Hello,

Windosws 10 Pro, Up-to-date on Updates.

I saw Smartbyte Diagnostic by Rivet Networks show up on my Windows Menu for the first time on menu today. It was at the top where newly installed program are normally located. I uninstalled from the Add/Remove Programs and did a search in the registry for anything that said Rivet in it I also deleted a RivetNetworks folder via Windows Explorer which was in the Program Data folder..

I saw on another site that Microsoft has a program that you can use to clean up left over things that programs leave behind but you have to download it. I didn't download it completely but just clicked on Run when I got the prompt at the bottom as usual. I ran Malwarebytes and it did not detect anything. I then ran a full scan in Windows Defender. I left my computer for a time while it was running because it said it would take 3 hours. Defender didn't find anything.

After I came back Smartbyte Diagnostic is back again. To me, it's Malware because it is installing on my computer without my consent and I don't even know what it does. I haven't tried to run it, of course. I checked Even Viewer and at one point it looks like it tried to start but said that the progam might be uninstalled, moved, etc. So it looks like it couldn't start. A little later it starts so it looks like it tried to start and when it couldn't it downloaded another copy.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of Smartbyte Diagnostics so that it won't keep coming back? Thanks.

Hello @Bob256

Let me have you run the following and we'll see what's going on and how to stop it.

Please run the following steps and post back the logs as an attachment when ready.

STEP 01

• If you're already running Malwarebytes 3 then open Malwarebytes and check for updates. Then click on the Scan tab and select Threat Scan and click on Start Scan button.
  • If you don't have Malwarebytes 3 installed yet please download it from here and install it.
  • Once installed then open Malwarebytes and check for updates. Then click on the Scan tab and select Threat Scan and click on Start Scan button.
  • Once the scan is completed click on the Export Summary button and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find, and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If Malwarebytes won't run then please skip to the next step and let me know on your next reply.

STEP 02

Please download AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes and save the file to your Desktop.

• Right-click on the program and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Accept the Terms of use.
  • Wait until the database is updated.
  • Click Scan.
  • When finished, please click Clean.
  • Your PC should reboot now if any items were found.
  • After reboot, a log file will be opened. Copy its content into your next reply.

RESTART THE COMPUTER Before running Step 3

STEP 03
Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens, click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). If you've, run the tool before you need to place a check mark here.
  • Please attach the Additions.txt log to your reply as well.

Thanks

Ron

Hi Ron, thanks for the reply.

I had done everything you listed except exporting it to a text file and #3. I tried deleted it again and so far it hasn't come back. If it doesn't come back by this afternoon I'll come back here and close this thread. Thank you very much!

Smartbyte Diagnostic by Rivet Networks was recently contracted by Dell on May  30, 2018 for their Inspiron machines. Purportedly it is used to increase video bandwith! It is automatically generated through Dell updates or support.  It was recently added to Dell updates!  It is my experience that it will continue to load if it is not found on the target system.  Malwarebytes, has to talk Dell and test the application

Thom

Announcement:

Rivet Networks Announces SmartByte for Dell Inspiron Systems

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjsz4Ccu5TcAhVQn-AKHcaXDToQFgg2MAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.anandtech.com%2Fshow%2F11442%2Frivet-networks-announces-smartbyte-for-dell-inspiron-systems&usg=AOvVaw3z7t2U77cCUWRQ4XgKlnIY

Another thing I have noticed is that Dell keeps nagging me to run their SupportAssist program. That's not happened before. It's usually just sat out there.

I accidentally ran an uninstall program to uninstall it. It DID have an export function so I exported it. Next time it shows up I'll follow your 3rd instruction below (which was what I needed to do)

SmartByte Drivers and Services.txt

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread (click here)

Thanks

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information
  • 7 months later...

Update: 03/06/2019 the following was received by Rivet Networks which may prove helpful to users.

4 hours ago, RivetNetworks said:

We have confirmed that a large number of these problems are caused by using an outdated version of the Intel Wi-Fi driver. You can update your Intel Wi-Fi drivers to the latest version available by downloading and installing the appropriate package from Dell here – https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=vg6m5

If updating your Intel Wi-Fi driver does not resolve the issue, you may be using an outdated version of SmartByte. You can fix these problems by updating to the latest version of SmartByte, following this guide - http://support.rivetnetworks.com/knowledge-base/updating-smartbyte/

If the issue is not resolved after updating the Intel Wi-Fi driver and SmartByte, we encourage anyone still experiencing problems to reach out to us here - http://support.rivetnetworks.com/submit-a-ticket/

-- Anthony with Rivet Networks