Web Protection won't turn on for me

On 4/18/2018 at 10:26 AM, exile360 said:

In the command prompt, enter the following text and press Enter:

SC DELETE MBAMWebProtection

After doing this, I get the error as per the attachment. What directory is this command supposed to be entered in? Is this actually supposed to be done *after* quitting MB as stated, or before?

In the meantime, I reopened MB and web protection is on again, so the above command wasn't needed. I now have the recently released (June 2018) Version 3.5.1.2522 and the problem started shortly after installation. I've had the same problem with previous MB versions too. When is MB going to fix this recurring problem permanently? Paid subscribers shouldn't have to deal with a repeatedly malfunctioning product.

Capture.PNG

Edited by OzMerry

Greetings,

The image is correct.  When executed with administrative privileges the command prompt runs from System32 which is where it should be.

The error message indicates that the web protection service/driver isn't installed/registered which is what's causing it to fail to function.  The instructions I provided actually should cause the service to be removed, however when launched again, Malwarebytes attempts to reinstall the services/drivers, including the Web Protection driver, which will usually fix it if it was just a problem with it not being activated/registered properly.  At this point we'll need to diagnose what's going on and why the web protection driver is failing to install/register correctly on your system.  Please do the following so that we may take a look at what's going on with your installation of Malwarebytes:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced Options on the main page (not Get Started)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

As for fixing the issue, the problem is that there are many potential causes for the Web Protection component to fail.  The reason is that, on top of more common issues such as permissions issues, registry corruption, conflicts with other software or even hardware drivers, because the Web Protection driver hooks into the Windows Filtering Platform, the same framework/APIs used by the built in Windows Firewall, any issues and dependencies that affect those sub-systems might also cause problems with the Web Protection component so it has a lot of dependencies and complicated components that, if there exists any corruption or failure in any, could potentially cause Web Protection to malfunction.  The Developers have actually corrected the vast majority of known causes for these kinds of issues with Web Protection over the past several releases of Malwarebytes and we've been seeing far fewer reports of these problems than we used to, however it is still very possible that some as of yet undiagnosed causes/issues still remain and of course it is also possible that some other underlying cause that isn't part of the Malwarebytes software needs to be dealt with (like some of the issues I mentioned previously as potential causes).  They do try to make the software and all of its components as robust and resilient as possible, however there are some situations that cannot be fixed on our end which is always one of the challenges that comes with developing any kind of anti-malware solution since it must hook in pretty deeply into the core components and systems of the operating system.

Thanks.  First off, I see that you have some Killer Networking hardware (both a wireless card and ethernet NIC) and we've had problems with some of their drivers in the past, so lets start by getting your Killer Networking drivers updated to the latest.  Please download and install the latest Killer Networking driver suite from here.  Once it is installed, you should be prompted to restart your system, please do so and then see how Malwarebytes is working.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, then please make certain that your Kaspersky security solution is up-to-date as we've also seen problems with some versions of their software.  The latest version of Kaspersky Total Security is Kaspersky Total Security 2018 which you should be able to download from this page (click the DOWNLOAD NOW button next to Protection for PC).  Once your Kaspersky is fully up-to-date (assuming it wasn't already), make sure you restart to complete the upgrade process then check Malwarebytes again to see if it's functioning properly.

If it isn't, then go ahead and create exclusions in Kaspersky for Malwarebytes' components listed in this support article as instructed in this Kaspersky knowledgebase article.

Once that's done, if you're still having trouble, try temporarily disabling/exiting Kaspersky Total Security to test and see if Malwarebytes is then able to activate the Web Protection component (once you have disabled/exited Kaspersky, right-click the Malwarebytes tray icon and select Quit Malwarebytes then click Yes when prompted by User Account Control, then launch Malwarebytes again via the desktop or START menu>All Programs shortcut).  If it works after this, then it's possible that there is a conflict with one of the components in Kaspersky Total Security causing this issue which means some work may be required either on their end or by the Malwarebytes Developers to solve the problem.  If that does turn out to be the case I will notify our Quality Assurance and Product teams so that they may test and verify the issue to see what can be done on our end to fix it.

Please let me know how it goes and if any of the above solved the issue.

Thanks

Kaspersky is definitely the latest version. Dell Support Assist seems to get itself muddled and doesn't work properly sometimes resulting in failed updates, which happened this week. I'll have a look at what you've suggested for the Dell drivers and Kaspersky exclusions and get back to you.

Thanks very much for your help :).