Chrome Crash / Freezes when MBAM is Activated

Hello!

I have the following problem:

I am using MBAM Premium 3.5.1, and when i open a Website in Google Chrome it freezes and Crashes within Minutes!

If i disable MBAM, everything works fine, without troubles!!

Sorry for my Bad English, but I hope everyone knows what I mean ;)

I already have Downloaded the MBAM Clean 3 Tool, and reinstalled MBAM 3.5.1

After re install the Problem is back again :(

Best Regards

Xenon

Edited by xenon2008
Add text

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

I have had the exact same problem since last week, specifically Thursday evening UK time. Chrome, Firefox and Edge crash and don't function properly with real time protection turned on. They are slow, unresponsive and eventually freeze. Sometimes they start OK and run for a few minutes but then they stop responding. System resources are at a very low level during this time cpu 1%, low memory, GPU and disk access so its not overloading anything.  You cannot kill the last chrome process from within task manager so the only solution is to reboot. This has almost driven me crazy to the point I spent 5 hours yesterday reinstalling windows and a ton of programs only for it to happen again immediately. I am running premium Malwarebytes latest version on Windows 10 home latest version. I also tried creating a new user in Windows, creating a new user in Chrome, memory test, disk test, reinstalling chrome several times, disabling all chrome extensions, reinstalling all the drivers I could and as I said above eventually reinstalling Windows when I felt there was no other option left. This has caused me 4 days of hassle and I spent Thursday night, Friday night, most of Saturday and Sunday morning trying to diagnose this. MBAM does not report anything and looks like it is running normally, the windows error log just says "Chrome stopped interacting with Windows and was closed". I am also running Sophos anti virus if this helps. This whole experience has been extremely frustrating and wasted a lot of time. I won't be renewing when my subscription expires.

29 minutes ago, Jonnywithanh said:

I have had the exact same problem since last week, specifically Thursday evening UK time. Chrome, Firefox and Edge crash and don't function properly with real time protection turned on. They are slow, unresponsive and eventually freeze. Sometimes they start OK and run for a few minutes but then they stop responding. System resources are at a very low level during this time cpu 1%, low memory, GPU and disk access so its not overloading anything.  You cannot kill the last chrome process from within task manager so the only solution is to reboot. This has almost driven me crazy to the point I spent 5 hours yesterday reinstalling windows and a ton of programs only for it to happen again immediately. I am running premium Malwarebytes latest version on Windows 10 home latest version. I also tried creating a new user in Windows, creating a new user in Chrome, memory test, disk test, reinstalling chrome several times, disabling all chrome extensions, reinstalling all the drivers I could and as I said above eventually reinstalling Windows when I felt there was no other option left. This has caused me 4 days of hassle and I spent Thursday night, Friday night, most of Saturday and Sunday morning trying to diagnose this. MBAM does not report anything and looks like it is running normally, the windows error log just says "Chrome stopped interacting with Windows and was closed". I am also running Sophos anti virus if this helps. This whole experience has been extremely frustrating and wasted a lot of time. I won't be renewing when my subscription expires.

Better i couldnt discribe. 100% same behaviour!

On 7/14/2018 at 11:34 AM, xenon2008 said:

All Websites in Firefox!
And Chrome Complety hangs up when i would try to Open any Website after 2-5 min.

Now i have disabled MBAM completly and my System  Browser works fine!

Are you using Sophos Home Antivirus as well?

Hi I won't be back at that PC for a few days now, All I can say is I have Sophos endpoint security and control 10.7, Windows 10 home, Malwarebytes premium, all software is up to date.

My system specs are 

Asus X-99-S Motherboard
i7 5820k @ 4.5 GHz
32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
2x Nvidia Titan X (Pascal) in SLI

It happened before on a clean install and up to that point I had only let windows install the default drivers, installed Sophos and Malwarebytes and Chrome. Everything else on the PC functions fine except the browsers when the problem occurs.

2 hours ago, xenon2008 said:

Did you think it is in connection with Sophos Endpoint?

From what I've read, and perhaps this has been addressed already with MBAM, but it seems like there's issues when there's 2 different exploit blockers at same time. Seems to be related to that feature. There's been a work-around before on this forum previously that mentioned how to resolve, if this is it. I don't recall exactly, as its been a while, but seems like disabling exploit prevention in Sophos took care of the browser crashes.

I consider this a very poor response, still no fix or even an apology for all the trouble caused. We have just been asked if we want to renew our Malwarebytes endpoint protection at work which is a fairly large site. I am one of the decision makers on this and will also be against renewing. I understand there can be bugs, but no apology at all and no fix or even update on what is happening. You lost a lot more than one customer due to the poor handling of this.

It is common courtesy to apologise if a product you have supplied has caused a problem. Your assumption I am from America is wrong. I am pretty sure the fact that when I turn on Malwarebytes real time protection the problem occurs 100% of the time and when it is off it doesn't points to it at the very least being a component in the problem. If that is due to interaction with another program then clearly not enough testing is being done as it happened on an almost bare bones build as I said above. I had explained it had taken a long time to diagnose this and caused a lot of hassle, I just wanted to be treated as a valued customer rather than a diagnostic tool. A "sorry for the inconvenience" would have gone a long way. Also it has been days now and no update or fix or any further communication from Malwarebytes. I consider this poor customer relations and it has soured my opinion of the product. I keep my customers updated daily on the progress of any problem I may be working on as I understand it is important to them and again I consider it just polite to keep people updated as they can then plan accordingly. I don't consider this arrogance to have paid for a product and expect to be treated with courtesy when said product has caused problems. I won't assume where you are from but that is how things work here. Good customer relations keep people happy and loyal, its that simple.

• Root Admin

Thank you everyone for your help in working with us to help you. Let's all please try to keep civil and not make things personal.

@xenon2008

Since you say that Firefox is okay and that you have reinstalled Chrome and it continues to have an issue. I'd like to work with you on doing a clean removal of Chrome (uninstalling or reinstalling Chrome does not clear up the browser)

If you can please follow the directions from this topic to start out, and then let me know when ready and we'll look at some new logs.

@Jonnywithanh

Is Chrome the only browser with the issue for you too or does it happen with any other browser? How many computers are affected with the issue?

Thanks

Ron

Hi Ron, I did state in my original post that it happens to Chrome, Firefox and Edge. Chrome and Firefox are unusable and Edge is slightly more stable but responds very slowly and does also eventually stop responding completely. None of the other programs on my PC seem affected, just browsers. This is only happening on my home PC which again as I stated above I am away from at the moment and therefore unable to supply logs. Please read my first post so as you understand the diagnostic steps I have already taken. As a last resort I totally reinstalled Windows (10 home 64bit) let it fully update and then installed Malwarebytes and Sophos (Sophos Endpoint Security and Control 10.7) so it was a fairly minimal build but even then the problem occurred. I apologise if I came across rude, this problem rendered my PC unusable at a really bad time for four days, it caused a lot of stress. I cannot send logs but if you need any further info please ask. 

• Root Admin

Thanks  @Jonnywithanh

Just wanted to clarify, as the other users states that Firefox does work for them. Both of you seem to be using Sophos (not sure if the exact same version and updates, etc) so that right there is a big indicator that there is probably some conflict between our program and the version of Sophos you're using. I don't see an uptick in reports of issues with Sophos (normally if something is really wrong for everyone we see an uptick in those requests for help) so it could possibly be related to some other element either software or hardware that is part of the issue.

Without being at the computer though there isn't much we can do together to try to resolve it. When do you think you'll be back to the computer and available to get logs or check things?

I would need the logs as the other user provided in order to see if I can find an obvious issue. The logs may not tell us what's wrong, but then again they might. If they don't tell us what's going on then the quickest way to verify would probably be to uninstall Sophos and Malwarebytes. Then after reboot only install Malwarebytes and verify that there are no issues. If there are still issues then we need to figure out why and fix that before reinstalling Sophos. If all looks and works well with only Malwarebytes installed then we'd install Sophos again and see if the issues comes back again. If it does then I'd suggest trying to disable the Malwarebytes modules one by one until the issue goes away so that we can isolate and verify which module is in conflict.

The below method will do a Clean Removal of Malwarebytes

Please download the Malwarebytes Support Tool and use it to do a Clean Removal and reinstall of Malwarebtyes

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by the User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a check-mark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link - do not click Get Started

mbst-welcome.jpg.2300dd6068ae92db1bdc8f0

• Click the CLEAN button

mbst-clean.jpg.f6ef4b074d793ab7a1028ff08|

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to remove Malwarebytes from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • Follow the onscreen prompts to reboot and reinstall Malwarebytes

Thanks

Ron

14 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Thank you everyone for your help in working with us to help you. Let's all please try to keep civil and not make things personal.

@xenon2008

Since you say that Firefox is okay and that you have reinstalled Chrome and it continues to have an issue. I'd like to work with you on doing a clean removal of Chrome (uninstalling or reinstalling Chrome does not clear up the browser)

If you can please follow the directions from this topic to start out, and then let me know when ready and we'll look at some new logs.

@Jonnywithanh

Is Chrome the only browser with the issue for you too or does it happen with any other browser? How many computers are affected with the issue?

Thanks

Ron

Hello!

Not a single browser works properly. I've been wrong, I'm sorry.. (bad English Skills...)

As Example:Firefox hangs not, but will not Load any Website....
Google Chrome, want also load any Website and after few Minutes the complete Google Chrome Browser hangs up with  the Message "No Respond!"

I already have used the Clean Up Tool from MBAM to do a clean re install, and i already have done a clean Chrome and Firefox install. (also with deleting Browser Cache and so on..)

Best Regards

Edit:

And i have performed a Another Scan with MBAM (all Browser closed) and no Ad/Malware and so on wos found!

Edited by xenon2008
Test added

Hello Ron!

I now have uninstalled Sophos and rebootet the Computer!

Then i have enabled MBAM with all features and rebootet the Computer again!

At first glance, it now seems to work ...

Should i now install Sophos again?

What I do not understand is that there have always been no problems with both programs installed....

Best Regards

Mark

Hello Ron!

i now have installed Sophos again, and all Browser have the same error as before.... For Example Google Chrome will not respond after a few Minutes...
What can i do, so that i have Sophos and MBAM

What can I do that I can use both programs as before

Best Regards

Mark

Edited by xenon2008