sethm1

System restore points are missing

For some reason after a scan and a reboot of my win 10 pc, my manually saved restore points are gone.  Not sure if its malwarebytes or not - so is there a setting its program that i need to change?

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link

welcome mbst.png

• Click the Gather Logs button

gatherlogs.png

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

This also being noticed via CCleaner forum - the restore points are missing under the system restore tab of that software.
Don’t know whether it is MB or CCleaner which is removing them or whether there’s a bug somewhere.

I just suggested on the CC forum that it's worth checking Windows built in 'Storage Sense'; this may have been changed to automatic cleaning and be removing old restore points.

It's found at:

Settings>System>Storage.

Edited by nukecad

Just another, more basic, thought.

If you are creating many manual restore points then is there enough space allocated for them?
(Again Windows may have altered/reset this during the spring update).

In settings find and click 'Create a restore point' and in the dialogue select the 'System Protection' tab and then 'Configure'.
You'll now see a setting for 'Disk Space Usage' where you can change how much is allocated for restore points etc. if it's not big enough for your needs then old restore points will be deleted.

Clipboard01.gif.1b913284db9e8efe9d34b8d74efd2d67.gif

Edited by nukecad

Mine set at 5% as well or 11gb. At one point i only had 3 manual restore points - so that cant be excessive.

It probably is some app that's clearing them, at least you have ruled out the 2 main Windows components that might have been causing it.

Just to ask do you use CCleaner as well?

The person reporting the same issue on the CCleaner forum thinks that, from the timing, it's either CCleaner or a Malwarebytes (free) threat scan.
I suppose it could be some funny combination of the 2 ? (There was a different one recently with CC and the MB Firefox extension).

TBH restore points are not something that I look at often, but I note that I only have 2 at the moment.
(I might create some more manual ones and keep an eye on them).

Yes, use ccleaner.

originally i thought the culprit was superantispyware - there was a setting that was unchecked - ignore system restore points. I checked it. Ran it and every thing ok- other than a ton of suspicious entries. Super has been finding a ton ss compared to windows 7. 

So must be an issue within windows itself.  The Microsoft community had no answers.

Ugggh.

I did some testing last night which I posted about on the CC forum. (Sorry can't link it from this stupid phone but it should be easy enough to find).

The results of that also seem to indicate that it's not MB or CC.

My feeling is that it's 1803 removing them in the background for some reason.

I thought the problem of disappearing restore points caused byba 3rd party program/scan - but yes i think its Windows.

last nite when i logged in I created a restore point. Then another hr later. Then another.  By 10 pm - all gone !

One of the users who reported this on the CCleaner forum is using Vista, so while it may be Windows it's not just 1803.

They have done quite a bit more digging into system logs etc. and seem to now think it's a strange combination of running CC, running a threat scan with MB3.5, and then Windows trying to create a restore point?

I also noticed that my recent volsnap errors occurred if my system was trying to automatically create a system restore point on the same dates that I ran a CCleaner disk clean followed by a Malwarebytes Threat Scan.

Here's a link to the thread over there: https://forum.piriform.com/topic/52154-system-restore-points-are-missing/

Edited by nukecad

I have observed many copies of the encrypted registry hives that Malwarebytes creates during scans being left behind in Malwarebytes data folder recently from many users' Malwarebytes Support Tool logs/MB-Check logs.  I do not know if the issue is directly related to CCleaner or if it is simply an underlying issue with Malwarebytes that may be a contributing factor, but either way I am submitting this information to the Malwarebytes team for further analysis and investigation because I know for a fact that Malwarebytes is normally supposed to delete those files once each scan completes (they are created to allow scanning and modification of offline user registry hives so that a scan from a single user account can detect threats and threat traces in the registry hives of other offline users on the system, thus eliminating the need to scan each user account to detect and remove all threats on a system).

I removed Malwarebytes but still have the problem.  I have not yet removed Ccleaner.

An odd thing is that yesterday a short day at work, so came home and began toying with the PC. Created a manual restore point and all seemed fine until the evening. So IS something on the system wiping points out after 6pm or just a big coincidence?

adding this to the ccleaner forum.

Edited by sethm1

It's certainly possible.  If Windows has some kind of maintenance task configured to automatically purge restore points then that would explain it.  It could also be some third party tool if you have any kind of system optimizing software and/or temp/junk cleaning software (anything similar to CCleaner basically).

Since you've narrowed it down to a specific window of time, I'd suggesting checking your scheduled tasks to see if anything is configured to run around that time which might account for it.