As many have found, when installing Malwarebytes on a Mac running High Sierra, I could not install system extensions that enable Real-Time Protection. I do understand it’s not a bug, it’s a feature on Apple’s part. After multiple searches here and elsewhere on the Interweb, no fixes worked for me. No matter how many times I tried to “Allow” in the Security System Preferences nothing would happen. Finally it dawned on me to try “allowing” in Safe Mode. Lo-and-behold, everything is loaded and I have Real-Time Protection switched on.

So for the simple home user who is just trying to get a little protection for their Mac without wading into Console or Terminal mode or trying to adjust kernel permissions, here is what worked for me:

Turn your Mac off, wait 10 sec (per Apple), then turn it back on while holding down the Shift key. Note: If you usually use a wireless keyboard, use the keyboard on your MacBook/MB Pro or a USB keyboard if you are not on a laptop. Wait for the computer to start up. It will take a longer than usual. Once the desktop is back, it should say “Safe Boot” up in or near the menu bar. Launch Malwarebytes. Try turning on Real-Time Protection. When you get to the point where you are asked to “Allow” system software installation, click “Allow” just like you have every time before. I immediately got another dialog box this time saying Restart was necessary to complete the installation. Restart, again, WITHOUT holding the Shift key. This time I was greeted by a cheerful congratulatory Malwarebytes window saying everything was installed and I had Real-Time Protection as promised with my Premium subscription.

Sorry if this fix has already been posted elsewhere, but I never found it on my own searches. And apologies if this doesn’t work for others. I know how frustrating it can be.

• Staff

Thanks for the info!

We've noticed some folks having trouble with pushing that button. Unfortunately, the button is controlled entirely by macOS, and it seems that there are some bugs involved. ? Hopefully, your workaround will help folks solve this!

Incidentally, for other readers, it's important to note that there's also a case where clicking the Allow button will never work: clicking via screen sharing or via some kind of automated script. For security reasons, Apple does not allow that to be done. However, they also don't show any kind of error message explaining why in these situations.