roblinb

Been getting a periodic Real time protection is turned off popup message

Hi,

Over the past few weeks I've noticed that I'm getting a "Real Time protection has been turned off" popup every once in awhile.

I think an update which causes the service to restart is the most likely cause, but I wanted to check with you.

As an IT guy, I don't like unexpected messages from anti-virus or anti-malware programs.

Please advise.

Thanks.

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hello and Welcome @roblinb

More than likely that is the cause, however if you provide the requested logs above the team can review them for any potential issues.

On 7/31/2018 at 7:43 AM, Firefox said:

Hello and Welcome @roblinb

More than likely that is the cause, however if you provide the requested logs above the team can review them for any potential issues.

Yeah it's still happening so I will.

Here you go Firefox:

mbst-grab-results.zip

@roblinb I see your running a slightly older version of Malwarebytes, and its been awhile since your rebooted.  Lets get the latest version of Malwarebytes installed and reboot your computer after the install.

Download the Latest MB3 v3.5.1.2522 CU 1.0.391 from ->>RIGHT HERE<<-

On 7/30/2018 at 7:13 PM, roblinb said:

Hi,

Over the past few weeks I've noticed that I'm getting a "Real Time protection has been turned off" popup every once in awhile.

I think an update which causes the service to restart is the most likely cause, but I wanted to check with you.

As an IT guy, I don't like unexpected messages from anti-virus or anti-malware programs.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Yep, I'm having the same issue. Started a couple of weeks ago. The message comes up saying Realtime Protection has been turned off but after a few seconds, it's back on. I'm on the latest version 3.5.1.

For anyone having this issue, please verify that you have the latest Component package version: installed, version 1.0.391 as indicated in Malwarebytes under Settings>About:

Versions.png.00b04c32391d7a3f654a77901d7e49aa.png

If you do not, then go to Settings>Application and click on the Install Application Updates button.

If you are already up to date, then my best guess is that when a database update occurs, since Malwarebytes has to unload and reload the Web Protection component and its databases to incorporate the updates, that there is a slight delay in the timing of the process on your systems for some reason which is causing Malwarebytes to display this alert while it is waiting for the Web Protection component to reload.  As long as all protection components are active shortly after the message is displayed then you're fine.

Edited by exile360

As the OP, I can say that updating to the latest version has eliminated the real time popup message.  48 hours now and good to go.

14 hours ago, roblinb said:

As the OP, I can say that updating to the latest version has eliminated the real time popup message.  48 hours now and good to go.

Good to hear that fixed your issue as well... keep us posted should you encounter any other issues.

4 different computers, some using free some using paid, none of them will update from 1.03.74 using install updates from within program or the installer linked above

Hey guys, to be clear, in order to install the latest build you need to open Malwarebytes, navigate to Settings>Application and click on the Install Application Updates button.  Updating by any other method will most likely only update the signatures/definitions, not the actual program/software or its components.

Also, if you wish to install the recently released beta to see if that fixes the issues you're having, then prior to clicking on that button, you need to scroll down the Application tab and enable the following option:

BetaUpdates.png.550eca078af01f7bed6bec9631a61c1b.png

Once you've done that and clicked Install Application Updates, you should shortly see the following in Settings>About (once the update has had a chance to download and install after clicking the button):

Beta.png.64728007fb68525b17b4349822cc30ff.png

I do not know if this issue was addressed in the latest beta or not, however I do know for a fact that it does correct several other issues so it's probably still worth installing even if this particular problem is not fixed.

I've been having this problem for about 3 weeks now.  Whether I'm browsing Reddit, YouTube or playing a game, up pops the "Real-Time Protection turned off" message box about every 5 minutes or so.  I downloaded MB installer, uninstalled MB completely, re-booted and re-installed again but I still have the pop-up at the same frequency.  It's incredibly irritating.  BTW?  Before the uninstall/re-install I followed the suggestions at the top of this topic but it changed nothing.  The new installation is showing "Component package version 1.0.0" despite the download file being named "...3.5.1.2522-1.0.391-1.0.6237".  Is there anything else I can do?

P.S. In the time it took to type this post, the pop-up appeared three times.

I have the same problem. I tried to update my component package, that did not work! Then I did a clean uninstall + fresh installation and now im stuck with an even older component package of 1.0.0 and it won't update.

Personally, I always avoid Beta programs. I am not a tester but an end-user. So the advice to install Beta updates goes beyond the pale. If it's a genuine fix, then let's see a genuine program update

i did clean installs and 2 PC's ended up on right version 2 ended up on version 1.0 like saslic... 

what a mess

only thing in common is the two that updated to 1.0.391 installed on the C drive, those not on C drive are stuck on 1.0.0

Every time i click install updates from within program it tells me its doing so, and nothing happens.

As with others im not installing a beta to fix problems, though to be fair a lot of the updates since release of version 3 have felt like a beta anyway

Edited by BadgerBadger
I like Bacon

I would also note if you try install malwarebytes and it tells you it has to reboot to complete the installation, then it ignores the folder you specified and installs to the default of programfiles anyway

Mine is not on C installed. I even tried the beta thingy and tried to update the component package, the result was still 1.0.0 so I unchecked the beta again.

I recall there being a problem with update packages when Malwarebytes is not installed on C:\ or not installed in the default Program Files location so that is likely the cause of the issue with getting the beta and other component updates (the latest non-beta component package version is 1.0.391, so it should not be 1.0.0 if you're fully up to date with the latest non-beta build).  I currently know of no workaround for the issue other than installing Malwarebytes to its default location.  Also bear in mind that even if installed in another location or on a different drive, the data that Malwarebytes stores such as its definitions, configuration files and logs are all stored in C:\ProgramData which is what takes up most of the space that Malwarebytes consumes on a system, so installing its program files to a different directory or drive doesn't really do much to prevent using space on C:\.  For example, here are the numbers for my own installation:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes - 163 MB
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes - 261 MB

As you can see, the space consumed by Malwarebytes' data folder is considerably larger than that consumed by its program files, and it will only increase in size over time as signatures are updated and new logs are created from scans, real-time protection and other program activities.

Also, Malwarebytes drivers will always install to C:\Windows\System32\drivers, so that's more data that cannot be relocated to a different drive.  Those files aren't very large, but when added to the space occupied by its ProgramData folder, it just tips the scales that much further, rendering the size of its program files folder that much less significant in comparison.

exile360

That's interesting, and I haven't heard about it before.  I install all my "utility" programs (such as 7-Zip, MB, Speccy, Winmerge etc) to E:\Utilities - which MB allows you to do, it prompts for a program installation location of your choice.  So I'll uninstall MB again and try a re-install to the default location at C:\Program Files and see what happens.  Wish me luck, lol.

Ok then.  The re-installation is complete and "About" now shows "Component package version 1.0.391" as it should.  It remains to be seen if it has also cleared the Real-Time Protection pop-up message box error, but I certainly hope so!  Thanks exile360!