Firefox

There are many free scanners available that you can use to check your system periodically without running anything in real-time, including the free version of Malwarebytes as well as ADWCleaner and most major AVs provide some kind of free scanner as well which can be used to check your system for threats.

You may also find the resources in this post to be of use.  It lists several articles on backing up data/systems as well as several backup software options available, including several which may be used for full image backups, several of which are completely free.  As long as you keep your backup images in a safe place where they cannot be damaged by any infection that might get onto your system by disconnecting your backup device when not being used for creating or restoring a backup image then it should work quite well as an emergency countermeasure against infections and other software related issues.

Modern versions of Windows also have full image backup capabilities built into them.  A good article on that feature and how to use it can be found here and info on restoring an image backup can be found here.