Unable to contact license server - Huh?

Today, and on a couple of recent occasions before today, a warning popped up from Malwarebytes saying "Unable to contact license server.  Check your network connection or contact your system administrator for help." I checked my Internet connection. I was "connected" and had "Internet Access." Moreover, I clearly DO have Internet Access because I am able to go to various websites (e.g. this one) and email programs and use them.  What's most annoying today is that the Malwarebytes "unable to connect" message won't go away, no matter what I do. I haven't tried rebooting, but that shouldn't be necessary, and at the moment it wouldn't be convenient.  The entire Malwarebytes screen is also open (in addition to the smaller notification), but Malwarebytes is inoperative--I click on Scan or on Reports or close but nothing happens.  I'm using Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1.  Actually, I guess I will reboot, but there's clearly something amiss with Malwarebytes--my other programs seem to be working just fine and there's no problem with my Internet access.

mbam_problem.png

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link
    welcome mbst.png
  • Click the Gather Logs button
    gatherlogs.png
  • A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:
    Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

_mb_attach.jpg.a0465aaafd6cae688aa38ab16

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information

After I got back tonight, I checked with Windows Updates, which indicated that there were four updates related to Net 4 that I should install. I did so, but Malwarebytes Support Tool still claimed "Net 4.0 Updates are required, but not detected on this machine. Please check for the latest .NET updates using Windows Update and then try again." I then rebooted, hoping that might make a difference. It didn't. I keep getting the same message. I seem to be at an impasse. Windows Updates is not saying there are more updates that I should install, but the Malwarebytes Support Tool won't work with the updates I've installed and it doesn't tell me which specific updates it's looking for but not finding.

I'm not sure what to do. My computer is working, there are no obvious signs of malware, and two Malwarebytes scans (this morning and tonight) were both clean, as were all previous scans. As far as I can tell, the only problem is a perplexing Malwarebytes notification claiming that it's unable to contact my license server and that I should check my network connection, but when I check, there's nothing wrong with my network connection.  Today the notification was an annoying problem because it paralyzed Malwarebytes and it wouldn't disappear from my screen. The other few times it appeared I could just click on it and turn it off.  That notification is not currently on my screen.  Perhaps the most sensible thing under the circumstances is for me to forget about this issue and hope that the puzzling notification doesn't reappear and that I never have to use the Malwarebytes Support Tool.

@whatmeworry?

If you are running Windows Vista/7, please install the following .NET version:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642

After installing .NET 4.5 from that link, Support Tool should open correctly.

If you are running Windows XP, please PM me and I will get you the right update to .NET to help run the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Thank you

Thanks VERY much, vbarytskyy, for your helpful response. This morning, I turned on my computer and found that Malwarebytes web protection was turned off and would not turn back on. I have no idea whether one of the files I installed from Windows Updates yesterday caused this problem or whether the cause lies elsewhere, but I am very glad that, following your instructions, I've now gotten the Support Tool to work. I've attached the file it made. I should also note that in trying to deal with the turning off of web protection, I turned off self-protection; I had some vague memory of that proving useful in the past. However, it made no difference. Web protection is still turned off. I don't know whether I should turn self-protection back on. 

Anyway, at the moment I have not had a recuurence of the annoying "unable to contact license server" message, but I very much need help with the fact that Malwarebytes web protection is turned off.

mbst-grab-results.zip

Well, Malwarebytes is now reporting that Web Protection is turned on!  However, the little MBAM icon in the system tray has a warning triangle, and when I hover over it it claims simply "protection disabled."  At first I thought that it was referring to Self-Protection, which I turned off in an attempt to get Web Protection to turn on.  But when I right-click on the little icon, it tells me that Web Protection is turned off!   So which should I believe, the app interface or the little system-tray icon?

Edited by whatmeworry?

You're welcome.  Yep, looks like it's definitely not fixed.  That error usually indicates that it can't start the service and/or one or more of the drivers used for protection.  I'm guessing the Support guys are going to have further troubleshooting steps for you, but in the meantime if you haven't already done so, I'd suggest attempting a clean install to see if it's maybe just a corrupt install causing the problems:

1. Run the Malwarebytes Support Tool once more
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced Options on the main page (not Get Started) again
  3. But this time, click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest legacy OS version (for XP/Vista) from here

Be sure to reboot your system after the installation completes, even if it doesn't prompt you to do so just to make sure everything gets a fresh start.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks, Exile, for your quick reply. I was surprised that the problem could be a corrupt install, since it has been quite a while since I installed the current version and I haven't had problems until very recently. I decided that before I did a complete clean and reinstall, I'd try one more thing. I simply shut the computer down and then started it up again. All went normally, including Malwarebytes coming up in the system tray with no warning signs (and all the protections checked). And the interface was the normal one, showing me that web protection was on  (and so was self-protection, which I had turned off in trying to see whether that affected web protection. It didn't, but I left it off anyway.)  I'm a bit superstitious about saying that all is well, but all really does seem to be well.  The "unable to contact license server message" hasn't reappeared, web protection is on, Malwarebytes started at startup as it usually does, etc.  I have no idea why these problems occurred, nor why they went away, but I'm thinking that perhaps the most sensible thing to do right now is to assume that all is well, since all seems well. I will run yet another scan with Malwarebytes, but if comes up clean and no other problems occur or return, I think I won't run the support tool to do a clean and re-install. Am I being foolish?

Sounds reasonable to me :)

An installation can become corrupted pretty much at any time and is more often than not the result of a database update or program version upgrade where one or more of the config files becomes corrupted (though it's also possible for any other file to become corrupt, it's just less likely since they aren't as malleable as the config files and databases are) or one of the older drivers or executables from the previous version is left behind, failing to be replaced by the newer version during a program update/upgrade.

But yeah, if all seems well, then go ahead and leave it as-is and just let us know if the issue returns or if any additional problems pop up and we can go from there.

Many thanks, Exile, for your informative response. I'm glad you feel it's OK for me not to pursue this further right now. I've run yet another Malwarebytes scan, and it too says everything seems to be behaving as it should. If the situation should change, I'll definitely be back.  Again, thanks very much for your help.