Realtime protection

Greetings,

Please open Malwarebytes and go to Settings>Application and click on the Install Application Updates button and allow it to install any available program updates.  Once that is complete, restart your system and see if it now works correctly or not.

Please let us know if it works properly now or not.

Thanks

Yes, it is updating the detection signatures/definitions, however it is not necessarily installing the latest program updates as they are not always provided when the software checks for updates on its own due to the gradual release of such updates to users.

Please make sure that you have the same versions as I do:

Versions.png.effc8e0dd030bf321317d00a235c60f7.png

If you are already fully updated, then please try restarting your computer to see if that fixes the problem with protection.

If it does not fix the problem, then please do the following so that we may take a look at your installation and settings to try to determine what might be causing it:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced Options on the main page (not Get Started)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen this behaviour too. I think it occurs when the program is downloading a data update. One or more types of realtime protection get temporarily turned off, and cannot be turned on again manually by the user while the update is in progress. However the program turns them back on once the update has been completed. That's understandable behaviour, but that it flags up a warning message in those circumstances isn't ideal.

4 hours ago, JHall said:

I have seen this behaviour too. I think it occurs when the program is downloading a data update. One or more types of realtime protection get temporarily turned off, and cannot be turned on again manually by the user while the update is in progress. However the program turns them back on once the update has been completed. That's understandable behaviour, but that it flags up a warning message in those circumstances isn't ideal.

They did fix an issue similar to this in the past where the Web Protection component would display a notification that it was off because it has to unload/reload to refresh its block lists following an update, however that was fixed a long time ago and shouldn't be causing any issues now.  The problem being reported in this thread is that the Web Protection component stays off following an update meaning it fails to load again afterwards which could be due to a problem with the Web Protection driver failing to start for some reason, or a problem with the database updates themselves being corrupted somehow during download causing it to fail to read/load them.

If anyone has this issue still, even with the latest program version highlighted in my post above (3.5.1.2522, component package 1.0.391) then please provide the following logs so that we may investigate further:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced Options on the main page (not Get Started)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Happens to various computers/clients on a regular basis with ALL versions of Malwarebytes since V3 came out. Just got a call today after someone got scared from a scareware Your computer is infected/locked, call Microsoft support that MWB did not detect or stop, and (after this happened) MWB real time protection in 2 categories OFF and cannot be turned on.

Any chance we can get logs from the affected system as requested above?  That might help the Developers to troubleshoot the issue.

Also, specifically with regards to tech support scam sites such as the one you describe, Malwarebytes has developed a browser plugin which is currently in beta which not only applies the same block database as the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes 3, but also includes additional behavioral blocking capabilities to detect and block new/unknown tech support scam sites and several other types of malicious/scammy sites (phishing, clickbait etc.) and even blocks many ads as well as tracking servers to guard privacy.  It's available for both Chrome and other Chromium based browsers (like SRWare Iron) and Mozilla Firefox.  Links to more info and downloads for the plugin are in my signature below as well as here:

Chrome
Firefox

I highly recommend the plugin and have been using it myself for months and have found it to be most effective.