Hello.

After reading those scary things about adf.ly and even reading this post: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/140423-adfly-redirecting-my-chrome-browser/ , I decided to search for protection from adfly, because i can in the future meet with this website when downloading something. So my question is: Is AdSkipper ( a program that bypasses the 5 second wait) safe? Disclaimer: I don't have any type of adware i think, i have a MWB Premium trial for 6 days left, i have Adwcleaner and Roguekiller installed, I have  been on adf.ly during the trial of MWB and it protected me from hijack.

Link to Chrome Web Store AdSkipper application: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/adskipper?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

Link to AdSkipper's site: http://adfly-skipper.blogspot.com/

Thanks.

Greetings,

I'm not familiar with that extension, however Malwarebytes has their own extension which is currently in beta which does block some ads and trackers along with malicious content.  It is available for both Chrome and Firefox and is currently free, at least while it is in beta (I do not know if it will remain free after release or not):

Chrome
Firefox

As far as actual specialized ad blockers go, the only ones I'm particularly familiar with are Adblock Plus and while I have not used it personally, I've also heard positive things about uBlock Origin.  Each is available on the Chrome web store at the following links:

Adblock Plus
uBlock Origin

Edited by exile360

uBlock Origin and the Malwarebytes extension provide a strong combination, however, you should turn off adblocking in the Malwarebytes extension and just let it block bad sites. Using 2 extensions to block ads sometimes causes issues and uBlock provides superior adblocking capabilities.

Really?  I haven't had any issues with them so far, at least with Adblock Plus and Malwarebytes.  The only thing I've noticed is the occasional error message from Disconnect (a privacy plugin/extension) when Malwarebytes blocks something it tried to, but it doesn't actually cause any problems and browsing is still fine.

I briefly ran both, MBAM extension and uBlock, there was an issue with Chrome loading however I can't say if it was because of a conflict between the two. All I know is that I didn't have the issue before trying both at the same time. I read on another forum that some users had an issue running both. It just seems logical, to me however, not to run 2 extensions ( programs) that do the same thing, the reason why we dont run 2 AV'S right??

Ok. I have installed UBlock origin, and im using classic AdBlock and this AdSkipper. The sccan of MWB shown that everything is good. I gotta try scanning the chrome and other browsers, and then make a full scan.