Doctor9fan

Still a problem with ransomware protection

I'm still having a problem with the ransomware protection preventing my Big Fish games from playing, after a certain time this error will pop up & close the game, I also see the error upon installing a Big Fish game.
If I turn off ransomware protection the error message doesn't pop up & therefore I have no problem.
I've clean installed MB premium (uninstalled via the removal tool).

I've attached the error message as well as the support tool results.

Tia,

BF.JPG

mbst-grab-results.zip

Edited by Doctor9fan
Additional information & correction.

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Virginia, Thank you so much for your patience, and apologies for not getting back to you sooner. We have been trying to reproduce this problem on our side unsuccessfully so far. Let me ask you a few questions while we keep working on it:

You indicate the error message does not happen when ARW is set to "Off". Are you able to add an ARW exclusion for it?

Is there another Anti-Malware product (other than defender which we see in the logs) running when the issue occurs?

Is there any pattern or part of the game (or certain games) where it crashes you could identify? Anything that looks like steps to reproduce will help us.

Please let us know, we believe it will help. Again, we apologize for the time this has taken, I see you reported the issue since a version back, and 391 has improved compatibility with applications accessing their online resources, but even though it is still giving you problems, the upcoming version will include additional improvements along those lines.

-Erix

18 hours ago, Erix said:

Virginia, Thank you so much for your patience, and apologies for not getting back to you sooner. We have been trying to reproduce this problem on our side unsuccessfully so far. Let me ask you a few questions while we keep working on it:

You indicate the error message does not happen when ARW is set to "Off". Are you able to add an ARW exclusion for it?

Is there another Anti-Malware product (other than defender which we see in the logs) running when the issue occurs?

Is there any pattern or part of the game (or certain games) where it crashes you could identify? Anything that looks like steps to reproduce will help us.

Please let us know, we believe it will help. Again, we apologize for the time this has taken, I see you reported the issue since a version back, and 391 has improved compatibility with applications accessing their online resources, but even though it is still giving you problems, the upcoming version will include additional improvements along those lines.

-Erix

It usually happens after playing for an hour or so but this also happens while installing the game & that seems to happen 9 times out of ten for me. 
There’s no pattern to the game in that it’s at a certain point. I’d have to add an exclusion for each game & I have quite a few, in any case I open the game via the Big Fish game app & I can’t tell if it is the game or the app which is crashing/causing the error message; I will try adding the app to the exclusion list & let you know. It is all the newer games which are affected, I haven’t yet tried an older game.
The strange thing is sometimes all is ok so I don’t know whether time is the factor or the age of the game.
No other anti malware software running other than defender. As stated if I turn off malware protection all is good.

I’d like to add that today I downloaded three games, the first two installed & activated fine but the third installed but didn’t activate due to the same pop up. I had to delete the game (as it refused to install), turn off ransomeware protection & download & install again where it activated with no problem.

I had the exact same problem with the same games software.  CFA is never enabled but I tried to enable it and add all the BF .exe to exclusions and it never worked.   CFA isn't worth the aggravation for me since my files live offline anyway.

The access violations expanded to when the games manager even opened. so I experimented w/ shutting off various exploit guards like DEP and the two ASLRs that come enabled together but what cured the problem was my having to clean-install Windows v. 1803 for something else, and the one exploit guard :  force randomization for images  appeared to be the culprit.  I'd enabled it previously and it comes disabled by default, correct?   So far, the problem hasn't returned.  

Can running Malwarebytes' anti-exploit protections and Windows Defender exploit guards concurrently give rise to issues like this?  BF hasn't updated its games manager in a long time either.  Edit:  I did not have Malwarebytes installed at the time of the issue.

Edited by DowntownBrooklyn
Added something

Tbh I only saw the error after a MB update which caused this same/similar error with all downloaded files.

Where under WD would I find force randomisation for images?

Edited by Doctor9fan
Clarification.

1 hour ago, Doctor9fan said:

Tbh I only saw the error after a MB update which caused this same/similar error with all downloaded files.

Where under WD would I find force randomisation for images?

You can find an extensive breakdown of Windows Defender's Exploit Protection settings here.  It appears that image randomization is located under Windows Defender Security Center>Exploit Protection>System Settings>Force randomization for images (Mandatory ASLR) and it's apparently configured to Off by default, however there appears to also be the same setting for Programs if I'm reading it correctly, and that one may be On by default and thus could be the cause of the issue (though I doubt it as I believe Malwarebytes deliberately corrected any incompatibilities with Windows Defender's new Exploit Protection function's defaults in the most recent major release).

I’m pretty sure these settings are all off but I will double check.
I would’ve thought this setting would be off due to having Malwarebytes.
I too doubt that it is the cause.

force randomization for images was off already so that can't be the cause in my cae.

Hi Virginia. Can you tell us exactly which games you're seeing the issue with please?

Is it always the same game, or is it random?

It looks like you say it can happen during an attempt to launch a game, install a game, or upgrade a game, is that correct?

I've been trying to reproduce this with several of the free games on the Big Fish platform, but I've not seen any issue.

If this is something you can reproduce even somewhat reliably, I'd like to request some additional diagnostic info. Please let me know.

10 hours ago, tetonbob said:

Hi Virginia. Can you tell us exactly which games you're seeing the issue with please?

Is it always the same game, or is it random?

It looks like you say it can happen during an attempt to launch a game, install a game, or upgrade a game, is that correct?

I've been trying to reproduce this with several of the free games on the Big Fish platform, but I've not seen any issue.

If this is something you can reproduce even somewhat reliably, I'd like to request some additional diagnostic info. Please let me know.

It’s random, all my games are paid/premium & the problem happens after playing for over an hour, I can download three games, two will install while the third gives the error, the next time the games install fine.
I recently had to restore from a system image so had the opportunity to download & install the same three games which went fine.
It can happen upon installing a game - it reaches 99% then the error appears or after over an hour of gameplay.
It is so random that I cannot reproduce it. It doesn’t happen when I launch any game & the same game can be fine when playing again.

It appears to be happening with the the newer games, although the one which failed to install was Dreamscapes: Nightmare’s heir which I don’t think is one of the new ones. When/if it happens again I’ll note the game title.

Thanks for the feedback. The inconsistent nature makes it a bit more challenging to identify the problem and to begin to formulate a possible solution.

I've sent you a Private Message.

I can confirm it isn’t MB.

This morning I disabled RP & I still received the error message.
I then disabled WD ransomeware protection & still had this message.
Tonight I’ll run sfc & dism.

I did a repair install of Windows but it didn’t change anything.
If I exit Malwarebytes all is fine with the Any wish hotel game. I’m wondering if there’s some conflict with MB & Windows Defender.
My next ‘trial’ will be to reinstall Norton, if that doesn’t give the same error then the problem is with Defender imo.

Games are downloaded from the official Big Fish game website, Norton & Defender have scanned (not at the same time) say PC is clean.

I’ve been reading on that website & it seems the game itself is causing the error.