background??

Hello all,

great program here.  I am wondering, is malwarebyes running in the background of my PC?  I have an HP workstation, with windows 7.  It seems that I need to start the program whenever I power on the PC.  Does malwarebytes need to be running in the background and, if yes, how can I configure it to run whenever I turn on the PC?  thanks!

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings and welcome,

Whether Malwarebytes should be running in the background depends on whether you are using the free version or the paid/Premium version.  If it is the free version then no, it shouldn't be as it's just an on-demand scanner (though it will perform a daily scheduled scan for you by default), however if it is the paid/Premium version then it should run on its own on system start to protect you and should show up in the system tray near the clock.

If you would, please do the following so that we can take a look at what's going on with your installation of Malwarebytes:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced Options on the main page (not Get Started)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Thanks

Yes, you should assuming you've activated it with your license key that you should have received via email after purchasing it.  You should see the blue Malwarebytes icon on the lower right side of the Windows task bar near the system clock.  If you open Malwarebytes it should say Malwarebytes Premium at the top, that's how you know it has been activated.  If you have not activated it with your license key yet then you may do so by following the instructions in this support article.

Malwarebytes covers everything, however it is still designed to be able to run along side other security products like McAfee so it's up to you whether you want to keep McAfee or not.  You can find more info on that subject in this FAQ entry and you can find more detailed information about the various layers of protection in Malwarebytes and how each one works to keep your system safe on this page.

If there is anything else we might assist you with please don't hesitate to let us know.

Hello,

I've decided to run the ZIP file and send it to you because I've had some strange things happen here.

First, I was away from home today and turned on my PC; my start options open my firefox to the yahoo page.  After it finished booting and went into the internet, i looked up at the desktop and found one of those 3rd party, phoney web-sites that warn you your PC is infected-- asking for my user name and password and telling me to call a toll-free number immediately.  I could not get off the page and had to re-boot my PC.

When I PC came back up, I went into malwarebytes.  When i click on the icon next to the clock, it says that Web Protection is off.  When I opened malwarebytes the first time, both two of the options were off, and I could not turn them on.i think they were web protection and malware protection.  I exited the program and went back in; all four items  said to be turned on within the program, but the little pop=up still  says that web protection is off (see two photos). 

NOt a great start here.... please help!  thanks!

mbst-grab-results.zip

IMG_8159.JPG

IMG_8158.JPG

Your logs show that everything is OK and that your protection is on.  I believe the issue with the tray menu is due to a bug that was fixed in the most recent beta release.  Please open Malwarebytes and navigate to Settings>Application and scroll down until you locate the Beta Application Updates section and then enable the Automatically receive beta versions of component updates and full releases option by toggling it to On, then scroll back up within the same tab until you locate the Install Application Updates button and click on it.  It should then download and install the new beta build.  Once it is installed, go ahead and restart your system and let me know if it's now working properly or not.

Since you are using Firefox as your web browser, I'd also highly recommend installing the Malwarebytes extension for Firefox as it adds additional protection capabilities within your browser for blocking malicious web content and works in tandem with the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes 3 to enhance its capabilities.

If you are still having any problems with any scam websites showing up or any other problems please let me know.

Thanks

hello,

I am still having a strange problem.  I have my computer configured to open to my YAHOO page within firefox.  I did the updates you suggested (extension for firefox and the beta app update).  when my computer opens to the yahoo page, malwarebytes sends a message stating the "website is blocked due to suspicious activity" (see attachment).

I am only going directly to www.yahoo.com, I do not understand why this is happening, nor do I know what to do about it.  thanks.

alan

yahoo block.docx

Hello, I was not home when I got your response and my PC was turned off.  WHen i got home and powered it on, it opened yahoo and remained open for about 1 minute (or maybe a little less), and then I got the message again about the "suspicious activity".  I turned off WEB PROTECTION and restarted the PC, and went to the kitchen for a few minutes to make lunch.  YAHOO opened without a problem, so I am guessing the problem is with WEB PROTECTION.

I am guessing (1) it is OK to go to yahoo.com, and since this is the only website with the issue, (2) I am also guessing its ok to turn WEB PROTECTION back on.  (3)  I would request that you contact me once with issue is resolved although (4) it isn't really too good that the program is telling me that there is "suspicious activity" when I shouldn't be getting the message. How would I know if it is an accurate threat or not?

Please let me know.  thanks.

alan

Yes, it's fine to visit Yahoo.  You may turn Web Protection back on, however you should be aware that this may happen with other websites and software in the future until the bug is fixed.  This is the result of a recent bug in the latest version of Malwarebytes.  Hopefully it will be fixed in one of the upcoming releases, however that depends on how quickly the Developers are able to track down the issue and fix it.  Until then there is no way to know if a block is legitimate or the result of the bug, so the only way to know for certain would be to post here on the forums and ask.  Since that could get pretty tedious, I'd suggest either disabling it and just using the browser extension for now so that you'll still have some protection from malicious sites when surfing the web, or just living with the issue until it gets fixed since it doesn't seem to be blocking anything it shouldn't besides Yahoo on your system.

Unfortunately we don't have a system which automatically notifies users when a particular bug is fixed in a product release, however if you keep an eye on the forums here for new product releases which are posted in pinned topics at the top of this area (such as this one) you can check to see the changes announced to find out if this specific bug is mentioned in the list of fixes, however generally unless they're rolling out a minor component update (like version 1.0.390 which is currently in beta), new releases only come around once every few months or so because of the time it takes to write and test the new code before releasing it, and currently to my knowledge the Developers haven't even been able to determine the exact cause of this particular issue yet so it may be a while before a fixed version is available.  It's not impossible that they won't soon discover it, but they've been hunting down this particular bug for a while now and sadly I don't think they even know yet how to reliably replicate it, much less fix it so it's probably going to be a while.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything, I just don't want to give you a sense of false hope either.  I know that they're working hard on this issue, it's just that this particular bug seems to be a particularly difficult one to track down which likely means it's going to take more time to find a solution and fix it.

By the way, since in your particular case it is a website being blocked, not a certain application as some users are reporting, the fix for your particular issue just might be included in a new beta they just posted up.  Please refer to this thread for details.

If you wish to install beta updates, open Malwarebytes and navigate to Settings>Application and scroll down the page until you locate the Beta Application Updates section and then switch the Automatically receive beta versions of component updates and full releases setting On, then scroll back up on the same page until you locate the Install Application Updates button and click on it.  It should download the most recent beta build and install it for you.  You can check the Settings>About tab in Malwarebytes to determine what version you have installed.  The most recent beta is Component package version: 1.0.391 and the one prior to that was 1.0.390 (you may get either depending on when they fully roll out the 1.0.391 update, so if you get 1.0.390 just wait a few minutes and then try again by clicking the Install Application Updates button once more).

If you do decide to install the beta, please reboot your system just to make certain all the new components are loaded into memory, then test your browser to see if Yahoo is still being blocked and let me know how it goes.  They want to know if this issue is fixed for everyone affected by it to make sure that the fix worked for everyone.

Wait, so you enabled the option as illustrated in the below image?:

Beta.png.3be39f5b77ab0c9be827a8ffc352570e.png

Then you clicked the button illustrated below and it said no updates were available?:

Install.png.8c643fe6dbbf191cd801a6b9936b8d7e.png

What does it say in the circled area below on your system?:

Component.png.2d0e2b394aea91ec3af87654a975a646.png

I think it should exclude all sub-domains, yes, however I am not positive (though it's possible that it might not even block them anyway, as I'm not completely certain of all of the details of the issue so it might not even be necessary).

Ah, I see, so you did receive version 1.0.391 today, good.

Can you please try rebooting your system since you now have it and then test again to see if Yahoo is still being blocked?  I just want to make absolutely certain that the issue is not fixed because we'll need to report that to the Product team so that they're aware of it.

NO sir, it was NOT today..  You suggested I update to version 1.0.391 a few days ago, the day that I upgraded to premium.  And so, I've had this version 1.0.391 for several days and the problem with Yahoo commenced yesterday.  If you look at your post from TUESDAY, time-stamped 6:02PM, you will see that this is when you first suggested that i do the BETA APPLICATION UPDATES.. So today is Thursday, and I did the BETA APP UPDATES on Tuesday.

Apologies, a few days ago I was actually referring to version 1.0.390 which came out a number of days ago (version 1.0.391 was published earlier today as mentioned in this thread (notice the text in bold red which mentions today's date when it was last updated) and they specifically mentioned the issue where certain websites would fail to load properly so I thought it might be the issue you were seeing).