Premium Trial trashed my Reason installation

Win7x64

When updating from Propellerheads Reason 10.1.1 to 10.1.2, I got the error message in 

the attached picture. I first tried Retry, and then Ignore. This totally trashed my installation, 

as neither the new or previous installation worked after this. I wasted 2 hours getting it fixed. 

No notification from Malwarebytes, nothing in the log/chest. 

I had to contact Propellerheads to get access to the old Reason installation so I could

reproduce the Error  by updating. Got the same message again and used "Retry"-button 

after killing Malwarebytes, and the installation went through without problems. 

Cheers :)

Update from R10.1d160 to R10.1.2d1 - Pulic - Error - BUG - 11.07.2018.PNG

Edited by Eagleizer
Added OS

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

It sounds like this is being caused by a known issue with the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes 3 which under certain conditions will block applications that it should not from being able to communicate with the internet.  Currently the only workaround is to either disable Web Protection temporarily when updating affected applications or keeping Web Protection turned off.

In order to supplement your protection should you need to disable Web Protection on a regular basis or to keep it disabled until this issue is fixed in an upcoming Malwarebytes release, you may install the new Malwarebytes browser plugin BETA which is available for Chrome and other Chromium based browsers as well as Mozilla Firefox.  Info and download links for each may be found at the following links:

Chrome
Firefox

The plugin will shield your browser from many web based threats, but rather than using large databases of known malicious sites and servers the way that Web Protection in Malwarebytes 3 does, the plugins instead rely more on signature-less behavioral detection of malicious content including tech support scam lockscreen sites, phishing sites, malicious and PUP plugin sites, many ad servers and trackers to help guard your privacy when surfing the web.  Even with Web Protection in Malwarebytes 3 active, the plugins are still very useful because they work differently and can block different things, and they actually work in tandem with Web Protection to help speed up browsing performance by redirecting blocked pages by Web Protection more quickly, resulting in pages and content on the web loading more quickly when those blocks occur.

Hopefully the issue with Web Protection will be fixed soon, but until it is these plugins should help provide some protection if using a compatible web browser.

54 minutes ago, Malwarebytes said:

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Hide contents

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Hide contents

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Reveal hidden contents

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

This wasted even more of my time. The tool looks nothing like that, and asks me for

email and a ticket number. I do not have a ticket number, so the tool will not allow me

to run it. :p 

I`ll leave it with that...

28 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

It sounds like this is being caused by a known issue with the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes 3 which under certain conditions will block applications that it should not from being able to communicate with the internet.  Currently the only workaround is to either disable Web Protection temporarily when updating affected applications or keeping Web Protection turned off.

In order to supplement your protection should you need to disable Web Protection on a regular basis or to keep it disabled until this issue is fixed in an upcoming Malwarebytes release, you may install the new Malwarebytes browser plugin BETA which is available for Chrome and other Chromium based browsers as well as Mozilla Firefox.  Info and download links for each may be found at the following links:

Chrome
Firefox

The plugin will shield your browser from many web based threats, but rather than using large databases of known malicious sites and servers the way that Web Protection in Malwarebytes 3 does, the plugins instead rely more on signature-less behavioral detection of malicious content including tech support scam lockscreen sites, phishing sites, malicious and PUP plugin sites, many ad servers and trackers to help guard your privacy when surfing the web.  Even with Web Protection in Malwarebytes 3 active, the plugins are still very useful because they work differently and can block different things, and they actually work in tandem with Web Protection to help speed up browsing performance by redirecting blocked pages by Web Protection more quickly, resulting in pages and content on the web loading more quickly when those blocks occur.

Hopefully the issue with Web Protection will be fixed soon, but until it is these plugins should help provide some protection if using a compatible web browser.

Thanks. I just disabled it all together. I did not want to run the trial anyway. 

Cheers :)

No problem.  You're still free to use the browser plugin if you wish.  I can attest to its effectiveness, having seen it block tons of tech support scam sites etc. while browsing, and since it is a browser extension, it doesn't need to run any additional processes or services in the background.