Post Update Pain

spnkzss

This morning I came in to 2 computers (so far) that where came to complete grind.  Very slow and unresponsive at times.  I was able to get task manager up and running after a few minutes and saw 35% CPU usage taken up steadily by the Malwarebytes service.  Killed the process and the computer was good.  No more issues.  Restarted teh service and it still seems to be working.

Just wanted to let people know that you may want to have people reboot.

Rob

I did not get any logs at time, I was just trying to get it up and running.  I did have it happen on my computer this morning too at time of scheduled scan. 

I agree 35% is not wild by any means, and I have yet to be able to explain it, but I've had Malwarebytes do that to me multiple times under various conditions. on multiple PCs.  It can range from 12%-40% and the PC acts like it's at 99%.  As soon as I kill the process, everything is hunky dory.   This is the ONLY program in 25 years of IT work that I have ever seen that happen with.

Rob

I'm having the same issue, and I have a ticket open on it. Post update we're only seeing 35-40% resource consumption but it's acting like full resource use. Prior to the update we were having obvious 100% consumption issues. All the normal stuff like rootkit scanning and self protect are disabled in these groups.

Oddly it only seems to be occurring with the group of machines I have setup to scan with greater frequency. The machines scheduled for a full scan once a week don't seem to be experiencing that issue.

Edit: Never mind someone closed the ticket. I guess I need to reopen it for a 3rd time. I really like the idea of this product but implementation wise I'm spending a lot more time on it than we did with the stand alone products. It's becoming a pretty serious issue.

Edited by The0retical

getting the same on our cloud clients.  We are testing it, and the folks that are using cloud (over regular installed enpoint) get sloooooow computers if they don't restart daily.

including taking forever to reboot.

I just updated mine to latest cloud version, and so far so good.

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you having random usage (while no scan is running) and seeing 15%+ CPU usage from "Malwarebytes Service", I would like to apologize about the issues you are seeing. I am actively working to get to the bottom of these issues. 

We'll need to get a dump of the "Malwarebytes Service" while its in high usage state and no scan is running (since running scan will cause expected CPU usage):

1. When you notice that "Malwarebytes Service" is in high usage state (30-40% CPU), open Task Manager (as admin, if on domain user)
  2. Find "Malwarebytes Service" in the list and confirm high usage is happening (if used another tool to notice initial usage)
  3. Right-click on "Malwarebytes Service" and select "Create dump file"
    1. Wait a few minutes, it can take up to 10min to create the dump
  4. When dump is done creating, it'll give the location it was stored, please notate this location (will be %temp% most of the time)
  5. Go to the location given, copy the dump file to an easy to find location

In addition, gather the following: 

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link
    5ae220dc8c030_welcomembst.png.fd2156a783
  • Click the Gather Logs button
    gatherlogs.png.6fb7abe3251f4a4f5fba47602
  • A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
    • In a domain environment, the zip file may get moved to the admin's Desktop. If the zip file is not seen on the Desktop of the logged in user, check user profile of the admin

Grab the dump from initial set of instructions + "mbst-grab-results.zip" and place them in one single zip, then send to us. 

Feel free to use your own cloud storage solution to share the dump+diag zip or upload it to wetransfer.com and provide me with the link.