Why won't MB Premium shut down?

Right-click on Notification Icon > Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1 > Quit Malwarebytes in Windows 7 Pro x64 does nothing except invoke Malwarebytes Assistant once or twice (with absolutely no effect). Why can't I quit MBAM Premium without having to shutdown and restart Windows 7?

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

I've checked for updates. Apparently I'm protected and up-to-date.

Let's just see what happens when I right-click on the MBP icon in the Notification Area and choose Quit Malwarebytes:

1057385320_mbampremium01.jpg.7f34fe07151c7ff6009aaadb6efe198c.jpg

Awesome, a.k.a Nothing... just nothing happens.

Why not?

Oh, and don't get me started on why I can't exclude particular file scans from within the Scan Results GUI to stop the same 'False Positive' nonsense day-after-day-after-day-after-day of scripts that I've written.

It's Windows... of course there's going to be some of us that choose to delete some of MS' worst nonsense... that doesnt mean to say that our attempts to curtail MS are malicious... just common sense. :)

Also, why is the MBP 3.5.1 GUI constrained, meaning that I can't resize it in order to screenshot it plus another window to show what I'm trying to describe?

Edited by RickC99

Are you logged in as an administrator, and do you have User Account Control active?  If so, you should receive a UAC prompt after clicking Quit Malwarebytes.  Select Yes and Malwarebytes should terminate from memory.  If UAC is disabled then that's likely why you can't exit Malwarebytes because it uses UAC to keep threats from terminating its processes.

Many thanks for your reply.

I'm logged on with the first (default) account (i.e. in the Administrators group) and have never changed the User Account Control defaults.

When I invoke Quit Malwarebytes from the Malwarebytes icon in the Notification Area, I do see the User Account Control (UAC) dialog.

I'm not able to screenshot it from within Windows (obviously) but I've captured one from my phone...

1378734950_mbamassistantuac.jpg.d1fbe38770f3dcbb5f9cae6d5484ff4b.jpg

Unfortunately, clicking on the Yes button does absolutely nothing... even after waiting several minutes...

Edited by RickC99

OK, thanks.  It might be an issue with one of the modules failing to unload properly.  There have been some issues with the software recently that might account for this.

Lets begin by disabling Ransomware Protection.  To do this, right-click the tray and click on Ransomware Protection: On and click Yes when prompted by UAC.  Once that's done, restart the system.

Next, keep Ransomware Protection disabled and try using the Quit Malwarebytes function in the tray again.

If that does not work, then perform the same procedure with Web Protection.

If that too fails, then open Malwarebytes and navigate to Settings>Protection and scroll down the page until you locate Startup Options and toggle the setting Enable self-protection module to Off, then restart the computer and try quitting Malwarebytes once more after it starts up to see if it now works.

Please let me know how it goes.

Excellent, so that confirms the issue, thanks. 

By the way, just to make certain that you have the latest version, please open Malwarebytes and go to Settings>About and check the Component package version.  It should be 1.0.391, but if it isn't, then go to the Settings>Application tab and click the Install Application Updates button and it should download and install it for you.  Once installed, check to see if you can then enable Ransomware Protection and still shutdown your PC without it getting hung up.

If you already had the latest version then no worries.  You'll just need to wait for a fix for the issue, hopefully in an upcoming release.

Edited by exile360

Hello again,

The team has requested diagnostic logs so that they may investigate the issue further so that they can hopefully replicate it and get it fixed, so if you would, please do the following:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced Options on the main page (not Get Started)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Thanks for this...

I've attached the zip file, as requested.

Note that I rebooted, which is unusual for me... normally I don't. Previously my PC had been up for about a month. It's just that it was unusually sluggish (even after I had reduced open tabs in Firefox from ~600 to current ~410) so I decided to clear it out.

Note also that I re-direct TEMP/TMP environment variables for both USER and SYSTEM to C:\Temp... just easier to keep an eye on the contents and clean it.

EDIT: I also note that MBAM Premium now exits immediately when I choose the option to Quit. Does this mean that I need to reboot more frequently? Is there some sort of buffer that gets filled?

mbst-grab-results.zip

Edited by RickC99
More info

I see you're running component package 1.0.374; the latest is 1.0.391, so installing it may fix the issue, or at the very least improve things.  Please open Malwarebytes and navigate to Settings>Application and click the Install Application Updates button and it should download and install the new component update.

Test that out to see how it goes and hopefully the issue will be resolved.

Keeping your system up for long periods of time shouldn't hurt anything, but it's possible if this is an undiscovered issue.  I suspect the new build might fix it though, so hopefully I'm correct in that.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

OK, well that's odd.  Please try restarting the system once more then try the button one more time, but if that doesn't work then perhaps a clean install is in order to try to get it straightened out:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced Options on the main page (not Get Started)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

Once it's installed again, try once more to use the Install Application Updates button and hopefully this time it will download and install it for you.

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks

OK, I cleaned and re-installed. (How come it remembers my licence details but forgets my scan schedule and exclusions? grrr)

Component package is now 1.0.391. Settings > Application > Install Application Updates is still showing No Updates are available... but I guess that's normal if I've just downloaded/installed the latest package.

mbam premium04.jpg

Edited by RickC99
Corrected typo

28 minutes ago, RickC99 said:

OK, I cleaned and re-installed. (How come it remembers my licence details but forgets my scan schedule and exclusions? grrr)

Component package is now 1.0.391. Settings > Application > Install Application Updates is still showing No Updates are available... but I guess that's normal if I've just downloaded/installed the latest package.

The support tool will remember your license details as those get backed up during the clean re-install process by the tool, as for exclusions and schedule/settings, they have heard our cries and will be updating the tool at some point to also save those settings.

No Updates is normal for you know as you already have the latest version installed.