dominik_1kyu

MalwareBytes Extension random opened 20+ tab

Hey! I was playing overwatch, and when i stopped playing it i desided to go browse the internet. I use the latest version of Chrome, with Adblock Plus, Avira Browser Safety, Poper Blocker and with MalwerBytes Extensio BETA. And i saw that chrome was open (i closed it before playint OW) and i saw 25+ tabs open that was from my browser history (the links was drive-by-download links) and all of it was blocked by MalwareBytes. I did NOT open them, and the links was not suspicious. One of them was Skype download file... here are some photoes

I think it was done by MalwareBytes extension.
(the blocked links started to dissapeare from my history, strange huh?)

Any help why did this happened?

wtf.JPG

wtf2.JPG

The image shows it blocking the download page for iTunes, however I just checked and it isn't being blocked on my system (including when specifying the Hungarian language version of the page as shown in the image in your post).

That said, since Malwarebytes for Chrome is a browser extension, it cannot possibly open your web browser or launch any other processes on its own (Chrome must already be running for the extension to be active; it is not a separate application with its own executables/binaries so it cannot be launched on its own outside of Chrome), so I would speculate that some other program was attempting to launch these pages in the background either while you were gaming or that these were all blocked during a previous browsing session.  With regards to your history, likewise, the Malwarebytes extension should not be capable of removing anything from your browser's history, however it is possible that Chrome is configured to automatically clear history after a set amount of time and/or number of visited websites.  With that many blocks, I'm guessing either something is wrong with the extension's database or there is something else on the system trying to connect to these sites.

I would recommend trying to uninstall and reinstall the Malwarebytes extension first, making sure that you download the latest version from here and if that does not resolve the issue, then I would suggest having your system checked for malware as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) or malware infection could be causing it.  If you wish to do so, then please read and follow the instructions in this topic and then create a new thread in the malware removal area with the requested logs and information by clicking here and one of our malware removal experts will help you check and clean the system of any threats and/or PUPs.

Hey! Thanks for the info! It happened again, while i was in my bathroom. It seems it opens just websites that are downloading stuffs. I runed HitmanPRO, i runned a full scan with EmsiSoft (that is my main AV) but nothing.. neither find anything. I will run MalwareBytes and Kaspersky just to be sure... but i noticed that as soon as i turned off the extension, it closed all of the websites. and at manage extension in Chrome, after i clicked to Malwarebytes, under Inspect views there were the sites listed.. i still think that somehow the extension open the websites... ?

wtf3.JPG

i think it was closed, but i am not sure. I will sit in front of the computer now, just to test will it happen again. Maybe i will write again after a sleep (it is 1:53 am right now), so hope you will reply later, too :D

I reinstalled the extension, and watched the computer for 5+ hr and nothing happend.. i guess it was some kind of weird bug :P

Yeah, it must have been.  Keep an eye on it please and let us know if it happens again.

Thanks

I had one more user that reported the same issue, problem was non reproducible after a while and since then we have been looking for someone to repro this. 

can you please capture Chrome console logs for me when this happens again?

Please follow below steps:
1.    Open a Chrome browser
2.    Click on the hamburger menu icon (3 dots)
3.    Click on More Tools
4.    Click on Developer Tools
5.    Click on the Settings icon to open and close the settings options 
6.    Select Preserve log
7.    Select Show timestamps
8.    Click on the circle icon on the left side of the console panel
9.    The log will be cleared
10.     Revisit the site in question or try to reproduce the issue
11.     Copy the log from console and save it to a text file 
12.     Zip it and send it to me or upload it to a box folder

Hey! I tried to follow the steps, and i get to the 9. step, but i dont know what do you mean by " Revisit the site in question or try to reproduce the issue". Can you please explain it to me? i am kinda noob at this...
mberror.thumb.JPG.35b0fce4c6695313ae65ab3a79ffa632.JPG
btw the issue happened again. I opened Chrome, and lots of blocked sites appeared next to my home page. 

can you please uninstall and reinstall the extension? let's see if the issue still exist 

there seems to be some sort of corruption and looks like collecting console logs for this issue will be tough. 

Sure thing! I will write if it happens again.
(btw usually the issue happened if the computer was turned off, or if Chrome wasnt open for a long time)

Thanks for the video, sending this to our dev to check if we can do something about it. 

I'm a bit mystified to be honest.  @dominik_1kyu, does the issue still happen if you disable all your other Chrome plugins and extensions?  Thanks for helping us try to figure this out!