Realtime protection

My MB recently(it just started doing this last Friday) keeps giving me pop ups of real time protection being shut off but when I open MB its back on again,I've fresh installed MB and have followed steps in other posts such as setting exceptions in my anti virus and clicking on "Install Application Updates" but it keeps happening,I've attached pictures of the error,of my settings and the log MB support tool gathered.

MB8.png

mb1.png

MB2.png

MB3.png

MB4.png

mb5.png

mb6.png

MB7.png

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

I'm sorry you're having issues.  Could you please check and verify that you have version 3.5.1.2522, component package version 1.0.391?:

Versions.png.96d503eb51b89b6b8da9482d42bf7840.png

I just want to make certain that you do have the latest build and components installed.

Also, it is possible for this to occur if for some reason there is a problem during updates when Malwarebytes refreshes the Web Protection component's databases after downloading them, so if there is any problem with the internet connection (i.e. corrupt downloads, dropped packets etc.) that could also be the cause.

If you've confirmed that you do have the latest build and component update package, then please do the following so that we can take a look at what's going on with your installation:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced Options on the main page (not Get Started)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Thanks

6 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

I'm sorry you're having issues.  Could you please check and verify that you have version 3.5.1.2522, component package version 1.0.391?:

Versions.png.96d503eb51b89b6b8da9482d42bf7840.png

I just want to make certain that you do have the latest build and components installed.

Also, it is possible for this to occur if for some reason there is a problem during updates when Malwarebytes refreshes the Web Protection component's databases after downloading them, so if there is any problem with the internet connection (i.e. corrupt downloads, dropped packets etc.) that could also be the cause.

If you've confirmed that you do have the latest build and component update package, then please do the following so that we can take a look at what's going on with your installation:

2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced Options on the main page (not Get Started)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Thanks

I do have version 3.5.1.2522  however my component package version is 1.0.0 and here is the logs.

MB1.png

mbst-grab-results.zip

OK, please open Malwarebytes and navigate to Settings>Application and click on the Install Application Updates button and hopefully it will download/install the latest patch.  Once it does, assuming it works, go ahead and restart the system to make sure the new components are loaded into memory.

Once that's done, assuming it all went well, go ahead and test for a while to see if the issue is resolved and let us know how it goes.

If it doesn't update, it could be due to the alternate directory you chose for installation, which shouldn't be a problem, but if there's a bug in the patch installation script, it is a possibility so you can try removing your existing version and reinstalling in the default location:

3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

If you do end up trying that, then go ahead and check the About tab to verify that you have the latest component package version, and if not, go ahead and try updating again via the Install Application Updates button.

Please let us know how it goes and what you ended up having to do.

Thanks

48 minutes ago, exile360 said:

OK, please open Malwarebytes and navigate to Settings>Application and click on the Install Application Updates button and hopefully it will download/install the latest patch.  Once it does, assuming it works, go ahead and restart the system to make sure the new components are loaded into memory.

Once that's done, assuming it all went well, go ahead and test for a while to see if the issue is resolved and let us know how it goes.

If it doesn't update, it could be due to the alternate directory you chose for installation, which shouldn't be a problem, but if there's a bug in the patch installation script, it is a possibility so you can try removing your existing version and reinstalling in the default location:

3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

If you do end up trying that, then go ahead and check the About tab to verify that you have the latest component package version, and if not, go ahead and try updating again via the Install Application Updates button.

Please let us know how it goes and what you ended up having to do.

Thanks

I've done all these steps and fresh installed MB twice just to make sure nothing was messed up,I do have it installed on drive D because that is my solid state drive and C is just for the OS and is not very big,I haven't had any issues with it being installed there in the past,I can not get it to update the component package version  to 1.0.391 even though it tells me its updating but after finishing the update and me restarting as well as me disabling my anti virus just to make sure it wasn't getting in the way its not updating anything.

mbst-grab-results.zip

Is C an SSD also?  I ask because if it is a traditional HDD, you would get a massive boost in overall system performance, especially boot/startup and shutdown times if you installed your OS onto an SSD (one of the primary advantages of using an SSD in a PC instead of an HDD).

My guess is that this is an issue with the updater script not correctly installing the new files/components because of the program's main directory being on an alternate drive.  You'll notice from the logs that Malwarebytes still stores its data files under C:\ProgramData, even though you have Malwarebytes installed on D:.  That folder in ProgramData is where the update files are located and would be where the update script attempts to run from, so if it fails to copy/move the new files into place to the folder in D: where Malwarebytes is installed, that would explain why it isn't updating the component package version.

This is just my hypothesis though, and we'll need the QA team to test this to verify.  I'll report your case to them in my report this week so that they can investigate and determine if this is a bug that the Developers need to address.

In the meantime, if you wouldn't mind please try installing Malwarebytes on C:, it's default location to see if that allows it to update properly.  I'm guessing that it will.  You don't have to leave it this way, but it might not actually be functioning properly unless you do, and definitely won't be able to install the patches, at least based on what you've reported so far.

30 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Is C an SSD also?  I ask because if it is a traditional HDD, you would get a massive boost in overall system performance, especially boot/startup and shutdown times if you installed your OS onto an SSD (one of the primary advantages of using an SSD in a PC instead of an HDD).

My guess is that this is an issue with the updater script not correctly installing the new files/components because of the program's main directory being on an alternate drive.  You'll notice from the logs that Malwarebytes still stores its data files under C:\ProgramData, even though you have Malwarebytes installed on D:.  That folder in ProgramData is where the update files are located and would be where the update script attempts to run from, so if it fails to copy/move the new files into place to the folder in ? where Malwarebytes is installed, that would explain why it isn't updating the component package version.

This is just my hypothesis though, and we'll need the QA team to test this to verify.  I'll report your case to them in my report this week so that they can investigate and determine if this is a bug that the Developers need to address.

In the meantime, if you wouldn't mind please try installing Malwarebytes on C:, it's default location to see if that allows it to update properly.  I'm guessing that it will.  You don't have to leave it this way, but it might not actually be functioning properly unless you do, and definitely won't be able to install the patches, at least based on what you've reported so far.

I was mistaken my C drive is an SSD and my D drive is an HDD,I have uninstalled MB on drive D and have reinstalled it onto C,it has now updated to component package version  to 1.0.391,it has not given me a pop up of my real time protection not being on when by now it would have,I'll leave it on my C drive if that is whats going to allow it to function properly,if it starts doing it again I'll come make another post,thank you for taking the time to help me get this sorted.

Edited by HalcyoneMoon

Ah, I see, that makes more sense.  Yes, I think you'll be better off with it this way, especially since the largest parts of a Malwarebytes installation are its data files/folders anyway (the stuff stored under C:\ProgramData) so you wouldn't be saving much space in keeping Malwarebytes installed on D: anyway (only about 150~160MB according to my installation on Windows 7 vs 225~240MB for the folder under C:\ProgramData).

I'm still going to report this incident to the team for testing and verification though, because technically it should work without errors so there does appear to be a bug here which they should fix if they can.

Anyway, thanks for your help in reporting and documenting this issue and if there is anything else we might assist you with please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks