roblinb

Been getting a periodic Real time protection is turned off popup message

Yes, this is a bug.  You are supposed to be able to install Malwarebytes elsewhere, but for whatever reason, when you do, it often results in component updates failing to install properly, and while I don't know the exact reason, I have my suspicions.  I have a theory that because component updates are stored under Malwarebytes ProgramData folder (that same location I mentioned earlier where definitions, logs and settings are stored), whenever a new component update package is downloaded, a script tries to install the new files to their appropriate locations, including under Malwarebytes program folder and either A it is mistakenly hard-coded to place the files under C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes (which is unlikely, though possible), or B it fails because of permissions, as moving files from one drive to another is sometimes not possible for a program to do due to permissions restrictions in Windows.  I've reported the issue to the Product team already, and I will report it once more now that you guys are still seeing it, and hopefully they'll figure out what's causing it so that in the future you may install Malwarebytes wherever you wish without worrying about whether or not it's going to function properly.

Ty for advice, have moved it for now.

I find it worrying they allow you to install it anywhere though, and by doing so the program may not even function. 

Yep, like I said, it should work.  Unfortunately there's a bug here that has yet to be resolved.  Hopefully it will be soon after all these reports.

For anyone having this problem with Malwarebytes installed in a location other than the default C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes where the component update packages fail to install properly, it might help if you tell us exactly where you have it installed (i.e. the exact path, including the drive letter etc.) and provide the following data from our Support Tool as that may speed things up for finding the cause of the issue and hopefully a fix:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced Options on the main page (not Get Started)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply
Edited by exile360

I'm happy to report that installing MB to C:\Program Files seems to have cured the problem.  I haven't had the message box pop up since re-installing earlier this afternoon, so a big thank you to exile360 for having such good recall and sharing it with us!

I see, using the default install drive fixes the bug. I keep all my programs on D:\ drive. I will live with this popup feature until the next fix happens

@saslic and @BadgerBadger

Your install is corrupt if you have component 1.0.0 (a clean reinstall will solve your issue)

Malwarebytes Support Tool (Clean Install)

Lets try this new tool called Malwarebytes Support Tool to get a clean install of Malwarebytes.

1. Please download our new Support Tool from RIGHT HERE
  2. Double click the downloaded file and click Yes if prompted for the UAC warning
  3. Place a check mark to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Click on Advanced Options (below Get Started box)
  5. Click on "Clean" box
  6. Click on "Yes" on the warning about removing Malwarebytes (this will start the cleanup process and there is no need to deactivate)
  7. Once complete click "OK" to reboot the computer
  8. After Reboot click on "Yes" to reinstall the latest version of Malwarebytes
  9. Malwarebytes should now be installed and activated if you use the Premium Version
  10. You can now exit the Malwarebytes Support Tool

If you do not get prompted to reinstall Malwarebytes then download the latest version from the link below.

Download the Latest MB3 v3.5.1.2522 CU 1.0.391 from ->>RIGHT HERE<<-

Malwarebytes is F infuriating lately.

(I get that device security and protection is now harder to achieve than ever before, but there's a point where this software is just a nuisance.)

2018:

• January: Malwarebytes memory leak causes computers to use up all their RAM and run sluggishly or crash.
  • March: Malwarebytes update breaks the disabling of successful, threat free scans (This is yet to be addressed.)
  • July: False positive galore - Anamolous 100% with game exe's (Games purchased via Steam).
  • July: Malwarebytes fails to support the basic Windows 10 file redirection for threat scans. (This is yet to be addressed.)
    • Some would argue that it's not so bad since real time protection will pick this up (When real time protection actually works...), although for people who have the free edition this is a greater problem.
  • July: Real time protections gets turned off and back on multiple times a day triggering a user warning due to its install location. (This is yet to be addressed.)
  • August: Bug expected within the next week or two. Following 2018's record, I don't want a total of 10 issues this year with Malwarebytes.
  • November: Revision of subscription should at least 3 more issues arise or 2 new issues and the inability to address the annoying pop-ups when a scan completes with no threat. (AKA, fix or overhaul notifications.)

2017:

• Malwarebytes deletes itself after update.
  • Malwarebytes steals focus when a notification is displayed.
  • Anti-Exploit module fails to start.

2016:

• Malwarebytes updates and then wants to update again, and again, and again.

2015 - 2010: (or late '09)

• No issues.

I downloaded the latest update from post#31 (not the support tool), installed it, had to reboot, and it's fixed. It is a complicated piece of software so... ***** happens. 

I just started getting a system message that extensions won't load.  Installed the latest version of MWB, 3.4.12 on OS 10.13.6.  Malwarebytes comes up and says to click the "Allow" button in Systems Preferences, but the "Allow" button does nothing (clicks blue and then goes back to white).  Real-time protection still turned off.  Appreciate any help.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, grayfox105 said:

I just started getting a system message that extensions won't load.  Installed the latest version of MWB, 3.4.12 on OS 10.13.6.  Malwarebytes comes up and says to click the "Allow" button in Systems Preferences, but the "Allow" button does nothing (clicks blue and then goes back to white).  Real-time protection still turned off.  Appreciate any help.  Thanks.

Greetings and welcome,

It sounds as though you are referring to an issue with the Malwarebytes for Mac product.  This thread is in the Malwarebytes for Windows support area so the best way to receive accurate assistance with your issue would be to create a thread in the Malwarebytes for Mac support area by clicking here and you can view that area of the forums by clicking here if you'd like to check the FAQs etc. to see if this is a known issue (I'm not too familiar with the current state of the Mac version so I don't know if it is or not so it might be worth a look).