Files get deleted from computer when selected

Hi,

I am experiencing this issue since last week now. When selecting a file anywhere on the computer, it gets deleted to recycle bin and a message shows "transfer could not be completed". I have scanned for viruses but nothing is detected. The issue stops when I press any key on the keyboard and again comes some time later. This happens even when we type an email content. If the cursor is on the 1st letter it will forward delete the rest of the letters. Also it keeps typing "dot" if the num lock key is on. If it is off, then no issues.

Is this a keypad issue or is this some kind of a virus. Please help me.

Thanks

Vishnu

Hello and Welcome!

Lets try this new tool called Malwarebytes Support Tool to gather some logs.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  6. Click the Advanced Options link
  7. The Advanced Options page has two options, please choose one:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer using Check and Grab functionality. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is also run to perform a complete diagnosis of the computer. The troubleshooting information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip. This file can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post and will assist your Malwarebytes Support agent with troubleshooting the issue currently being experienced.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products currently installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. This process may require a reboot of the computer, which must be manually consented to.
  8. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  9. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  10. Upon completion, click OK
  11. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  12. Please attach the file in your next reply.

3 minutes ago, lslizzysmith said:

Hi, it's a clear indication of keyboard failure. I suggest you to replace the keyboard and check if still, problem resists. 

That's definitely a possibility.  You can test by unplugging your keyboard (assuming it isn't a laptop, in which case it will be a bit more difficult, though still feasible if you know what you're doing) and then testing to see if it still occurs when you click on things.  Otherwise, you can open a text editing program such as MS Wordpad or Notepad and typing something then selecting a part of the text to see if it gets deleted or modified in any way as that would definitely identify the keyboard as the most likely culprit.

10 hours ago, exile360 said:

That's definitely a possibility.  You can test by unplugging your keyboard (assuming it isn't a laptop, in which case it will be a bit more difficult, though still feasible if you know what you're doing) and then testing to see if it still occurs when you click on things.  Otherwise, you can open a text editing program such as MS Wordpad or Notepad and typing something then selecting a part of the text to see if it gets deleted or modified in any way as that would definitely identify the keyboard as the most likely culprit.

I am using a laptop. The issue happens when i type also. Sometimes, if the num lock key is on, dots are typed automatically and sometimes when the cursor is in the middle of the sentence, it deletes the forward part. So, how can we make sure if its a keyboard issue or not..?

It definitely sounds like a keyboard issue.  If you've messed with laptops at all as far as taking them apart/putting them back together then you can remove the keyboard (it plugs into the internal motherboard via a small ribbon cable) and then plug in a USB keyboard to test, but I think at this point it is confirmed enough that it must be the keyboard that is the problem.  If you don't know how and aren't too technically inclined as far as dealing with hardware goes, then I'd suggest taking it to your nearest tech shop to have the keyboard checked and replaced if necessary (it could also just be an issue that the keyboard's connection to the motherboard isn't solid and needs to be redone, though less likely or that the keys are maybe dirty or something causing them to be stuck) but a tech who knows laptops should be able to fully diagnose the issue and replace or repair the keyboard if necessary.