MWBAM_Customer

Can't get Beta Component Package Update 1.0.39x

Hi,

I'm having an odd problem with MWB 3.5.1.

When I saw 1.0.390 was available, I activated beta updates (the release version was working fine). The new Component Package (CP) didn't automatically download. I left it several hours and selected "Install Application Updates". It downloaded and installed something, but the CP remained at 1.0.374. After a reboot, I checked again, it downloaded and installed something, without updating the CP.  After each reboot, a manual update check finds and installs something. Also, periodically I received a toast notification of inactive protection, which would disappear shortly afterwards without my intervention. I have done a number of clean installs, but the same behaviour remains. I have noticed that the Protection that is toggling is Web Protection, and that it stays off for around 5-10 seconds. This protection issue only occurs when on the beta stream and applies to 1.0.390 and 1.0.391. I have used the betas before, but never experienced these issues.

Any suggestions are welcome. As I say, reboots and clean installs are not fixing the issue, hence my post.

Many thanks.

Thanks for your logs. This should not matter, but just to make sure, can you try installing Malwarebytes to your C drive and see if you can update?

Hi Devin,

Thank you for your swift reply.

I've always used a custom folder. An annoyance of the support tool is that it doesn't ask where to install, so that that added an extra uninstall and reboot.

I'll run the clean tool again and let it reinstall, if it asks.

Posted (edited)

Hi Devin,

That was it, I ran the support tool to clean, rebooted. It prompted to reinstall, I toggled the beta setting, checked for updates and it worked. I'd repeated the procedure numerous times, so I believe it was the install location causing the issue. When I previously allowed the support tool to reinstall, I immediately ran the clean function when I saw that it hadn't respected my install location and didn't offer me a choice, so I didn't try the beta update at that time.

So, an interim fix for the issue. I hope it will be properly fixed - as I said, it hasn't occurred with previous betas.

I hope future testing covers a non-default install location before releases are made available as it's hardly an advanced level tweak.

Will the support tool be modified to prompt for install location in the future?

I'll PM you the new logs for your information.

Many thanks for the help.

Edit:

Forgot to mention, when this is fixed, if you could let me know, so I can remove MWB and install it in my location of choice, I'd be most appreciative.

Edited by MWBAM_Customer
Ommitted further question

We do not have plans for the support tool to allow for custom paths. If users want to use a custom path, they can choose No at the reinstall prompt and then manually install.

As for your issue, I'll have to look into that and see why that happened, as installing to a separate drive should be allowed.

Thanks Devin. Do the logs provide all the information you need?

Could a prompt be added before the reinstall procedure starts, stating that it will install to the default location? It would have saved me some time and hassle, and may well again, if I forget in the future. The advantage of the tool, is that it ensures users reinstall the latest version, rather than one lying around, or from the wrong site, which could happen with a manual install. Perhaps if the tool downloads it, and then lets the user run it themselves for a custom install?

The logs didn't really provide an indication of what's going on, just gave me some ideas of what to test.

As for the changes to the support tool, I'll pass that feedback along to our management team. I know the tool is currently designed to install to the default location on purpose and we want to remove as many clicks as possible so users can easily install. Clean installing isn't always needed as the uninstaller should work the majority of the time. So a lot of times, it may be easier to just uninstall manually and re-install to the directory you wish to install to.

Well the issue, here at least, was repeatable. If I can help further, just ask.

I appreciate it's a balancing act between ease of use and features. I played it safe and went with the clean install as I knew there was an issue somewhere. Actually the support tool was a bit hit and miss. I think it crashed a couple of times, didn't restart after boot a few times, so it got some use with repeated running.

Perhaps if the post reboot response offered two options - to reinstall, or just download the latest version, that might be a workable compromise. Then the custom installers have the latest version downloaded and ready to run, and those that just want a default install have no further clicks.

If I might make a suggestion, it would be helpful if MWB 3 created a text file of all the non-default settings. Sometimes it can be hard to remember back to what you changed when, but having a list of all the changes a user made would greatly assist with the post-install configuration. That way, the clean installation is maintained, and the user has a reference of what settings they changed, and can go straight to them, rather than having to check every setting and try to remember if they changed it and how. Typing this has reminded me that I haven't customised the scans, for example.

@MWBAM_Customer - We were able to reproduce the issue you are seeing and we will notify our developers.  Thank you for the feedback and letting us know about the issue!

You're welcome, happy to help. When a beta/release is made available which fixes the issue, will this be mentioned? I'd rather not uninstall and reinstall to change the location until the issue has been addressed, otherwise there'll be another uninstall and reinstall after those to change the location back again.

Does my suggestion of a text file for the changed settings sound possible/of interest?

We have plans to integrate some type of settings backup functionality into the support tool so you're settings won't be erased.

That would be very welcome. Would a manual install then detect those, to account for custom install locations, or just an install through the support tool?

One further suggestion, if I may, in the blue ribbon at the top of the MWB window, if there was an "i" icon, or similar, that linked to the about tab, it would be a handy shortcut.

I see that the release of MWB 3.51 has been updated to include CP 1.0.391. Does a clean install of the latest release have issues with installation location, or is that just when the CP is updated from previous versions? The issue isn't mentioned in the announcement.

The installer will have component update 1.0.391 and should not have issues with installation.

The problem is when the component update is being applied but MBAM is installed on a different drive.

So should I stay with my current install as it is? I don't want to change the location if it will cause the Web Protection issue again, or prevent further component updates from installing.

Your current installation should be fine. There were no changes from the beta version of 1.0.391 and the release version of 1.0.391

Although my installation functions correctly and I've had no issues since, it is installed in the wrong location, so when the issue is fixed, I want to uninstall MWB from the default location and reinstall it where it was originally.